Academy chain to scrap governing bodies

KJ_RedKJ_Red Posts: 175
Forum Member
'Cos corporations love democracy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35347602

Comments

• angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    Volunteer committees aren't always the best way to run things.
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    angarrack wrote: »

So parents shouldn't have a say.

I see in other news that scrutiny of academies is confused, fragmented and lacking in transparency according to the Education Select Committee.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not always the best but independent interested parties to my mind are better than the people who oversee the school being appointed by the company that runs it, that is a conflict of interest.
    Forum Member
    So parents shouldn't have a say.

I see in other news that scrutiny of academies is confused, fragmented and lacking in transparency according to the Education Select Committee.

If I read it correctly existing governors are being invited to join the committees.

Their options are to go off and sulk, join and try and sabotage it from within, or join and help to make it a success.
  • BaconAndEggsBaconAndEggs Posts: 9,526
    Forum Member
    If I read it correctly existing governors are being invited to join the committees.

Their options are to go off and sulk, join and try and sabotage it from within, or join and help to make it a success.

They'l no longer be able to influence standards, only celebrate achievements and interface with the community. We'd all be either sulking or saying "phew! finally a cushy role with no responsibility"

It's a control grab by the Academy bosses.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When local authorities ran schools the public could say to them "sort out this school or you're out!"

And it worked to raise standards.

Nowadays we have a situation where private organisations entrusted with "public services" are immune from public criticism.
    It's entirely corrupt and will result in terrible educational standards and abuses of power.
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    When local authorities ran schools the public could say to them "sort out this school or you're out!"

Nowadays we have a situation where private organisations entrusted with "public services" are immune from public criticism.
    It's entirely corrupt and will result in terrible educational standards and abuses of power.

Academies are run by non-profit making Charitable Trusts. The schools are regularly inspected and the results available for everyone to see and criticise.

Many people (including the parents who choose them) believe that being free from local authority control is better for the school. The ones I'm familiar with are much improved from when they were under the local authority, and very popular with parents.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Academies are run by non-profit making Charitable Trusts. The schools are regularly inspected and the results available for everyone to see and criticise.

Many people (including the parents who choose them) believe that being free from local authority control is better for the school. The ones I'm familiar with are much improved from when they were under the local authority, and very popular with parents.

You don't speak for anyone other than yourself, so what you are saying is no more valid than what I am saying.
  • BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member

Yep and they seem to be, in the majority, badly run with failing standards.
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »

And when were any local authorities actually held to account in that way? Too many people just carried on voting Labour.