Options

Summer Transfer Rumors & Deals 2014

Comments

• Options
    willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either Torres or Eto'o will leave Chelsea as well then to leave Costa, Lukaku and one of Eto'o or Torres as their first team strikers.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    willrelf92 wrote: »
    Either Torres or Eto'o will leave Chelsea as well then to leave Costa, Lukaku and one of Eto'o or Torres as their first team strikers.
    i thought Eto'o had been released already?
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    willrelf92 wrote: »

eto'o went over a month ago
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looks like khedira may be coming to chelsea after all!
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Looks like Ba is on his way from Chelsea for £8million.

This must mean we are keeping lukaku

Looks that way. We only received £6m for Demba, I thought we might get nearer £10m in the current market for strikers, he ended the season playing well.
    Torres is unsaleable with his wages of 175k a week, we would need to give him away and subsidise his salary ! Might as well keep him and hope he improves on that one good game in five ratio.
    Despite Jose's statement yesterday, I have a feeling that Chelsea will go for one more major signing before the window closes. Mourinho loves to tease the media. :)
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    How long does Torres have left on his contract?
  • Options
    carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,047
    Forum Member
    How long does Torres have left on his contract?

2 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Torres is unsaleable with his wages of 175k a week, we would need to give him away and subsidise his salary ! Might as well keep him and hope he improves on that one good game in five ratio.

If Lukaku's staying with us this season then I think we should loan out Torres, even if it means topping his wages up. With another club contributing to his wages it'll still save us quite a bit on the wage bill at least. Would rather have someone young like Bamford given a chance as 3rd choice striker behind Costa and Lukaku if we're not going to bring anyone else in.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    looks like khedira may be coming to chelsea after all!

Very stupid idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Lukaku's staying with us this season then I think we should loan out Torres, even if it means topping his wages up. With another club contributing to his wages it'll still save us quite a bit on the wage bill at least. Would rather have someone young like Bamford given a chance as 3rd choice striker behind Costa and Lukaku if we're not going to bring anyone else in.

No, I think we need to keep Torres. You still see the odd flash of brilliance, and when he's in the mood his general play is pretty good. I've always said, if he could adapt his game to his diminished pace, we might still have a decent striker..but not a £50m super star. :)
    I've not seen much of Bamford, but he's certainly been getting goals at a much lower level. It would be an enormous step-up for him, even as a 3rd choice. Wasn't Islam Feruz rated in front of him at acadamy level ?
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sell Borini for £14m and buy Remy for £8m seems good business to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Sell Borini for £14m and buy Remy for £8m seems good business to me.

Looks good on paper, but I've never much cared for Remy's attitude. Perhaps Liverpool will be able to get the best out of him, and £14m is certainly a good price for Borini.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, I think we need to keep Torres. You still see the odd flash of brilliance, and when he's in the mood his general play is pretty good. I've always said, if he could adapt his game to his diminished pace, we might still have a decent striker..but not a £50m super star. :)
    I've not seen much of Bamford, but he's certainly been getting goals at a much lower level. It would be an enormous step-up for him, even as a 3rd choice. Wasn't Islam Feruz rated in front of him at acadamy level ?

Or Feruz. The main reason I didn't mention him is that he's had no experience out on loan, and I think the club would look to send him out somewhere first.

I think we need to start trusting some of our younger players - how will we ever know if they're good enough or not if we don't give them a chance? We only play with one striker anyway, so I don't see it as a huge risk to have someone like that as 3rd choice in that position. What's the worst case scenario? Costa and Lukaku both being unavailable and Bamford not cutting it? Then play Fabregas further forward like he's done in the past for Barca/Spain.

The trouble with Torres is he's rarely in the mood, and if he was ever going to adapt his game he would have done so by now. It's not like he hasn't been with us for 3.5 years already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or Feruz. The main reason I didn't mention him is that he's had no experience out on loan, and I think the club would look to send him out somewhere first.

I think we need to start trusting some of our younger players - how will we ever know if they're good enough or not if we don't give them a chance? We only play with one striker anyway, so I don't see it as a huge risk to have someone like that as 3rd choice in that position. What's the worst case scenario? Costa and Lukaku both being unavailable and Bamford not cutting it? Then play Fabregas further forward like he's done in the past for Barca/Spain.

The trouble with Torres is he's rarely in the mood, and if he was ever going to adapt his game he would have done so by now. It's not like he hasn't been with us for 3.5 years already.

Yes, I get your point, and I've said much the same in the past. But even Costa is a bit of a gamble, if this was his second season with us (after doing well in his first) I would probably agree. But you're suggesting three gambles, and at least we know where we stand with Torres. We've still managed to "get by" for 3+ years with Torres, even if he has been massive disappointment.
    But your argument about Fabregas is a good one. He could play as a false no 9..or we could use Schurrle, we didn't really give that experiment a chance playing him in a 4-2-3-1.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Hi. Sorry, I started another thread on this topic without seeing this one. I'll just add my opinion so far here so as not to split people up.

£24M is an absolute steal for Kroos in today's market. Add £60-£80M to that. Bayern must be gutted. Must be a clause in his contract. Or maybe he was in the last year and going to leave for free? Anyway...what a player!

I'm quite impressed by Newcastle's business so far. Janmaat looks another steal. Riviere I don't know. Cabella and De Jong have growing reputations too. Looks like 4 players who could improve them to me, if they settle in.

Chelsea - players coming out their ears now. They could probably win two top European divisions in one season with that squad! Having said that, I have my doubts about their signings so far. Fabregas, not sure, been on the wane for a little while I think but may prove me wrong. Costa, great record last season but underwhelming world cup. Strikers don't always settle in recent years at Chelsea. Filipe Luis, I don't know at all. Now to counter my negativity I should say that I think Chelsea's loan returnees are of a real high standard and I think will upstage the signings. Courtois we know is a top class keeper and I think we'll see him establish himself this season, sharing the duties at first with Cech before nailing down the spot in the second half of the season. Zouma, could be awesome in time, lot's of CBs coming out of France seem to be, of late. Omeruo (if I can spell it) impresses me any time I see him. Lukaku, seems to be on the way out but I'm not sure why. Van Ginkel, McEachran, Oriol all look good prospects too.

Arsenal - Sanchez, quality. Debuchy, I like a lot as well. Also the returning Joel Campbell to compete for a place up front (or wide). It's really an exceptional looking squad now if you can get Ozil and Giroud at their best and others contributing. If I was adding to it I'd be looking for a top midfielder who can play Flamini's role and another goalkeeper. Maybe a striker but I think Campbell has enough about him to come in and do that.

Man Utd - A new manager is the biggest signing of all, of course. Herrera, I don't know, but he comes from a strong club in terms of producing good technical midfielders so I imagine he has some quality. Shaw, youth is always a bit of a gamble but he's handled every challenge he's faced so far. I hope Van Gaal sees him as first choice and he becomes a regular.

Man City - Fernando, solid defensive mid, looks good. Caballero, extra goalie. Pretty stable summer so far for them.

Liverpool - Lambert, good at what he does but will find it harder to get the games he did at Southampton. Lallana, not sure at that price, may end up playing centrally more. Emre Can, good prospect, could do well. Markovic, awesome talent. Borini sold - I'd have kept him. I like him.

Spurs - New boss but no signings yet after last year's spending splurge.

I quite like QPR's signings too. Ferdinand on a free and Caulker. Not bad for a promoted team!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torres off to monaco or atletico?

i can only dream
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    I can't see us getting any more players. I mean we're based in the North with no CL, playing with the likes of Fellaini, Welbeck and Evans with only money to spend.

Sad times indeed for Utd fans.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    I can't see us getting any more players. I mean we're based in the North with no CL, playing with the likes of Fellaini, Welbeck and Evans with only money to spend.

I agree, Jo.

It's ridiculous to think that any player would want to play in front of 75,000 fans every home game, or play with players like Van Persie, Januzaj, Mata, Rooney, and De Gea.

Or work with a manager like Van Gaal, play for a club with a spectacular record of recent success, or even take advantage of United's global profile to raise their own.

We'll be scrapping with the likes of Burnley and Leicester for players.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »

I agree, Jo.

It's ridiculous to think that any player would want to play in front of 75,000 fans every home game, or play with players like Van Persie, Januzaj, Mata, Rooney, and De Gea.

Or work with a manager like Van Gaal, play for a club with a spectacular record of recent success, or even take advantage of United's global profile to raise their own.

We'll be scrapping with the likes of Burnley and Leicester for players.

Indeed. When you look it it like that then it's not surprising that we've barely won anything in the last few years whilst Chelsea have hoovered up title after title.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Indeed. When you look it it like that then it's not surprising that we've barely won anything in the last few years whilst Chelsea have hoovered up title after title.

To quote a former manager of ours, City should be the level we are aiming for, hopefully one day we will reach that level!
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Vorm to Spurs seems an odd one to me. Will be interesting to see how Ben Davies does though. Sigurdsson has gone the other way, looks a good move for him.

Barca have signed 30 year old left back/centre back Jeremy Mathieu from Valencia for €20m, seems like a great bit of business for the selling club.

Ivory Coast right back Serge Aurier has joined PSG on loan with an option to buy.

Mangala to City is apparently almost wrapped up for £32m. He and Kompany could prove a formidable partnership if he fulfils his potential.
  • Options
    willrelf92willrelf92 Posts: 15,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frank Lampard has signed for New York City FC, joining David Villa as the only players there so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi. Sorry, I started another thread on this topic without seeing this one. I'll just add my opinion so far here so as not to split people up.

£24M is an absolute steal for Kroos in today's market. Add £60-£80M to that. Bayern must be gutted. Must be a clause in his contract. Or maybe he was in the last year and going to leave for free? Anyway...what a player!

Absolutely! Kroos is an incredible buy at that price. I expect Bayern Munich to actually slip this year. Last time Germany won the World Cup with mostly Bayern Munich players, they fell apart the next season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add... £27 million for Shaw... really?! Plus £100,000 per week wages... really?! I absolutely agree with Mourinho - paying that much to a 19-year-old, albeit decent player, is financial suicide. Kroos cost £24 million, yet Shaw cost £27 million... really?!

:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Just to add... £27 million for Shaw... really?! Plus £100,000 per week wages... really?! I absolutely agree with Mourinho - paying that much to a 19-year-old, albeit decent player, is financial suicide. Kroos cost £24 million, yet Shaw cost £27 million... really?!

:eek:

One thing that really gets my goat is this "paying for potential". Its utter rubbish.

Yes, shaw could prove a steal at even £60m if he plays for United for the next 15 years.... but that is a very big "IF".

Shaw could be a good player, but he could be just another kid who showed potential and then never lived up to it.