The Cabin in the Woods

Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
Forum Member
Watched this last night, wish I'd have gone to watch it at the cinema.

When trailers for the show came around I figured "another cheesy horror flick". Such the reason I turned down an invitation to watch it at the cinema with a group of colleagues from work, horror films (at least the traditional kind) aren't really my scene.

Anyway, like I said, I watched this the other night and damn I was impressed. Completely different to what I was expecting, nothing like the film I thought it was going to be. Started off as one thing, ended as something else.

Anyone else seen this? What did you think? Shame they can't really follow up with a sequel, the events at the end would make for something... creative (from a writing point of view).

Comments

• stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great idea poorly executed. Might watch it again, see if I can appreciate it more. I avoided watching the trailers because everyone was raving about it, seemed a bit silly and confusing at the start.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Great idea poorly executed. Might watch it again, see if I can appreciate it more. I avoided watching the trailers because everyone was raving about it, seemed a bit silly and confusing at the start.

See I disagree, thought the start was very clever in the kind of way Scream was with the satire about the genre. I thought there was 10mins when they got out of the lift where it went silly which somewhat ruined it for me me before it brought it back together for the ending
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent film!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    it was different ! lol
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Really wasn't sure about this flick to start with but ended up really enjoying it...
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that the fact they showed the underground bunker and it's workings from the start was inspired. I knew a little about this film and thought that the reveal would be half way through. That they kicked off with it, and were so brazen took me by surprise.

crackin movie.. i hope there's a sequel or some other kind of follow up to expand it's universe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was crap, started ok then became a train wreck.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was crap, started ok then became a train wreck.

Bit strong, are you a fan of horrors? There's loads of lttle winks to other films throughout. T
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    logansdad wrote: »
    Bit strong, are you a fan of horrors? There's loads of lttle winks to other films throughout. T

Yeah I love horror films hence my comment, I just found it too lightweight, cheesy and stupid, there was very little frightning in it, maybe I am just hard to please:D
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, watched it for the first time today!!! Wow, loved it very much. Kind of originally avoided it at the cinema for same reasons as yourself, though I had heard it was Different and very good.
    Got tempted to buy the DVD, as heard continuously by many that I should watch it. I had worried it was so overhyped to me, that I would be disappointed.
    And nope!! I was not dissappponted!! It was just faboulous. Me and my pal where absolutely in stitches at that
    lift sequence
    and had to rewind it to that point again as it was hilarious!!!
    Part of it reminded me of 13 Ghosts. Which was a different kind of horror film as well.
  • DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have to say this genre aint necessarily my thing, but immensely was enjoyable. Final scenes were awesome! - spoilers! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GREAT film. I watched the last 20 minutes or so completely open-mouthed. Fantastic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Loved it! Something different and had its' funny moments.
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a HUGE horror film fan but seriously? This film is beyond shocking! When I realised what direction it was going in I tried to watch it tongue in cheek but it was still really poor!!! Even the bit where 'you know who' pops up in the end couldn't save it - as someone already said it was a great idea just poorly executed. One of the worst films I have EVER seen
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. I tried to watch it tongue in cheek ..

I absolutely mean no disrespect here, but I had to smile at this statement as I had an image in my head of you sort of shifting in your seat to adopt a different sitting position so that you became 'tongue in cheek' :D

anyway, i think it's a very marmite film. A mate of mine watched it and hated it because he completely didn't get it - he thought the stuff in the cabin was the actual point of the film. Me, I absolutely loved it - probably even edges "Looper" as my film of the year (although not by much..).
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how to describe myself lol! But at first I was watching it with the view that it was a horror, then when it all went silly I tried to watch it as if it were a comedy but I just couldn't get my head around it!
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I love horror films hence my comment, I just found it too lightweight, cheesy and stupid, there was very little frightning in it, maybe I am just hard to please:D

It was never a horror film though, the problem (for people like yourself) was it had to be marketed as one because anything else would have spoilt the surprise!

Everyone I've seen or heard who didn't like TCITW seem to have been people expecting a scary movie, when actually they were getting a (sort of) sci-fi/comedy/fantasy.

I flipping loved it, but then I find the horror genre mostly ridiculous so it suited me down to the ground.
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Everyone I've seen or heard who didn't like TCITW seem to have been people expecting a scary movie, when actually they were getting a (sort of) sci-fi/comedy/fantasy.
    Count me as someone who got it, knew what to expect going in (to a degree) and just found it to be poorly done. Far too smug and up its own arse while not being half as clever as it thought it was.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    See I disagree, thought the start was very clever in the kind of way Scream was with the satire about the genre. I thought there was 10mins when they got out of the lift where it went silly which somewhat ruined it for me me before it brought it back together for the ending

The thing that confused me at the start was the shield around the facility, that made me think it was some kind of virtual reality type scenario. I thought the monsters were robots and couldn't figure out why there was blood when they killed them.

As a huge Buffy fan I can see all the good things Whedon does in the film, but my train of thought was derailed and when I finally realised I thought what a waste of an opportunity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I'd have liked to see alternate versions with different monsters but, that would have been expensive. I liked the overall concept, it did seem to go silly near the end though.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved it. Witty, clever and creepy.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Far too smug and up its own arse while not being half as clever as it thought it was.
    This x 2

Letting the audience in on the situation right from the start pretty much killed it flat. It may have worked better with the audience's viewpoint level with the just the cabin-dwellers - so the oddness builds and we at least have some sense of mystery, but no, they had to try and flatter us into thinking we're in on something clever.

And clever is not how anyone could describe its sub-Outer Limits 'Food of the Gods' denourement either. Absolute pish.
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it.

First time I've seen a cenobite in a semi-decent movie in 25 years!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this movie and thought it was good fun and was a refreshing change. Can someone explain the following to me though..
    why is it engineered to be entertaining, eg. enticing the boy/girl to have sex in the woods? Is it suppose to be some sort of reality TV show for the ancient gods?
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and when NIN's Last was heard at the end, I had a happy wee :)