Options

what would be so bad about a black doctor?

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeMeMeI wrote: »
    They are still a valid group to chose from:)

I want a Sikh who wears a turban or a Jewish Rabbi who likes cowboy hats. Both groups are unrepresented in DR Who.:)

Well, we've never had a Rabbi in Doctor Who, but the programme's creator Sidney Newman was Jewish, as was its first ever producer, Verity Lambert.

The first ever Doctor Who story's director, Warris Hussein, is Indian, although I don't know whether or not he's a Sikh. I would assume not. Isn't Hussein a Muslim name?
  • Options
    MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, we've never had a Rabbi in Doctor Who, but the programme's creator Sidney Newman was Jewish, as was its first ever producer, Verity Lambert.

The first ever Doctor Who story's director, Warris Hussein, is Indian, although I don't know whether or not he's a Sikh. I would assume not. Isn't Hussein a Muslim name?

They are behind the scene and not the lead character on the screen..
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    They are still a valid group to chose from:)

I want a Sikh who wears a turban or a Jewish Rabbi who likes cowboy hats. Both groups are unrepresented in DR Who.:)

Why would a rabbi go into acting? Besides, if they were a genuine rabbi then they certainly wouldn't go round wearing a cowboy hat. I'm not sure you fully understand what a rabbi is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also the Tardis is always one colour and favours blue..

It should change colour on a strict rota so as to not give more preference to one colour over another.

Not forgetting the show has become ageist, when was the last time the Doctors companion was a over 65 year old for a full series?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also the Tardis is always one colour and favours blue..

It should change colour on a strict rota so as to not give more preference to one colour over another.

Not forgetting the show has become ageist, when was the last time the Doctors companion was a over 65 year old for a full series?

Never. The Doctor's never been that old either. So the show hasn't "become" ageist, it's always had an age range.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Why would a rabbi go into acting? Besides, if they were a genuine rabbi then they certainly wouldn't go round wearing a cowboy hat. I'm not sure you fully understand what a rabbi is.

Not at all and just shows how narrow your expectations of Rabbi are.

There was a Rabbi who went on to become a famous comedian...

And why should a Rabb not like Cowboys?:confused: You are just limiting their potential based on your own assumptions..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not at all and just shows how narrow your expectations of Rabbi are.

There was a Rabbi who went on to become a famous comedian...

And why should a Rabb not like Cowboys?:confused: You are just limiting their potential based on your own assumptions..

It's not to do with them disliking cowboys, it's about them wearing an outfit that is disrespectful to their beliefs.

My friend's father is a rabbi and there are a lot of rules and boundaries.

Besides, hiring a rabbi to play the Doctor would be so politically correct that it would just be hilarious.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have absolutely no problem with the Doctor being played by a decent actor of any ethnicity or sexuality as long as they are right for the part. But a step too far is a female doctor. That is my personal preference and how I want to see the character.

Some people on here need to get down off their high horse and cease portraying themselves as super enlightened trailblazers just because they have no fixed idea on what the doctor should be. The tired jibes about 'The seventies' etc are just arrogant posturing.

My personal politics are about as progressive as you can get. I was raised by a single mother who is herself a staunch feminist and passed those values on to me. But this is FICTION. And I don't want a female doctor. It wouldn't be right for me. To say so doesn't make me a knuckle dragging misogynist so save the superiority complex. Its tiresome.

The Doctor is not a blank canvas...he has certain characteristics and a through line from Hartnell to Smith that makes HIM the doctor. Otherwise you might as well employ a bloody cat. I don't think the central aspects of the character would be affected or damaged by a change in skin color or sexuality. But a change in gender and indeed class would.

I can accept this however ,I personally really want to see a female Time Lord again, not like River Song but a real lady Time Lord. If they have to timey whimey Romana out of the time lock so be it. But having a woman to be equal with the Doctor is something I'd really like to see.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    nothing wrong with a black doctor, I assume Galifrey had black native people near the equator of the planet.

Its only genes that make us white or black or other, In a place where people regenerate I imagine that wouldnt be a preoblem sinbce the genes alter each time if there is some gene that makes you black in him then its plausable.

On a side note I don't have a problem with the doctor becoming a woman if it were to happen due to myself being transgender, although I would prefer him to remain a him due to tradition only.
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    There would be nothing wrong with having a black doctor. It would make a nice change to see a black actor playing The Doctor.
  • Options
    Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    The title of this thread is racist. They're Afro Galifreyian
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    It's not to do with them disliking cowboys, it's about them wearing an outfit that is disrespectful to their beliefs.

My friend's father is a rabbi and there are a lot of rules and boundaries.

Besides, hiring a rabbi to play the Doctor would be so politically correct that it would just be hilarious.

Well then they could hire a Chinese Jewish person to act the part of a Jewish Rabbi who has a liking for Cowboy hats..
    As I recall the Jewish are known for having a sense of humour and even a Rabbi may laugh..

The present Doctor likes a Fez and that was not seen as a insult to anyone:)

He would just be a Rabbi who always wanted to grow up as a Cowboy as a child..
  • Options
    hazelnuttwhikehazelnuttwhike Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    I do have an image of LIttle Britian's vomiting WI woman with some fans.

Ha! This :D

The actor/actress who gets the job will be the best. I thought negatively of Smith before I saw him play the Doctor. I learned my lesson.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    The only thing I worry about when the phrase 'best actor for the job' is bandied about is, if an actor of a different race, or gender is cast in the role of the doctor, something that I don't think should be a big deal in a supposedly progressive society such as this, then it is very easy for people to claim that Moffat and others on the BBC Casting panel, are only casting said individual because of their race, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

it will either be.

NEW WHO SOME WHITE BLOKE: BBC casting team refuse to acknowledge other genders or races.

or

WHO ARE YOU STUNT CASTING NOW: New Doctor black / woman (delete as applicable), desecrates 50 years of tradition in anniversary year, etc.

-

I worry if they cast a Doctor of a different race or gender because then, the casting becomes entirely about their difference from the status quo in the eyes of the media, and I wouldn't want that to distract from their, most probably, great performance of one of televisions longest serving and most loved characters.

I don't know what to expect in terms of the casting of doctor 12, but I'm sure it will be interesting. the 50th Anniversary year may be considered high time to shake up the formula, , or it may not, only time will tell.
  • Options
    dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    I would like to ask all the people who are against a black Doctor, what is they feel a black actor would lack that would mean he couldn't play the part of an alien? The Doctor being white before seems to be irrelevant because of the nature of his character. Come on be honest

And all those who talk about the best person for the Job are naive.
  • Options
    hazelnuttwhikehazelnuttwhike Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    dvirgo wrote: »
    And all those who talk about the best person for the Job are naive.

How so?
  • Options
    Artie FischalArtie Fischal Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On every occasion, since his third incarnation, some people have asked the question: "Will the next Doctor be black?"

At that time the name "Kenny Lynch" was floated and was deemed a preposterous idea. Now we have moved on and the chances of the next Doctor being of black origin are a reality.

However, we have to ask ourselves whether straying from the white British male scenario fits in with a storyline that started fifty years ago.

I think not.

It's for the same reason I wouldn't expect a resurrected John Shaft to be played by anybody but a black guy.
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see no problem with a black or Asian Doctor at all, and that's coming from somebody who's been accused of being a racist bigot on this very forum.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    It's for the same reason I wouldn't expect a resurrected John Shaft to be played by anybody but a black guy.

I wasn't aware that Shaft could change every molecule in his body in order to alter his appearance as an established part of his character in the blaxploitation movies nor did I realise he was an alien.
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't aware that Shaft could change every molecule in his body in order to alter his appearance as an established part of his character in the blaxploitation movies nor did I realise he was an alien.
    :)

It's fictional. :)
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    It's fictional. :)

:eek: You don't say.

So there is no problem having a black or female Doctor then.

John Shaft being black is an integral part of the character the Doctor being white however is not.

But as you say 'It's Fiction' though it is strange you replied with the exact point as to why a black Doctor isn't a problem. :confused:
  • Options
    Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well according to this Paramount wanted to make a movie in the 80s with either Michael Jackson or Bill Cosby in the role

http://www.kasterborous.com/2013/07/new-books-reveals-bizarre-doctor-who-movie-casting/

EDIT - i see this has already been mentioned on here
  • Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RTD did a good job at trying to reflect the society we live in today and make doctor who and SJA more multi cultural with their lead characters. Steven Moffat has not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: You don't say.

So there is no problem having a black or female Doctor then.

John Shaft being black is an integral part of the character the Doctor being white however is not.

But as you say 'It's Fiction' though it is strange you replied with the exact point as to why a black Doctor isn't a problem. :confused:

I knew you would come back with that. Call me a racist if you want. Report me to the mods. Flog me with a cat of nine tails if it makes you feel better.

If a black actor was given the part it would seal the death warrant of Doctor Who as a TV programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Karina wrote: »
    Ok I'm strongly against a female lesbian doctor, however whats so bad about a black male?

Surely race doesn't matter seeing as River Song has changed race? Okay maybe an African/Jamaican accent would be too much but surely if it was a British black actor it would be fine? I understand with all the Bond fans complaining about a black actor for that role but surely The Doctor is different seeing as his change of appearance is always explained and has been revealed that he can change race.

There already been a female "Doctor" - from the original series in the guise of Romana, and the BBC can easily commission a series focused on her adventures.

Provided that the actor had credibility, such as Colin Salmon, Idris Elba, or Chiwetel Ejiofor, I don't that viewers would reject the character.... however, even if the race does not change, there remains a problem. In the light of recent casting decisions, for example in respect to James Bond Skyfall, the last thing Dr Who would need is for an actor to be someone as absurd as the actor for "Q".