Options

Variable light speed

Comments

• Options
    davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a good Horizon (i think) programme the other day looking at the Italian experiment that found some particles may travel faster than light by going into 'the bulk' outwith our universes membrane and reappearing in a spot that it could not have reached in the time it took had it remained within.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »
    Nope. VSL theory has thought of that one.
    Which VSL theory? There are lots to choose from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davzer wrote: »
    There was a good Horizon (i think) programme the other day looking at the Italian experiment that found some particles may travel faster than light by going into 'the bulk' outwith our universes membrane and reappearing in a spot that it could not have reached in the time it took had it remained within.
    The neutrino experimental results were flawed, as most people thought they would be. Quite why the BBC re-broadcast that programme without updating it is a mystery. So all the theoretical waffle to "explain" the result turned out to be unnecessary, because there was no result to explain.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'm also wondering that. I can see how they measured the speed since the technology became available, but I doubt they'll know for a fact what the speed was before they had the technology to measure it. I'm not so sure about the human race being around for only 3,000 years. I'd say they've been around for quite a bit longer than that.

I did say the human race had been around for a few thousand, not 3. Actually it's around 200,000 years.

The speed of light, however was measured for the first time in 1675.

The measurement has changed over that time also.
    History of measurements of c (in km/s)
    1675	Rømer and Huygens, moons of Jupiter	220000
    1729	James Bradley, aberration of light	301000
    1849	Hippolyte Fizeau, toothed wheel		315000
    1862	Léon Foucault, rotating mirror		298000±500
    1907	Rosa and Dorsey, EM constants		299710±30
    1926	Albert A. Michelson, rotating mirror	299796±4
    1950	Essen and Gordon-Smith, cavity resonator299792.5±3.0
    1958	K.D. Froome, radio interferometry	299792.50±0.10
    1972	Evenson et al., laser interferometry	299792.4562±0.0011
    1983	17th CGPM, definition of the metre	299792.458 (exact)

It's only been measured, with any accuracy, at it's current value for around 100 years and I mentioned a possible (pure finger in the air) value for deceleration of 0.001% over 1000 years.

So over 100 years that would be 0.0001% of 299,792,458 m/s which would have been around 300 m/s. Just over 150 years ago the accuracy was within +/- 500 m/s.

This is just pure conjecture from the fact that we've only been measuring it for less than 400 years and, of those, only 150 of them with meaningful accuracy.

What's 400 years compared to a period in excess of 13,000,000,000 years.

I also assume a linear deceleration, what if it had been an exponential one tending towards a final value rather like a radioactive half-life?

... or like a damped oscillation where the speed of light actually oscillated somewhere around it's current value as a central point?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    njp wrote: »
    The neutrino experimental results were flawed, as most people thought they would be. Quite why the BBC re-broadcast that programme without updating it is a mystery. So all the theoretical waffle to "explain" the result turned out to be unnecessary, because there was no result to explain.
    The explanations were still interesting and valid reasoning that may yet need testing at some point in the future to explain the universe that we have not yet nailed down as understanding.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But, if the speed of gravity is the same as the speed of light, will that also have slowed down since the beginning of the universe ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    I did say the human race had been around for a few thousand, not 3. Actually it's around 200,000 years.

Yes, because our ability to measure it has improved, not because the speed of light has changed. Or do you think it speeded up, then slowed down, and then got a bit faster before settling on its present value?
    It's only been measured, with any accuracy, at it's current value for around 100 years and I mentioned a possible (pure finger in the air) value for deceleration of 0.001% over 1000 years.

So over 100 years that would be 0.0001% of 299,792,458 m/s which would have been around 300 m/s. Just over 150 years ago the accuracy was within +/- 500 m/s
    And as I told you, that would be easily detectable in modern measurements. Even in 1972, the uncertainty was only +/- 1.1 m/s - and most of that was down to the uncertainty in the definition of the metre. Indeed, since the metre is now defined as the distance travelled by light in 1/299,792,458 of a second, improvements in the measured speed of light simply affect how long a metre is.
    This is just pure conjecture
    With no apparent point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    The explanations were still interesting and valid reasoning that may yet need testing at some point in the future to explain the universe that we have not yet nailed down as understanding.
    They can hardly have been "valid reasoning" if they explained something which did not in fact happen.

A number of papers were produced purporting to explain the (assumed correct) results in terms of new physics, and a number of papers were produced purporting to identify some fatal flaw in the experimental procedure that made the results incorrect. And as far as I know, every single one of them was wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... With no apparent point.

This is an Internet forum, who needs points. :p

Anyway, as I've said we've only been measuring the speed of light for 400 out of 3,800,000,000(+) years and we can only theorise that it has always been constant, which it probably has.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Late night BBC radio 5 with dr Carl, on wed night last week also stated that the early universe went through a burst of expansion which exceeded the speed of light. Note this was a burst of expansion, before and after expansion was slower.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Tut I wish science had come up with a different word for the model to explain a natural phenomenen... the 'theory' word is causing no end of problems

indeed, it is a huge problem with the unscientific layman.

i usually find if someone doesn't understand the word, then its highly unlikely they do not understand the science and as such it is not worth wasting time on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speed of light may have changed recently - New Scientist June 2004
    The speed of light, one of the most sacrosanct of the universal physical constants, may have been lower as recently as two billion years ago - and not in some far corner of the universe, but right here on Earth.

The controversial finding is turning up the heat on an already simmering debate, especially since it is based on re-analysis of old data that has long been used to argue for exactly the opposite: the constancy of the speed of light and other constants.

A varying speed of light contradicts Einstein's theory of relativity, and would undermine much of traditional physics. But some physicists believe it would elegantly explain puzzling cosmological phenomena such as the nearly uniform temperature of the universe. It might also support string theories that predict extra spatial dimensions.

The threat to the idea of an invariable speed of light comes from measurements of another parameter called the fine structure constant, or alpha, which dictates the strength of the electromagnetic force. The speed of light is inversely proportional to alpha, and though alpha also depends on two other constants (see graphic), many physicists tend to interpret a change in alpha as a change in the speed of light. It is a valid simplification, says Victor Flambaum of the University of New South Wales in Sydney.
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the variability of the speed of light wouldn't contradict Einstein as long as, even with new values, the invariability to the observer, and the integrity of e=mc2, remained?
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the constancy of lightspeed is a necessary consequence of maxwell's electrodynamcs. the same theory that predicted radio waves also says lightspeed must be constant.

all modern physics is built on this. and it seems very successul since we can build computers and digital tellys and phones and stuff. so if the theory turned out to be wrong, it would be a very big surprise .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    Late night BBC radio 5 with dr Carl, on wed night last week also stated that the early universe went through a burst of expansion which exceeded the speed of light. Note this was a burst of expansion, before and after expansion was slower.
    You need to be careful here. There is no problem with a metric expansion - an expansion of space itself - exceeding the speed of light, within the framework of mainstream physics. Indeed, that's what "cosmological inflation" requires - and that is the theory to which the research in the OP is seeking an alternative.

In addition, very distant galaxies are known to be receding faster than the speed of light, because the Hubble expansion rate depends on distance. This too is not contrary to relativity, does not require a variable speed of light, and is mainstream physics.
  • Options
    Black CloudBlack Cloud Posts: 7,057
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    the constancy of lightspeed is a necessary consequence of maxwell's electrodynamcs. the same theory that predicted radio waves also says lightspeed must be constant.

all modern physics is built on this. and it seems very successul since we can build computers and digital tellys and phones and stuff. so if the theory turned out to be wrong, it would be a very big surprise .

James Franson from Maryland University has done some observational research indicating light may have slowed down even in the interstellar vacuum.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2672092/Was-Einstein-wrong-Controversial-theory-suggests-speed-light-SLOWER-thought.html

This seems to be in line with research indicating that lightseed may not be constant due to fluctuations in quantum vacuum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can hardly have been "valid reasoning" if they explained something which did not in fact happen.

A number of papers were produced purporting to explain the (assumed correct) results in terms of new physics, and a number of papers were produced purporting to identify some fatal flaw in the experimental procedure that made the results incorrect. And as far as I know, every single one of them was wrong.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.6354

Theories with large extra dimensions may be tested using sterile neutrinos living in the bulk. A bulk neutrino can mix with a ?a- vor neutrino localized in the brane leading to unconventional patterns of neutrino oscillations. A resonance phenomenon, strong mixing be- tween the ?avor and the sterile neutrino, allows to determine the radius of the large extra dimension. If our brane is curved, then the sterile neutrino can take a shortcut through the bulk, leading to an appar- ent superluminal neutrino speed.

Published somewhat before the italian experiment. In fact the paper prompts the experiment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Franson from Maryland University has done some observational research indicating light may have slowed down even in the interstellar vacuum.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2672092/Was-Einstein-wrong-Controversial-theory-suggests-speed-light-SLOWER-thought.html
    Most likely bollocks. An old paper that was knocking around unremarked for several years until he finally managed to get it into a journal, and then some useless newspaper hack got hold of it and thought another "Einstein wrong" story would make good copy. And suddenly a not very interesting piece of speculation becomes headline news around the world. The most likely explanation for the neutrinos arriving earlier is that they were created earlier, or came from somewhere other than SN 1987A .
    This seems to be in line with research indicating that lightseed may not be constant due to fluctuations in quantum vacuum.
    Needless to say, it has nothing to do with that.

Haven't you got a really straightforward electrical engineering question you ought to be answering in another thread?
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    constant lightspeed is only a postulate in special relativity, but it is a PREDICTION of electrodynamics. thus, if lightspeed varies, all physics since 1860 is proved false. which seems rather unlikely .......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davzer wrote: »
    Published somewhat before the italian experiment. In fact the paper prompts the experiment.
    I don't think it did. I thought the OPERA experiment was investigating neutrino oscillations, and that the apparent superluminal neutrino velocity (subsequently found to be due to a fault in the equipment) was an entirely unexpected finding.

Edit: That paper was submitted in 2011. OPERA was built between 2003 and 2008.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »

History of measurements of c (in km/s)
    1675    Rømer and Huygens, moons of Jupiter    220000
    1729    James Bradley, aberration of light    301000
    1849    Hippolyte Fizeau, toothed wheel        315000
    1862    Léon Foucault, rotating mirror        298000±500
    1907    Rosa and Dorsey, EM constants        299710±30
    1926    Albert A. Michelson, rotating mirror    299796±4
    1950    Essen and Gordon-Smith, cavity resonator299792.5±3.0
    1958    K.D. Froome, radio interferometry    299792.50±0.10
    1972    Evenson et al., laser interferometry    299792.4562±0.0011
    1983    17th CGPM, definition of the metre    299792.458 (exact)

So over 100 years that would be 0.0001% of 299,792,458 m/s which would have been around 300 m/s. Just over 150 years ago the accuracy was within +/- 500 m/s.

This is just pure conjecture from the fact that we've only been measuring it for less than 400 years and, of those, only 150 of them with meaningful accuracy.

What's 400 years compared to a period in excess of 13,000,000,000 years.

I also assume a linear deceleration, what if it had been an exponential one tending towards a final value rather like a radioactive half-life?

... or like a damped oscillation where the speed of light actually oscillated somewhere around it's current value as a central point?

Early humans were around 7 million years ago. Homo Sapiens, modern humans, were in Africa about 200,000 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it did. I thought the OPERA experiment was investigating neutrino oscillations, and that the apparent superluminal neutrino velocity (subsequently found to be due to a fault in the equipment) was an entirely unexpected finding.

Edit: That paper was submitted in 2011. OPERA was built between 2003 and 2008.

Still, the theory was proposed prior to the Italian findings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Early humans were around 7 million years ago. Homo Sapiens, modern humans, were in Africa about 200,000 years ago.
    Although to be fair, none of them would have been likely to engage with us in a meaningful discourse about the constancy of the speed of light.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... and until more recently none of them would have been able to produce an efficient enough vacuum to accurately measure the speed of light (in a vacuum) either.

However if parts of space were not a perfect vacuum then the speed of light would be affected, however slightly, by the refractive index of the medium it was travelling through.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although to be fair, none of them would have been likely to engage with us in a meaningful discourse about the constancy of the speed of light.

Neither would early Homo Sapiens.