Options

Air Algerie loses contact with plane (AH5017)

Comments

• Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Well, they are. They're what we use to determine risk and thus our actions.

Being scared of something despite the statistics showing there's very little risk is irrational.

Do you seriously check the statistics before you book a flight, do you look at the accident record for a particular road before embarking on a journey.?
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red John wrote: »
    I know. I still hate flying. I can't get the thought out of my head that I'm sitting in a high velocity coffin.

Perhaps if road accidents got the same publicity as plane crashes it might put it all into perspective for you (probably won't allay your fears though). I don't like flying and I feel the last few plane incidents haven't helped but I do agree with many that travelling in a car is riskier.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    Do you seriously check the statistics before you book a flight, do you look at the accident record for a particular road before embarking on a journey.?
    No, because they're implicit knowledge.

I don't need to check the stats for "deaths from falling from high buildings" to know that while I'd get a great view by climbing a nearby office block, chances are I might not make it down alive.

It's the same principle.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    I do wonder why it takes hours and hours for information to be released that a plane has vanished. With online plane spotter systems and a 24 hour news cycle, you'd think it would have been reported within an hour or so of it going missing.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Perhaps if road accidents got the same publicity as plane crashes it might put it all into perspective for you (probably won't allay your fears though). I don't like flying and I feel the last few plane incidents haven't helped but I do agree with many that travelling in a car is riskier.

Added to which the fact that I'd bet most of us know more people who have died in car accidents than plane crashes- the anecdotal and experiential evidence for once matches up with the statistical.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate flying. At least when you're traveling by land or sea you've got a fighting chance if something goes wrong. When a plane crashes you're pretty much screwed.

That's kind of how I feel too.
    Chances are, unless it was really bad, I'd hobble away from a car crash.
    Very few people walk away from plane crashes.
    Yes, I know there are far fewer plane crashes, and the statistics all stack up firmly on the side of planes being incredibly safe, but I can't shake the feeling that I'd probably survive a car accident, but wouldn't survive a plane crash.
    It might not be logical, but I reckon that's how most people probably feel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    I do wonder why it takes hours and hours for information to be released that a plane has vanished. With online plane spotter systems and a 24 hour news cycle, you'd think it would have been reported within an hour or so of it going missing.

I imagine they'd be so busy looking for the thing that the idea of phoning the press might have completely slipped their minds.
  • Options
    all_nightall_night Posts: 7,615
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I imagine they'd be so busy looking for the thing that the idea of phoning the press might have completely slipped their minds.

Well it would be the first thing I do. If you do have a missing plane, in the sense you've lost it, it would be wise to alert nations and the world of the news - that in turn may help people spot it if it has crashed somewhere. So you can take your sarcastic remark and do you know what with it.
  • Options
    james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Added to which the fact that I'd bet most of us know more people who have died in car accidents than plane crashes- the anecdotal and experiential evidence for once matches up with the statistical.

I don't think thats the point, i assume people who are scared of flying think that they would have absolutely no control over their destiny in the event of a plane going down. Thats what is particularly frightening. Whereas you would atleast feel like you could do something to help yourself in a car collision.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC person speculating it's been hit by ammunition over troubled area. Do they have anything powerful enough there to bring down a plane of that size?
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Yes, I know there are far fewer plane crashes, and the statistics all stack up firmly on the side of planes being incredibly safe, but I can't shake the feeling that I'd probably survive a car accident, but wouldn't survive a plane crash.
    In the unlikely event you're involved in a plane crash, you've a 95.7% chance of surviving.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/curiosity/topics/big-question-what-are-odds-of-surviving-plane-crash.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    BBC person speculating it's been hit by ammunition over troubled area. Do they have anything powerful enough there to bring down a plane of that size?

Mali is considered by US airlines to be one of the world's high risk flight zones.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02985/africa-map_2985395c.gif
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    Well it would be the first thing I do. If you do have a missing plane, in the sense you've lost it, it would be wise to alert nations and the world of the news - that in turn may help people spot it if it has crashed somewhere. So you can take your sarcastic remark and do you know what with it.

I don't think the OP was being sarcastic, a reasonable answer was given. I should imagine so many things have to be taken into account when a plane goes missing and I agree that the press wouldn't be the first port of call, imho that is.

ETA If someone witnesses an aircraft crashing it wouldn't need a press alert for them to contact the relevant authorities.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm well aware of the statistics and I don't believe I've said that traveling in a car is statistically less risky than flying. What I mean is that when you're flying you basically have no chance if anything goes wrong at 30,000 feet, there's a certain feeling of helplessness. At least if you're in a boat that sinks you might be rescued. I survived a car crash once, people generally don't survive plane crashes from high altitude.
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    Wow... I know MH370 was a couple of months ago now but I still think about a lot. And now these two incidents in the space of the week, not nice... R.I.P to all the lives lost, ever so sad.

Daily Mail says the plane was due to land at 5am so surely by now it must have either landed or crashed.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm well aware of the statistics and I don't believe I've said that traveling in a car is statistically less risky than flying. What I mean is that when you're flying you basically have no chance if anything goes wrong at 30,000 feet, there's a certain feeling of helplessness. At least if you're in a boat that sinks you might be rescued. I survived a car crash once, people generally don't survive plane crashes.

Believe me I know what you mean. In a plane I feel powerless, I have no control - a car or a ship then I feel at least I have a little.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the OP was being sarcastic, a reasonable answer was given. I should imagine so many things have to be taken into account when a plane goes missing and I agree that the press wouldn't be the first port of call, imho that is.

ETA If someone witnesses an aircraft crashing it wouldn't need a press alert for them to contact the relevant authorities.

Exactly. You'd notify other countries' ATC and what-have-you- THEY'D be the ones who'd need the information. You wouldn't necessarily bother alerting the media so soon, because if the thing DOES show up safe, you don't want to have panicked the families, or anyone else for that matter (not to mention the markets) for no reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james2018 wrote: »
    I don't think thats the point, i assume people who are scared of flying think that they would have absolutely no control over their destiny in the event of a plane going down. Thats what is particularly frightening. Whereas you would atleast feel like you could do something to help yourself in a car collision.

Ah, just posted similar - wish I'd seen your post could have saved a little time typing :) For me it's the control thing, or lack of.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the unlikely event you're involved in a plane crash, you've a 95.7% chance of surviving.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/curiosity/topics/big-question-what-are-odds-of-surviving-plane-crash.htm

Yep, I know, I know. I'm not being logical.
    But all the stats in the world won't change my mind that I'm more scared of flying than driving. James2018 made a very good point above - most people believe, rightly or wrongly, that they have more control over their destiny in a car, rather than a plane where they are simply a passive passenger.

This particular crash is looking like the plane came down in bad weather rather than anything more sinister. And, illogical though it may be, this only reinforces my feeling that I'm better off on the ground. I drove home last week through some of the most torrential rain I've ever experienced. Stopped the car twice because it was so bad. But I got home safely. You can't pull a plane over to the side of the road and wait a while when the weather gets really bad...
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    Well, they are. They're what we use to determine risk and thus our actions.

Being scared of something despite the statistics showing there's very little risk is irrational.

Fear is not a rational emotion. There are so many reasons people could be scared of flying, you spouting off statistics is unlikely to ever change that.

I am terrified of swans for goodness sake, do I think I'm more likely to catch my death standing by a swan than getting in a car? Not a chance, but I'm not scared of swans because I think they'll kill me and even if that was why I was scared of them that would be my perogative, people telling me how unlikely a swan was to hurt me wouldn't stop me being scared.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. You'd notify other countries' ATC and what-have-you- THEY'D be the ones who'd need the information. You wouldn't necessarily bother alerting the media so soon, because if the thing DOES show up safe, you don't want to have panicked the families, or anyone else for that matter (not to mention the markets) for no reason.

Can you imagine the hype, papers trying to out do one another with their speculations... the panic and fear would be immeasurable for some.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of French on board apparently.

This is a bad time for flights. I understand that planes crash more commonly than reported but these are not passenger jets. This type of accident is incredibly rare and the third in the space of a week is madness!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member

To be honest with you, I don't think it's to do with crashing.

I don't like flying, but I do it because I have to, and although bumps and judders on the plane almost scare the life out of me, I know statistics will keep me safe - hopefully.

My main beef is if something fails, which stops the vehicle from operating safely.

If I'm in my car and it breaks down, I pull over at the side of the road and wait for the AA.

If a plane stops working, it can't just pull over to the side of the road...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's reassuring for the first few minutes after takeoff and before landing. I wonder what the stats are for planes that fell from over 20,000 feet.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where is the evidence that most people feel like that? I love flying.

If something goes wrong it is probably going to be too late to worry about it.