Execution in Arizona takes 2 hours to kill prisoner

Comments

• Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Well I am sure you will get over it.

:confused::confused: Not sure why you're feeling the need to be so rude.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    I'm in favour of ithe death penalty as it saves money and is payback for the victims..but firing squad should be the method. Plus its cheapest.

No it does not. According to a study by the Kansas Judicial Council it costs approximately four times more to defend a death penalty case than a non-death penalty - defense costs for death penalty trials averaged $395,762 per case, compared to $98,963 per case when the death penalty was not sought. Costs incurred by the trial court showed a similar disparity: $72,530 for cases with the death penalty; $21,554 for those without.

The Idaho State Appellate Public Defenders office spent about 44 times more time on a typical death penalty appeal than on a life sentence appeal (almost 8,000 hours per capital defendant compared to about 180 hours per non-death penalty defendant).

The cost of the current system in California is $137 million per year, if Lifetime imprisonment was substituted then the cost would be $11.5m

see http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    If he killed two people, taking away their lives and having the families of those two victims suffer, then two hours of pain for him isn't nearly enough compensation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    So what happened to good old fashioned hanging?It would save both drugs, bullets and electricity.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Wits_end wrote: »
    So what happened to good old fashioned hanging?It would save both drugs, bullets and electricity.
    Maybe the price of rope has gone up? :p
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they want to do it "humanely" why not just give him an OD. of morphine? Not expensive, and totally painless. Not exactly hard to come by either.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they want to do it "humanely" why not just give him an OD. of morphine? Not expensive, and totally painless. Not exactly hard to come by either.

Probably because they want the prisoner to suffer likely.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    No it does not. According to a study by the Kansas Judicial Council it costs approximately four times more to defend a death penalty case than a non-death penalty - defense costs for death penalty trials averaged $395,762 per case, compared to $98,963 per case when the death penalty was not sought. Costs incurred by the trial court showed a similar disparity: $72,530 for cases with the death penalty; $21,554 for those without.

The Idaho State Appellate Public Defenders office spent about 44 times more time on a typical death penalty appeal than on a life sentence appeal (almost 8,000 hours per capital defendant compared to about 180 hours per non-death penalty defendant).

The cost of the current system in California is $137 million per year, if Lifetime imprisonment was substituted then the cost would be $11.5m

see http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

life time imprisonment is just as cruel and prisons need to be harsher so short sentences mean something... and so imo death penalty would be cheaper if the law system isnt allowed to drag appeals on forever and make a gravy train load of cash out of it..
    if we in the UK get a referendum on the issue we will see the public able to have a say and debate this issue. everyone dies at some point so its not like the death penalty issome exclusive retribution. its the public who should decide these issues not the EU
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Probably because they want the prisoner to suffer likely.

With that being the case, they've done the job perfectly!

Maybe they should let the victims families have some time alone with them, if they so desire. Then they could really suffer.

I've got no sympathy either fwiw.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew1954 wrote: »
    Why don't they use nitrogen? Michael Portillo made a documentary showing the advantages of this simple method.

He explained why not in the documentary.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With that being the case, they've done the job perfectly!

Maybe they should let the victims families have some time alone with them, if they so desire. Then they could really suffer.

I've got no sympathy either fwiw.

Their job is to execute the prisoner and not to let their personal feelings get in the way.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He chose to commit a double murder so, as for being executed, I have no sympathy. I do, however, think it should be done quickly and efficiently although I don't know if I would feel that way if it was my husband and daughter he had shot.

Agree with above.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Have to say what was wrong with a shot to the head & the heart?

Whilst I do not agree with the death penalty in general, I agree with your statement.

I do think that when parents kill their own child/ren, they should be taken out the back of the court room and shot. For other crimes though it is not always so easy to prove guilt and there have been several cases when it has turned out that a lifer who would have been killed if they commited the crime in the US has turned out to be innocent.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Why can't they just use the stuff that they put animals to sleep with? I've been present twice when a dog's been put to sleep and it usually happens in no-time at all. Peaceful too. Anyway, I don't agree with this, but can understand why some others don't care.

The drug companies will not allow their drugs to be used in this way.

Interestingly, in New Hampshire if lethal injection is found to be impractical then the inmate will be hanged. In Washington the condemned has a choice between hanging or lethal injection.

I wonder if those states that have alternative execution methods to lethal injection will think about reverting back to using something else - some states still have hanging, firing squad, lethal gas and electrocution.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    FANNY_ANNE wrote: »
    Whilst I do not agree with the death penalty in general, I agree with your statement.

I do think that when parents kill their own child/ren, they should be taken out the back of the court room and shot. For other crimes though it is not always so easy to prove guilt and there have been several cases when it has turned out that a lifer who would have been killed if they commited the crime in the US has turned out to be innocent.

Perhaps you could explain why the age of a murder victim and its relationship to the suspected killer makes a difference as to how easy it is to prove the crime.

You seem to think that child killers can be identified with certainty (and, bizarrely, immediately executed), whereas killers of adults can't.
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have no sympathy. He didn't care when he murdered two people and the pain it caused them in the last moments of their lives.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Wits_end wrote: »

Can still be used in a couple of states.

New Hampshire - if lethal injection is found to be impractical they are hanged.

The condemned has a choice between the two in Washington.

Other states have other means they can use, lethal gas, firing squad, electrocution.

Electrocution Jan 16, 2013 - Virginia - Robert Gleason

Firing squad Jun 18, 2010 - Utah - Ronnie Lee Gardner

Lethal gas Mar 3, 1999 - Arizona - Walter LaGrand [92]

Hanging Jan 25, 1996 - Delaware - William Bailey
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you could explain why the age of a murder victim and its relationship to the suspected killer makes a difference as to how easy it is to prove the crime.

You seem to think that child killers can be identified with certainty (and, bizarrely, immediately executed), whereas killers of adults can't.

BIB : Puzzling isn't it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Can still be used in a couple of states.

New Hampshire - if lethal injection is found to be impractical they are hanged.

The condemned has a choice between the two in Washington.

Other states have other means they can use, lethal gas, firing squad, electrocution.

Electrocution Jan 16, 2013 - Virginia - Robert Gleason

Firing squad Jun 18, 2010 - Utah - Ronnie Lee Gardner

Lethal gas Mar 3, 1999 - Arizona - Walter LaGrand [92]

Hanging Jan 25, 1996 - Delaware - William Bailey

Spoilt for choice.
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    adopter wrote: »
    He explained why not in the documentary.
    Did he? My recollection was that he supported its use. But perhaps I'm mistaken. I'd be interested to hear what you thought were his conclusions.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is abhorrent.

If a country deigns to have the death penalty, then they should have a responsibility to ensure that it is carried out effectively and humanely. This is torturing someone to death.
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Dress it up however you want, the person is still a murderer, who has taken someone else's life, sorry but in my mind they stop becoming a human being at that point.

What is in your mind is nonsense.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not going to whoop and cheer that it took two hours for the guy to die.

But neither do I have an iota of sympathy for him.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given the Yanks history of 'messing up' it's to be hoped they got the right man as it wouldn't be the first time they've got it wrong.

As for executions, i've often wondered why on earth they love these displays? They appear to revel in the dramatics by inviting friends and family in to watch the killing as though it's some kind of entertainment show. I wouldn't be surprised if refreshments aren't served too. Maybe a bit of music to help things along?

Strange that executions in other countries are seen as 'barbaric'.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    if we in the UK get a referendum on the issue we will see the public able to have a say and debate this issue. everyone dies at some point so its not like the death penalty issome exclusive retribution. its the public who should decide these issues not the EU

The EU didn't decide it, the UK did.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I oppose the death penalty anyway, but if the law in these states means the death penalty is legal then for heaven's sake get it right.