Weddings have become too big and flashy

realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm at an age (30) where I get invited to a lot of weddings. I think they've become WAY too big and flashy, and the true meaning of them has been lost.

I've seen footage of my parents' wedding in 1976 on some primitive home video technology. They had a wedding at the city's main registry office, attended by family and a small number of close family friends. Then, they returned to my grandmother's house for pictures outside, then a buffet in her front room, and they put the record player on for signing and dancing. The following day, they went on honeymoon for a week or two at some British seaside town (I'm not sure which one).

Nowadays, it seems as though I'm expected to go on an incredibly stupid 'stag do' with a group of people I hardly ever see and in some cases don't know at all. I'm expected to take part in some 'activity' I have no interest in, then dress in a stupid costume for silly antics on a drunken night out, which usually involves somebody going too far.

The weddings themselves are more like making the bride a Disney princess for the day than a meaningful ceremony in which the couple make a life-long commitment to each other. It's normally held in some out-of-the-way location that'll mean staying overnight in a hotel, or face a long journey home.

I don't know what it is - I suspect it's a combination of three things: 1. A 'wedding industry' has grown over the last 20 years or so with companies brainwashing couples into buying an expensive wedding package. 2. People are subtly trying to out-do their friends. 3. Celebrity culture/ celebrity magazines puts ideas into women's heads.

Look, anyone can put on a flashy wedding do. Making a life-long marriage work is far more important.

Rant over!

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'd say they are too expensive.

I know a couple who spent over £10k on their white wedding. Horse and carridge to bring the bride to the venue.

They split up in under a year.

My sister got married in Cyprus. It wasn't too bad for them as they just paid for themselves. All the guests though had to book and pay for a holiday to get over there though.

Saying that, it was a nice holiday :cool: :D
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeez, you must be great fun to hang out with
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    I'm at an age (30) where I get invited to a lot of weddings. I think they've become WAY too big and flashy, and the true meaning of them has been lost.

I've seen footage of my parents' wedding in 1976 on some primitive home video technology. They had a wedding at the city's main registry office, attended by family and a small number of close family friends. Then, they returned to my grandmother's house for pictures outside, then a buffet in her front room, and they put the record player on for signing and dancing. The following day, they went on honeymoon for a week or two at some British seaside town (I'm not sure which one).

Nowadays, it seems as though I'm expected to go on an incredibly stupid 'stag do' with a group of people I hardly ever see and in some cases don't know at all. I'm expected to take part in some 'activity' I have no interest in, then dress in a stupid costume for silly antics on a drunken night out, which usually involves somebody going too far.

The weddings themselves are more like making the bride a Disney princess for the day than a meaningful ceremony in which the couple make a life-long commitment to each other. It's normally held in some out-of-the-way location that'll mean staying overnight in a hotel, or face a long journey home.

I don't know what it is - I suspect it's a combination of three things: 1. A 'wedding industry' has grown over the last 20 years or so with companies brainwashing couples into buying an expensive wedding package. 2. People are subtly trying to out-do their friends. 3. Celebrity culture/ celebrity magazines puts ideas into women's heads.

Look, anyone can put on a flashy wedding do. Making a life-long marriage work is far more important.

Rant over!

Maybe 1976 was a typo, it sounds like it by the "primitive" technology and the buffet in the 'front' room, (had to smile at the "signing" and dancing, were they all deaf?", or maybe your mother RE-MARRIED in 1976, otherwise, if you're 30, making you born in 1984, your mum was 8 when you were born!
    Hold the front page!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Maybe 1976 was a typo, it sounds like it by the "primitive" technology and the buffet in the 'front' room, (had to smile at the "signing" and dancing, were they all deaf?", or maybe your mother RE-MARRIED in 1976, otherwise, if you're 30, making you born in 1984, your mum was 8 when you were born!
    Hold the front page!
    She said her mother was married in 1976, not born in that year.
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hold the front page!

What are you talking about? My mother was born in 1953, got married in 1976 and had me in 1983. I know about my parents' wedding day because I've seen the video. Have you got something wrong with you or are you just illiterate and innumerate?
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love big and flashy weddings.

Who knows, it could be very possible to have both a fairy tale wedding and live happily ever after. They're certainly not mutually exclusive concepts.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i agree there is nothing wrong with Gretna green and a bag of chips and a light ale on the way home
  • AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. That's why me and my partner are getting married in the town hall, having afternoon tea with a few friends and family and then going to lake district for a few days. Nice and simple :)
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They had big weddings in the 70s too you know. And there are plenty of low-key weddings nowadays. Weddings are different, depending on what couples want. I don't think things have actually changed much, have they?
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved my wedding, it was pretty flash I guess. I hope to do it only once though!
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    I love big and flashy weddings.

Who knows, it could be very possible to have both a fairy tale wedding and live happily ever after. They're certainly not mutually exclusive concepts.

Agree! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved my wedding, it was pretty flash I guess. I hope to do it only once though!

statistics are likely saying you wont
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeez, you must be great fun to hang out with

You will love me then...I find weddings horrendous, drawn-out, turgid affairs and actually equate them on a par with funerals...in fact on the whole I actually prefer funerals.

The only wedding I ever enjoyed was a musician friend of mind who hired a castle for his wedding, it was a very laid back, kind of rock and roll affair, though still with the usual formalities...live music during the ceremony, great reception and the most beautiful scenery and surroundings.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    If you go to a stag-do with that attitude, you won't enjoy yourself.

Just make your excuses and give it a miss. You'll be doing yourself and the rest of the group a favour.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i agree there is nothing wrong with Gretna green and a bag of chips and a light ale on the way home

That sounds like my idea of a perfect wedding - apart from the light ale, that is! :D
    AaronWx wrote: »
    I agree. That's why me and my partner are getting married in the town hall, having afternoon tea with a few friends and family and then going to lake district for a few days. Nice and simple :)

Awww that sounds lovely. :)
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    They had big weddings in the 70s too you know. And there are plenty of low-key weddings nowadays. Weddings are different, depending on what couples want. I don't think things have actually changed much, have they?

I think they have. I knew of no 70s wedding that was anything like as extravagant and costly as some weddings now. A huge wedding industry has sprung up that simply did not exist 30 or 40 years ago.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, as Best Man speeches go, it is different.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    £29 in a registry office. £20 from gran for sandwiches. Cheap £10 dress from what everyone wants shop. Friend gave me a hat and her dad took the four of us there, he even put ribbons on the car. 5th January 1990. Yes we are still together. Spending large amounts on a wedding has nothing to do with people splitting up the same as going cheap. It's the people. If you can afford then go for it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    That sounds like my idea of a perfect wedding - apart from the light ale, that is! :D

Awww that sounds lovely. :)

lets elope and do it then :D I'll chuck in a sausage :D
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a stag to go to next month (2nd of the year) and I am looking forward to it :D
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Maybe a "red wedding" would be more of your thing, to liven* things up a bit?

Thinking of it, it could be considered "flashy" since the best bit goes quite quickly and it dies* down again soon.

* Pun not intended.
    ** Pun intended. :p
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate any formal events anyway but big wedding do type things just make me cringe.

Im a woman, I dont want to get married, although OH probably wouldnt mind. If we did, it would literally be a pop down the registry office and the a nice meal with friends and family. I see great big do.s of any type quite attention seeking actually.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    lets elope and do it then :D I'll chuck in a sausage :D

You old romantic you. I've never heard the wedding night described like that
  • LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our wedding almost three years ago cost less than a grand, we got married on a Tuesday (our third anniversary) in a registry office and had a BBQ for our 26 guests in our back Garden. We didn't have wedding cars, photographers or bridesmaids. Our cake came from Tesco and we loved it! When my brother in law got married my sister on laws dress alone cost more than our wedding. I enjoyed their wedding even though its not what we chose for our wedding. I think it is very much down to personal choice.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rant over!

Plenty of people who had simple weddings in the past got divorced; plenty of people who have big weddins don't.

It's a matter of personal choice what kind of wedding a couple has. I mean you're not being asked to pay for someone else's wedding are you?