Options

Credit score

tosha43tosha43 Posts: 353
Forum Member
How ironic is it that you need plastic to see your credit score, mine is poor so want to see it tried to sign up for the 30 day free trial but you need a card. Does anyone know of other ways I may get to see it. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    You have a right to see your credit record. You can write to the credit agencies and ask for a copy. You can pay by cheque or postal order if you don't have a credit card.
  • Options
    KnightonKnighton Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tosha43 wrote: »
    How ironic is it that you need plastic to see your credit score, mine is poor so want to see it tried to sign up for the 30 day free trial but you need a card. Does anyone know of other ways I may get to see it. Thanks

If you can stretch to it, one of the many pre-pay credit cards can be used in nearly all the same ways as a conventional credit card.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get your statutory credit report here: http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/statutory-report.html

Will cost you £2.
  • Options
    urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I never understood why anyone needs 30 days, or any kind of long-term commitment to this kind of thing. Its £2. How often does anyone need this info??
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the end your credit score means little at times
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    In the end your credit score means little at times

And at other times it means a lot, especially if you are trying to get a loan or credit agreement.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    And at other times it means a lot, especially if you are trying to get a loan or credit agreement.

Not really - lenders will have their own specific criteria which determines whether they are prepared to issue credit or not. There may be a high correlation with credit score, but they are likely to take other factors into account.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100% use https://www.noddle.co.uk/
    they "take" 1p but its refunded back and its perfect they sorted out that Barclays farce for me in a matter of days. (wrong information on my credit score)
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How do you know your credit score is poor? Each lender scores differently and does not share their methodology on how they score somebody. You're mixing up Credit Score and Credit Rating which are two different things. The scores that credit reference agencies sell are total nonsense and designed to make you part with your money.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    100% use https://www.noddle.co.uk/
    they "take" 1p but its refunded back and its perfect they sorted out that Barclays farce for me in a matter of days. (wrong information on my credit score)

OP doesn't have a card though. As I just found out you have to use one that's in your name to register with Noddle, I tried to register using a card that I have as an additional cardholder and it wasn't having it.

I tried again using a card in my name as main cardholder and it let me register.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member

It's not your score that is important. It's the report that makes up the score that matters.

How much you borrowed, confirmation that payments were regular, outstanding debt...

And, particularly if your report goes to manual assessment by the underwriters...

Who you borrowed from...
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not your score that is important. It's the report that makes up the score that matters.

How much you borrowed, confirmation that payments were regular, outstanding debt...

And, particularly if your report goes to manual assessment by the underwriters...

Who you borrowed from...

This.

The scoring is nonsense, it's made up by the agencies to give a representation of the score to a consumer. Noddle, Experian etc will all score differently, however the information contained in the report will largely be the same, but not all companies share with all agencies however - Sky don't share with Experian but do with the others.

Your credit report is the important thing, who you've borrowed off, how you manage those accounts etc. A saving's account is never included but a bank account with an overdraft should be. A lender will be looking at the information contained there and applying their own scoring. Also something like Credit Expert from Experian won't show you the information you don't give it - if you've been made bankrupt or have a CCJ against you at one address, and that address is not added on your report then it won't show up unless it's added - however lenders can still see it.

The most important thing I would advise anyone is to ensure they're registered on the Electoral Roll - a lender can turn you down for this reason alone!