Brendan Rodgers

Comments

• jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DSWNSM wrote: »
    So because he is a Chelsea fan that means he can't say anything about other clubs :confused:

He can but the phrase "People in glass houses,,," comes to mind.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    DSWNSM wrote: »
    So because he is a Chelsea fan that means he can't say anything about other clubs :confused:

It's all about respect and style of posting.

There is a poster called Cantona - you may have come across him - he has over 40000 posts mostly on the football forums so there is every chance!!

I think his post count is so high cos altho he is a MUFC fan he goes into other teams threads and discusses with them - but in a way which rarely is annoying. Certainly us LFC fans have no prob with his frequent offerings on our thread even tho some of what he says is far from positive about our club - but they are largely intelligent well thought out views which deserve consideration - not winding us up having a go for the sake of it almost laughing at us when we do badly type of posts - that is the difference.

Now yes re LFC and other key matters me and other LFC fans disagree with him a lot - in my case 4 issues which come straight to mind are Evra/Suarez, Kenny Dalglish, Rafa Benitez (and in partic his rant) and SAF but cos there is some respect and understanding of where we are coming from we are able to discuss and remain friends (most of the time :p)

Mind you I admit I rarely go into other teams threads myself as I know it can be dangerous territory :D
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chelsea are not doing great at the moment - and I would not dream of starting a thread trying to analyse what is going wrong - that should tell you all you need to know about my feelings about this thread.

Yes at LFC we do have issues at the moment and if you want to contribute (tho goodness knows why you would) then come onto our thread and discuss it with some respect and we'll listen to you.

Tbh tho Code I predict that if you do go the LFC thread you will fairly quickly annoy many fairly reasonable LFC fans by the manner in which you put poiints across and people will not listen to you.

Mind you I won't pre judge, I could be wrong. Have a try - I dare you

Very good point.

Its hard to understand why every Liverpool defeat ought to prompt yet another thread aimed at taking a dig at the club, or the manager, etc.

There are numerous non-Liverpool fans who consistently demonstrate they are more than capable of fair and reasoned discussion of the club and the issues that go with it, by going into their thread. Quite why some default to a WUM approach is something only they can answer.
  • Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can but the phrase "People in glass houses,,," comes to mind.

Especially when the subject matter concerns spending money and going backwards.
  • Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone see his post match interview?

"a near perfect away performance"

that wont go down well....

Liverpool team is full of cowards. As soon as anything goes wrong they collapse.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone see his post match interview?

"a near perfect away performance"

that wont go down well....

Liverpool team is full of cowards. As soon as anything goes wrong they collapse.

I absolutely did, which promoted me to make this tread.

It was just so, so very wrong of him to say it like that.

Anyway, i should have said this in the main thread, or bit my lip. sorry.
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was always surprised a club of Liverpool's stature went for such an inexperienced manager and even that so many welcomed him.
    He may well come good but I don't see any progress from last season.
    I actually thought Dalglish was getting somewhere.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    I was always surprised a club of Liverpool's stature went for such an inexperienced manager and even that so many welcomed him.

That's my feeling on the subject too.

I felt it was a bit knee jerk to bring in a manager who's had a good season with a newly promoted club.

Laudrup's not been too shabby after taking over the role since,in fact I think he's done a more convincing job than Rogers.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully the club (and the fans) will give him time, I do think he is the right man for the job but is not going to need 3 years, He going to need 5 or more, The problems at Liverpool have been going on for years and years, The club has been so badly run for so long its going to be a very slow road before they even good enough for the Europa league never mind Champions League Football.

They need to rebuild from top to bottom, The brand of Liverpool football club is nowhere near the level it should be, SAF has not only built a number of sucessful teams at Utd but a brand which enabled him to build the teams.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »

Dalglish was a dinosaour who might have done well for a season or two but like Rafa did would have left them for the worse in the end. Liverpool need to forget the "stature" stuff and start afreash. They are so far from the days when they was a hugh club they might as well be another club.

Someone like Rogers/Steve Clarke/Robert Martenez are the type of managers they need for move on
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Hopefully the club (and the fans) will give him time, I do think he is the right man for the job but is not going to need 3 years, He going to need 5 or more, The problems at Liverpool have been going on for years and years, The club has been so badly run for so long its going to be a very slow road before they even good enough for the Europa league never mind Champions League Football.

They need to rebuild from top to bottom, The brand of Liverpool football club is nowhere near the level it should be, SAF has not only built a number of sucessful teams at Utd but a brand which enabled him to build the teams.

sacking a manager every season is not the answer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    sacking a manager every season is not the answer.

Never said it was, I said hopefully they will give him time and alot of time (5 years was the least amount of time)
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From an outsider looking in ...

I found his appointment baffling. Maybe the Liverpool board were turned down so many times that, in the end, Rodgers got the job? When I look at their squad, I see a number of players who are lightweight.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Liverpool have been lacking steel in their squad for years. Skrtel and Agger are paper tigers. They look hard, but are physically dominated.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool have been lacking steel in their squad for years. Skrtel and Agger are paper tigers. They look hard, but are physically dominated.

I dunno about that. Agger possibly, but he's not really in the team to play the hard man. Skrtel on the other hand I very rarely see getting bullied by an opposition forward.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 54,004
    Forum Member
    Signing Sturridge will certainly help in the attacking department.

The last 2 games have shown you missed him already...

Trouble is for Rodgers there is a certain amonut of high expection at Liverpool and even last season they did well in the cups which covered some iffy league form.
  • OmrafOmraf Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    He can come across as arrogant and has made mistakes. That could be any manager in football though. Part of the problem is that English football seems to have a lottery system for management appointments. It seems a good season or sometimes even a half and the manager can be the next big thing. Either that or their face fits a club. Liverpool need long term stability though and so should keep him especially as Carragher is going and Gerrard won't be around forever the team needs to be rebuilt. The last thing the club needs is another new manager trying to change it all again
  • MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL. Chelsea fan saying LFC and the fans should give him time? Yet the second Rafa was through the door they wanted him out.
  • MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    I dunno about that. Agger possibly, but he's not really in the team to play the hard man. Skrtel on the other hand I very rarely see getting bullied by an opposition forward.

He did v Stoke & Oldham. Those amazing strikers they have! :o
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dalglish was a dinosaour who might have done well for a season or two but like Rafa did would have left them for the worse in the end

ONE bad season is hardly "leaving them for the worse". If it hadn't been for Rafa this club could well be in administration now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malbren wrote: »
    LOL. Chelsea fan saying LFC and the fans should give him time? Yet the second Rafa was through the door they wanted him out.

Different clubs require different types of managers.
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Maybe its just me but the full quote I saw last night was 'apart from the 90 minutes plus added on time we were near perfect'. I assumed it was tongue in cheek.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's my feeling on the subject too.

I felt it was a bit knee jerk to bring in a manager who's had a good season with a newly promoted club.

Laudrup's not been too shabby after taking over the role since,in fact I think he's done a more convincing job than Rogers.

While Swansea have had a succession of managers each has continued the good work laid down by the previous incumbent.
    Liverpool on the other hand have been on a downward spiral since Rafa's last season - Roy made the situation even worse but with FSG and then Kenny coming in it seemed things had steadied.
    Much of the criticism of Kenny's tenure was based on signings ( which is fair enough ) , Brendan has had to correct some of those mistakes and work with others for the time being - we're still building the foundations, if you like we're the Swansea 'project' ( I hate that phrase but can't think of anything better just now ) under Martinez.
    Brendan needs to take that forward as he did Swansea but he needs to be given time to do so.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    Maybe its just me but the full quote I saw last night was 'apart from the 90 minutes plus added on time we were near perfect'. I assumed it was tongue in cheek.

The full quote is this:

“After that opening 10 or 15 minutes, when they had a bit too much space behind our midfield, it was the near-perfect away performance.”
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    The full quote is this:

“After that opening 10 or 15 minutes, when they had a bit too much space behind our midfield, it was the near-perfect away performance.”

I just quoted what I read last night.