Fleas!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
Forum Member
Hi there,

I don't post much on here - am a bit of a lurker I'm afraid! But would really like a bit of info or advice from any of you - especially cat owners! :)

My cat has suddenly, after 6 years of having her and using the same flea treatment, become infested with bleeding fleas! As I say, I've had her a while and never had this problem ever, and she was a stray when I got her...

I have always used the 'Frontline' Spot-on stuff...and have used this alongside flea comb, and flea spray (only when she's out and on furniture/upholstery) but so far, no good. I've been bitten to the point I look like I have leprosy and could really do with some advice!

Seriously, any suggestions would be really welcome... :)

Comments

• calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We always used Frontline, and it was fine for ages. He then had a bit of a problem with them, and just could never quite get all the little buggers.

We now use a tablet for it - its a little more, but has completely gotten rid of them. Might be worth trying it - not sure what its called, but if you ask your vet they should point you in the right direction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Thanks so much for replying! I was seriously beginning to think all hope was lost... As you can imagine, it's been a bit of a nightmare - especially as madam cat won't stay still because of the lovely weather! I was going to ring the vet tomorrow anyway, so will definitely do so now and will mention that you use a tablet. Thank you so much. :-)
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ambery wrote: »
    Thanks so much for replying! I was seriously beginning to think all hope was lost... As you can imagine, it's been a bit of a nightmare - especially as madam cat won't stay still because of the lovely weather! I was going to ring the vet tomorrow anyway, so will definitely do so now and will mention that you use a tablet. Thank you so much. :-)

If you can, when you ask the vet can you post the name please.

I always keep flea stuff in just in case and it's usually front line so would be handy to know the name in case I'm ever in the same position.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vetuk have this. It's where I usually get my flea stuff so trustworthy. And generally much cheaper than vets.

http://m.vetuk.co.uk/flea-treatments-capstar-flea-tablets-c-3_428/capstar-for-cats-and-small-dogs-flea-tablets-p-11
    Forum Member
    I will do! Honestly, the past few days/week have been a nightmare due to our 'visitors'! Thanks or the head up on what you use too. Once I've had a chat with the vet, hopefully I will get things sorted properly...
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to treat your house too, boil or at least 60 degree wash anything you can get into the washing machine, large can of indorex for the rest of the soft furnishings and carpets. Edges of wood, laminate and lino type flooring need treating too.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hoover like mad, too!

Fleas go for me as well, I bet you have a few holes in your ankles. :D

How confident are you applying the spot-on? My last cat knew exactly what the pipette was and would struggle, rendering the treatment ineffective.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to say the tablets we use are called Comfortis.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard good things about oregano oil, but haven't used it myself so I suggest you do a bit of research before you try it. :)

Hmmm, a quick search produces some very confusing answers :(
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i usually use advantage. frontline is usually good too
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We find its a good idea before using Frontline to shampoo our 6 cats, 3 kittens & one puppy.
    Use washing up liquid as this produces lots of suds.Leave it on for 5 mins. & then was off. Towel or use a hair dryer to get dry.
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was well known that frontline isn't as good as it used to be. Not quite as rubbish as bob martin, but that fleas are now becoming immune to whatever is in it?
    Forum Member
    Hi again!

Thanks so much for all your replies and apologies for not replying sooner - it's been a bit hectic! You all been really helpful, and I've taken loads of your advice on board. I tried to speak with the vet over the phone, but before they would recommend anything they would prefer I take her in for a quick check over, which is fair enough as they reminded me she needs her jabs too!

Have been doing lots of what you've recommended in the meantime... EVERYTHING is being sprayed and hoovered daily (sometimes twice daily!)...puss is being combed about three times a day and although she won't stand bathing (I tried and massively failed!), she really likes being combed with warm soapy water (with a dash of a rosemary infusion!). I suppose for the next few months it's just going to be a case of being super-vigilant and keeping on top of the bloody wee beasts!

Once again, thanks so much for all your help, advice and opinions. I was really getting so stressed out about it and you've helped a lot. :):):)
    Forum Member
    Hoover like mad, too!

Fleas go for me as well, I bet you have a few holes in your ankles. :D

How confident are you applying the spot-on? My last cat knew exactly what the pipette was and would struggle, rendering the treatment ineffective.

Haha, I do indeed! I look like a leper... not good when it's so warm! The bloody things are a real nightmare... ;-)
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    You need to treat your house too, boil or at least 60 degree wash anything you can get into the washing machine, large can of indorex for the rest of the soft furnishings and carpets. Edges of wood, laminate and lino type flooring need treating too.

That was such good advice, as the most horrid thing was I did a massive wash on the normal 40 degrees (without thinking, cos I just wanted the house to feel clean again!) - but when I took the stuff out, some fleas had survived... :o I nearly threw up or cried! However, 60 degrees got 'em! :D
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only skimmed this thread so this may already have been mentioned but...

...there is a new product from the Frontline people - Broadline. We've swapped to it because it deals with ticks which some of the other products don't. We have as much of a problem with ticks as with fleas.

...the only way friends have just managed to get rid of a flea infestation - they took in two rescue cats and the rescue obviously hadn't quite eradicated the problem before re-homing them - was regular (over about two weeks) applications of Indorex which they bought from Amazon. They used it on rugs, 3-piece suite, cushions etc that they couldn't wash. It seems to have worked.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It takes two. :D First prepare your ampoules, ideally out of hearing of the cat. We go outside.

Hold the cat on a high surface - at least as high as a table but a bit higher is better - on a non-slip surface and with its feet on the table, grip it gently but firmly by the scruff of the neck. Then slip your hands round so you have it round the 'shoulders' so it can't take off. Other person applies the spot on. Release cat and stand back!

Key is the scruff of the neck thing as that automatically makes the cat submissive - reaction from kittenhood.

We always offer something the cat really likes straight afterwards - piece of fish or I guess in the UK you could use a Dreamie? - and they do now associate The Bad Thing with getting a treat afterwards. It's only taken 8 years...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I am doing pretty much everything that been mentioned here, still can't get rid! I have six cats maybe that has something to do with it. Getting to the point where I am going rip out the carpets and install wooden flooring.
  • ArtieArtie Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Swapped from frontline to advantage. Frontline seems to have stopped working. Also use program to control flea life cycle and if you have an infestation in the house you need to treat. Indorex is generally effective but lethal if you keep fish.