• Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh balls!! I thought CC was back, I miss him :o:cry:
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    When i was growing up meat was never on the menu at school on a Friday.

I traditionally do not eat meat on a Friday mainly out of practice rather than religious grounds.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonderful, i'll get to listen to half the people in work banging on about how they can't eat meat, despite the fact that they eat meat every other Friday, get sloshed every weekend, live in sin with their boyfriends, swear like troopers, break lent and attend mass once a year at Christmas.

Just smile and nod. Smile and nod.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Wonderful, i'll get to listen to half the people in work banging on about how they can't eat meat, despite the fact that they eat meat every other Friday, get sloshed every weekend, live in sin with their boyfriends, swear like troopers, break lent and attend mass once a year at Christmas.

Just smile and nod. Smile and nod.

I know. Its a bugger when people are inconsistent and imperfect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Well I plan to have a beef casserole tomorrow. :)
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    Well I plan to have a beef casserole tomorrow. :)

Do you roll your beef around in seasoned flour and brown it off before you casserole it.?
    I've looked for a non innuendo smilie and there is none to be found.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Do you roll your beef around in seasoned flour and brown it off before you casserole it.?
    I've looked for a non innuendo smilie and there is none to be found.

Indeed I do, it improves the flavour no end.

Then bung everything in the slow cooker and let it simmer away for 8 hours. Bloody lovely and tender.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    I won't be eating meat tomorrow, I'm not a practising catholic although raised as one but it's been a tradition all my life and it's a sign of respect to my nan who is a staunch catholic. It's one day, I eat a lot of meat so a bit of fish will be nice.

So if you're eating fish you are eating meat then?
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    So if you're eating fish you are eating meat then?

Fish is not considered meat by Catholics because the original law written in Latin calls meat 'carne'. This in Latin refers to warm-blooded land animals and therefore excludes fish as meat. Fish are considered under a different category because it does not come from land animals or birds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fish is not considered meat by Catholics because the original law written in Latin calls meat 'carne'. This in Latin refers to warm-blooded land animals and therefore excludes fish as meat. Fish are considered under a different category because it does not come from land animals or birds.

Ah, so that's the wacky Catholic logic which means that puffins and beavers are considered not meat too I guess.

Still, I hate to break it to you, it's meat.
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    When I was a young girl we only ever had fish on on a Friday, tomorrow we will have chicken curry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah, so that's the wacky Catholic logic which means that puffins and beavers are considered not meat too I guess.

Still, I hate to break it to you, but it's meat.

Last I checked puffins were a bird and beavers an animal so erm yeah they are meat :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last I checked puffins were a bird and beavers an animal so erm yeah they are meat :confused:

According to some Catholics they're not.

And if they consider the flesh of a fish to not be meat (even though it is) then there's no reason why birds and beavers can't also not be meat as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meat was rich peoples food. The no meat thing was meant for them originally. And rich peolle have always put effort into bending rules. It has never been a case of replacing meat with fish - for most of the world a portion of either would be brilliant.
    Thats why the emphasis nowadays is to do or give something for charity as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member

And if they consider the flesh of a fish to not be meat (even though it is) then there's no reason why birds and beavers can't also not be meat as well.

So you're talking about some processes that date from the 1600's, how many people do you think still acknowledge that? I'm not saying that there won't be, I think the number will be pretty small though. I actually had to google it and there's never been any of them on my, my mums, my grandparents, great grandparents table so I don't think it's all catholics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see references for that assertion.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Depends on what your definition of beaver is I guess. Hey it is almost Friday :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an orthodox I have been fasting for Holy Week (I can't manage the whole 50 days) which means no meat, no milk or anything dairy and no olive oil
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed I do, it improves the flavour no end.

Then bung everything in the slow cooker and let it simmer away for 8 hours. Bloody lovely and tender.

Do you have potato with it?
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't be eating meat. I'm a vegan though, so every day is a no-meat day :p
  • Options
    tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    I'm not a big fan of meat, in fact I'd probably struggle a lot more to eat it than to avoid it.

Tomorrow will certainly not be a problem for me :)
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    i wont eat meat on good friday as its important to preserve our traditions..ill be having fish probably but then i dont eat much meat these days anyway
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of callouses on his feet.
    He also ate very little, which made him rather frail, and with his bad diet he suffered from bad breath.
    This made him a super-calloused-fragile-mystic-hexed-by-halitosis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    I won't be eating meat. I'm a vegan though, so every day is a no-meat day :p

So you've got no probs with the new gov guideline of...what is it now...10 veg per day?
    As a veggie can you and do you do that.
    My brain starts to fart a lot at the thought of combining any more than 5 veg per serving.
    I think even Gordon or Jamie could struggle to pull that off every day.
  • Options
    ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was raised catholic and I'm having a roast tomorrow, oppsies.