Options

Eastenders- Still Missing Gripping Drama Element?

dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
Forum Member
While Eastenders Has Improved is it just me or is it still missing that Gripping edgy Drama it was once famous for the two big story's with mystery Lucys Death And Who is Charlie Cotton are being put on the back burner so they can drag it out .

While i agree Eastenders need some long term story's a few darker short time ones at the forefront to keep the viewers engaged is certainly needed ....

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    SoggyFroggySoggyFroggy Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree. All the short term story lines are becoming predictable. For example Johnny's packed his bags and left, but we all know he'll be back. Roxy will find out about her boyfriend's (can't remember his name) wife and child. I don't really care about the Tosh/Tina storyline. I think Sonia could be quite interesting. Phil/Sharon bore me.

In a nutshell, i'm not finding it that exciting at the moment. They need more cliffhangers, more edge, less predictability.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's better, but the pacing is still all wrong. Just as one story gets gripping, it's abandoned. Still, too much going on at once is far better than what we had last year, i.e. nothing happening at all, and storylines being dragged out for weeks.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    The only stories I find interesting ATM are Dot/Charlie/Yvonne and Shirley/Mick/Dean, and these are both long running. So, yes, there's no interesting drama right now. Stacey and Ronnie could have both added interest to the show but it was a case of blink and you missed them.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying it right, good range of different types of characters, I can't wait for Ben's return!

Much better than Lorraine s crap!
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was liking the array of characters they had going for a while, but I am glad the Beales have been shown less recently. But of course, that just means a focus on the Mitchells and the Carters again. I suppose it just depends WHICH Mitchell/Carter is getting the screentime though. For instance, Shirley, Phil and Sharon have been good this week, but Johnny, Linda, Tina and Roxy have been a yawnfest.
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree OP! It needs to be gritty! It's coming across bland.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    Bring back Chrissie watts - she knows how to generate drama in spades.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you talking about?

I have gripping drama everytime Roxy appears! :D:D:D
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While Eastenders Has Improved is it just me or is it still missing that Gripping edgy Drama it was once famous for the two big story's with mystery Lucys Death And Who is Charlie Cotton are being put on the back burner so they can drag it out .

While i agree Eastenders need some long term story's a few darker short time ones at the forefront to keep the viewers engaged is certainly needed ....

Any thoughts?

yes, Charlies SL has been forgotten
    Lucys SL is being dragged out for far to long IMO
    I really dont care about Sharon and Phil, ditto with Shirley and Mick
    Disappointed Ronnie and Stacey have been written out (I know SM has other filming commitments but Im still disappointed)
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I think some incidental music and dramatic cliffhangers would help spice up the missing drama element. have a look at these 2 minute clips as examples and you will see how they will work on EE

http://youtu.be/b6y-ZES7YqA?t=43s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X84tw1fDHjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NVR-qwjgiw
    ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y486cvL-zo )
  • Options
    Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    yes, Charlies SL has been forgotten
    Lucys SL is being dragged out for far to long IMO
    I really dont care about Sharon and Phil, ditto with Shirley and Mick
    Disappointed Ronnie and Stacey have been written out (I know SM has other filming commitments but Im still disappointed)

Has Stacey actually gone then? I didn't really see much of her return, but how pointless if she is gone for good now.

Lacey Turner could do a lot better anyway. I'm surprised she went back in the first place, she got quite a lot of work after leaving!

And them dragging out Lucy's storyline until next year is just ridiculous.
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how it can make gripping drama every day of the week without it becoming sensationalist and overly focused on doom and gloom. I thought Sharon's attack was pretty gripping and I am not bored by any storylines or characters at the minute, I really am happy with the way DTC is handling Eastenders. My only complaint is I would like to see more of the Dot and Charlie storyline however.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Stacey actually gone then? I didn't really see much of her return, but how pointless if she is gone for good now.

Lacey Turner could do a lot better anyway. I'm surprised she went back in the first place, she got quite a lot of work after leaving!

And them dragging out Lucy's storyline until next year is just ridiculous.

I am assuming so............

I might be wrong but she hasnt been seen on screen for ages and I havent heard anything about her returning any time soon...............
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its better than it was last year and the year before that but!

It has still got some lame characters and sub plots which need addressing.

In it's current format it will not win back the old viewers who deserted the show under the previous producer.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I agree. I'm enjoying Shirley/Mick/Dean and the possiblity of meeting Sylvie and Andy and I'm enjoying Dot/Yvonne/Charlie/Nick. The Carters are a brilliant addition as is Aleks. I was enjoying the darker side of Masood but that seems to have been forgotten.
    I think there is too many pregnancies, what with Cindy, Kat and now Ronnie. Just more kids where they have to continually make up excuses for why they aren't around. (Amy, Denny for example)
    I couldn't give a fig about the Brannings or Bianca and her kids and im fed up of Phil.
    With Ian and Rainie, if he was kerb crawling, would it not be sensible to find and sleep with someone who doesn't know you or where you live?
    Overall, the show is in much better shape than last year but pacing seems to be an issue and we get left with filler weeks which lack drama.
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    olivej wrote: »
    I am assuming so............

I might be wrong but she hasnt been seen on screen for ages and I havent heard anything about her returning any time soon...............

She's back late summer, she was just off filming Our Girl or something?!
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    It's better than it was last year but not as good as it was at the start of this year. Seems to me like DTC and team have got set in their ways now so can't really see it getting any better on a consistent basis. I do however think this week and last have been relatively strong, but then I love Sharon and most of the Carters.