Options

Malware Virus - Urgent help needed.

2»

Comments

• Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    The decision to clean or restore is a difficult one and has to be based on the machine in question. There are pros and cons to both arguments, the biggest of which is whether the user has all their data backed up (usually not).

Much of the recent fake malware is actually very quick and simple to remove, so on a reasonably well looked after system with just the one infection, there's no point in going for the restore (assuming, of course, you know what you're doing).

But on a neglected machine with numerous infections, it's better to restore and set everything back up properly afterwards. AV and malware scanners alone are not enough to guarantee that a system is clean of all infections.

Unfortunately, the neglected machines are often the ones with the largest amount of data (usually spread over multiple user accounts) and software/hardware installed, which can make backing up and reinstalling everything a huge job. But they are also the hardest and most time-consuming to clean up as well. It's a tough choice - potentially get everything cleaned up and running smoothly within a couple of hours or potentially still be left with a borked machine after wasting hour-after-hour running scans.

Hence why an individual machine has to be analysed and have the pros and cons weighed up. There is no definitive answer to the 'repair or reinstall' question.
  • Options
    kjh84kjh84 Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Now get MSE, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware downloaded onto your computer, all free. Also download Ccleaner, also free.

I had one virus many years ago but since I installed these have never even had a threat.

I was lurking on here earlier and i thought i'd give that spyware a whirl. All i can say is, what a damn good programme that is, as it found 523 threats to my computer!

I even had Malwarebytes running along side it and that found nothing.

So glad you mentioned it :D:D:D
  • Options
    nodnolnodnol Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to add my bit, that system tool malware was a sod to remove from a mates laptop. MBAM didnt even find this version of it, but SAS did, and successfully removed it.
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    kjh84 wrote: »
    I was lurking on here earlier and i thought i'd give that spyware a whirl. All i can say is, what a damn good programme that is, as it found 523 threats to my computer!

I even had Malwarebytes running along side it and that found nothing.

So glad you mentioned it :D:D:D

What were the threats? Some malware programs report minor issues which are of no consequence.
    nodnol wrote: »
    Just to add my bit, that system tool malware was a sod to remove from a mates laptop. MBAM didnt even find this version of it, but SAS did, and successfully removed it.

Was MBAM fully up-to-date (you often have to run the update option more than once)? I cleaned up a couple of 'System Tool' infected machines over the last few days, and MBAM dealt with them no problem.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Scrubber wrote: »
    I don't understand. Are you saying the laptop will still be infected after you've 'got rid of it' ?
    What do i need to do to?

Depends what you were infected with? Its also possible that a spyware remover /AV may remove bits of an infection leaving others. In June my Norton only reported an intrusion attempt but found nothing, Spybot was killed by what ever went in . Ad-aware took 2 files out , a rootkit hunter then took out 1 rootkit and then Superantispyware took out 15 assorted related trojans. The next attack escaped scans by Norton, Ad-aware, Superantispyware, Esset and several others and was only found as a concealed file rootkit by Trend's online scanner and then some kind soul posted a link to tdsskiller on a thread here which took out what was actually causing the computer not to run properly.

Its working fine now . but the question is do you trust the computer enough to use a credit card on it or use it for banking or to have files on it with important passwords or that let you into sites with other useable data?
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    I don't understand. Are you saying the laptop will still be infected after you've 'got rid of it' ?
    What do i need to do to?

You've been severely compromised.
    Are you going to match wits against malware makers? They've already shown they can knock down your door and have their way with your system. Why take the chance, scanners can't find many zero day expoits, there is no point taking the risk, wipe, restore, and be done with it.
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    pocatello wrote: »
    You've been severely compromised.

With what ? are you getting Scrubber mixed up with the OP ?
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    With what ? are you getting Scrubber mixed up with the OP ?

Heh I probably have, but the advice stands.
  • Options
    nodnolnodnol Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    What were the threats? Some malware programs report minor issues which are of no consequence.

Was MBAM fully up-to-date (you often have to run the update option more than once)? I cleaned up a couple of 'System Tool' infected machines over the last few days, and MBAM dealt with them no problem.

Good point. Never thought of that. Will remember that for next time.
  • Options
    ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can somebody tell me how i back up all my files to a cd?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone?

Also if i reboot my system will i need one of those windows disks to install windows? Because i don't have one of those.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    can somebody tell me how i back up all my files to a cd?

You seem to be hijacking this thread to ask a different question. Do you have a virus or what?

What version of Window? Which make/model of PC?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    You seem to be hijacking this thread to ask a different question. Do you have a virus or what?

What version of Window? Which make/model of PC?

Highjacking the thread :rolleyes: No point making a new thread when it's the same issue.

I'm the same person on somebody elses computer/account.

Windows XP. COMPAQ Presario R3000 (old laptop)