Google Street View Time Machine

realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Google are rolling out a throwback to Street View images from the past. There's a little clock icon that is appearing towards the left of the screen that allows you to look back at images from the last seven years, since it began.

I've had a good look around this evening and I've noticed some quite interesting changes to the area where I used to live, and to a lesser extent where I live now.

Changes I've noticed:

- The quality of the street lighting in the area where I used to live has been upgraded. However, these things are subjective. There are those who would have preferred the more gentle, orange glow to the bright white they've been replaced with. Others will say the new type makes driving safer.

- The relatively small high street near where I used to live hadn't really felt the impact of the recession in the 2007 pictures. There was a far wider variety of shops than there now is, and a lot more privately-owned, independent ones.

- The chip shop near where I used to live was a traditional, English chip shop. It's now more like a downmarket kebab house.

- The pub I used to drink in was still a pub. It still exists in name, but is now effectively a restaurant with a small bar area. Going in just for a pint isn't really encouraged.

- The Co-Op was a Somerfield, and we were better off for it, although it wasn't as good as the Kwik Save of a few years earlier.

- Certain shops close to where I lived, such as the fishmongers and the dairy/milk float depot, are now gone.

- On the plus side, the shabby-looking old community centre has been knocked down, and the new building that replaced it is far better.

It's interesting looking back. Seven years may not seem very long, but there have been some notable changes in that time.

Comments

• Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    This is a great idea and I wondered if they'd do that, when they updated images, I sort of thought that they wouldn't bother and the images would simply update, but good to see they have decided to use the updates as a form of another feature, so that a street view history starts to develop.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    Changes I've noticed:

- The pub I used to drink in was still a pub. It still exists in name, but is now effectively a restaurant with a small bar area. Going in just for a pint isn't really encouraged.
    How can you tell that from Streetview? Is there a sign? :D
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't find the little clock
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How far back can it go ?

My town in the 1920s, that would be fun.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    The quality of the street lighting in the area where I used to live has been upgraded. However, these things are subjective. There are those who would have preferred the more gentle, orange glow to the bright white they've been replaced with. Others will say the new type makes driving safer.

How can you tell, did they do your area at night?

I haven't seen this appear on google maps streetview yet, but on google earth aerial photo view our area goes back to the 1940s, it's fascinating.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google are rolling out a throwback to Street View images from the past.
    Where are you seeing this? Is it on Google Maps, Google Earth (a new version perhaps) or where?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - The quality of the street lighting in the area where I used to live has been upgraded. However, these things are subjective. There are those who would have preferred the more gentle, orange glow to the bright white they've been replaced with. Others will say the new type makes driving safer.

I can't understand why some prefer the orange glow from the old fashioned street lamps. I think they look horrible. At least the lamps that give off a white light show the surroundings in their real colours. I've never understood why white light hasn't been used in the past for them.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    well as 99% of the nation still has a 5-6 year old single street view - this will be a hard feat !