Subway. What do you make of it?

Comments

• 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it does

It smells like freshly cooked bread to me

How come then other bread places, from Greggs and Bakers Oven through to Paul and Le Pain Quotidien, don't smell as rancid as a Subway store?
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    How come then other bread places, from Greggs and Bakers Oven through to Paul and Le Pain Quotidien, don't smell as rancid as a Subway store?

That's like saying why doesn't the perfume shop smell like the perfume section of John Lewis

I don't think the bread is baked in greggs, I think they get it in
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's like saying why doesn't the perfume shop smell like the perfume section of John Lewis

I don't think the bread is baked in greggs, I think they get it in

Greggs bake their bread from frozen, but it still doesn't smell at all.

Whatever Subway does to create that stench is unique to them. No other fast food chain stinks as bad
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Greggs bake their bread from frozen, but it still doesn't smell at all.

Whatever Subway does to create that stench is unique to them. No other fast food chain stinks as bad

Well I like the smell
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it does

It smells like freshly cooked bread to me

Perhaps your smell is going, or you go to some dodgy bakers...because the one thing it doesn't smell off is freshly baked bread.
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Perhaps your smell is going, or you go to some dodgy bakers...because the one thing it doesn't smell off is freshly baked bread.

No and no
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No and no

Well you do live in a house full of hamsters, so in that regards I suppose it does make a pleasant smell. But it most certainly isn't the smell of freshly baked bread, which has a nice aroma, something subway doesn't.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a bunch of moaning Minnie's on this thread. Anyway the British public obviously likes Subway. It now has more branches then MCdonalds in the UK.
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Well you do live in a house full of hamsters, so in that regards I suppose it does make a pleasant smell. But it most certainly isn't the smell of freshly baked bread, which has a nice aroma, something subway doesn't.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    DadDancer wrote: »
    I stopped going since they stopped doing the £1.99 sub of the day. :(

Me too. I used to go almost every day for sub of the day, except on Meatball Marinarer day, which is just too messy for my liking. I'd buy one if I could guarantee that there would be an opportunity wash my face at some point before where I next needed to be!

These days, all the "offers" seem to involve a drink, which doesn't work if you want to buy a sub and then eat it on the go with nowhere to put the drink. I refuse to take up an "offer" and then just ditch the drink on a number of levels.

The other issue I have with Subway is when you order a hot sub when they're quiet and the server can't be bothered to wait for the microwave / oven to run to full time and stops it early and you get a luke warm sub. It's not a problem when they're busy because they put yours in the oven and then get on with serving the next person.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SequShor wrote: »
    Me too. I used to go almost every day for sub of the day, except on Meatball Marinarer day, which is just too messy for my liking. I'd buy one if I could guarantee that there would be an opportunity wash my face at some point before where I next needed to be!

These days, all the "offers" seem to involve a drink, which doesn't work if you want to buy a sub and then eat it on the go with nowhere to put the drink. I refuse to take up an "offer" and then just ditch the drink on a number of levels.

The other issue I have with Subway is when you order a hot sub when they're quiet and the server can't be bothered to wait for the microwave / oven to run to full time and stops it early and you get a luke warm sub. It's not a problem when they're busy because they put yours in the oven and then get on with serving the next person.

Just ask him or her to put it in for longer?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I like the smell

You're allowed! I find it personally revolting ;-)
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Subway smell definitely does have something to do with the process of baking their bread in the store. But it is also a weird smell. It certainly doesn't smell like walking into a proper bakery. The bread isn't very good either. The bread may be baked on premises, but unlike a bakery they get their dough factory-made and shipped to them and just heat it up in their bread oven. There might be some unpleasant preservative or something in there to compensate for the fact that the dough isn't made fresh before being baked.
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Just ask him or her to put it in for longer?

Excuse me, can you do your job properly and leave my sub in the toaster for the full 20 seconds?

Doesn't exactly end in smiles all round and thank you very much have a nice day and a warm reception when you go back the next and the same person is on!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SequShor wrote: »
    Excuse me, can you do your job properly and leave my sub in the toaster for the full 20 seconds?

Doesn't exactly end in smiles all round and thank you very much have a nice day and warm reception when you go back the next and the same person is on!

You don't have to sound as pompous as that. How about could you toast it a bit longer please? Not that hard.
    Forum Member
    You don't have to sound as pompous as that. How about could you toast it a bit longer please? Not that hard.

That's not an example of what i'd say IRL - because I don't even bother saying anything I just don't go to Subway as often as I would.

The server knows they stopped the process short, so it doesn't matter how polite you are, they will know the context of the situation.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was only ever in there once, around 2004/5, and wasn't impressed.

It was new to the city I worked in then. A co-worker regularly came in with foot-long subs from there, so I was intrigued. I thought I could just go pick a ready-made sandwich, but was surprised and disappointed to see only a counter with masses of fillings and sub rolls to choose from, with nothing ready-made. As I was the only one in at the time, the assistant immediately called me over, so it wasn't as if I could scarper back out again without being noticed. I just remember the guy going through all the fillings asking me if I wanted any. In the end I opted for a 6-inch sub with chicken (3 or 4 chunks... rip off) and a couple of other fillings. They didn't even butter it. It was a half-filled roll with lots of dry gaps. And it cost bloody £3 or £4. I never set foot in the place again, and happily went back to my well-filled £1.50 shop sandwiches.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was only ever in there once, around 2004/5, and wasn't impressed.

It was new to the city I worked in then. A co-worker regularly came in with foot-long subs from there, so I was intrigued. I thought I could just go pick a ready-made sandwich, but was surprised and disappointed to see only a counter with masses of fillings and sub rolls to choose from, with nothing ready-made. As I was the only one in at the time, the assistant immediately called me over, so it wasn't as if I could scarper back out again without being noticed. I just remember the guy going through all the fillings asking me if I wanted any. In the end I opted for a 6-inch sub with chicken (3 or 4 chunks... rip off) and a couple of other fillings. They didn't even butter it. It was a half-filled roll with lots of dry gaps. And it cost bloody £3 or £4. I never set foot in the place again, and happily went back to my well-filled £1.50 shop sandwiches.

Well you will be glad to know that nothing has changed in all those years, so you have done the right thing.
  • cactuscactus Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Tried Sub of the day for 5 days in a row as a crash course after seeing queues and subs everywhere.

Thought the first was OK but enjoyment decreased day by day and had to force the last one down.

This was a few years ago but I was left with the general impression that visually each day the sandwich looked quite different but to be honest tasted pretty samey and indistinct. I don't think it matters what you order, that's just choice theatre and most of the taste sensation is down to that overpowering mystery smell. Hold my breath when I walk past now.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    What a bunch of moaning Minnie's on this thread. Anyway the British public obviously likes Subway. It now has more branches then MCdonalds in the UK.

I think I read somewhere that they have more branches than any other fast food outlet globally, not just the UK
  • Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always wondered what they do with the other half of the footlong when you want a six inch and why do they always give you the half that you don't want?
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    How you guys (for example) even manage to get out of the house without feeling ill is beyond me. To me these reactions are not normal and sound more like a medical condition.

It's patently obvious that this thread is full of little drama queens.

If anybody did feel that unwell or upset and the smell of Subway it's amazing they can get anything accomplished in their day to day life.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    How you guys (for example) even manage to get out of the house without feeling ill is beyond me. To me these reactions are not normal and sound more like a medical condition.

Have you ever walked withing 20 yards of the Lush soap shop? Those places are ridiculously headache and vomit inducing pumping their bike stench into the street like nerve gas. I always have to give them a wide berth and hold my breath whenever I walk past.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    It's patently obvious that this thread is full of little drama queens.

If anybody did feel that unwell or upset and the smell of Subway it's amazing they can get anything accomplished in their day to day life.

This.
    Seth1 wrote: »
    I've always wondered what they do with the other half of the footlong when you want a six inch and why do they always give you the half that you don't want?

If you are really being serious here, you could request which bit of the foot long you want, but don't be surprised to get a few strange looks, as the average 'sandwich artist' will think you are a bit out there.

In any event, both six inch parts of their foot long breads look the same pretty well, so what am I missing here?

Next we'll be hearing people complaining about the tomato slices being cut with slightly different thickness or the lettuce leaves are cut into too small or too large a piece and/or the sweetcorn is not yellow enough.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Have you ever walked withing 20 yards of the Lush soap shop? Those places are ridiculously headache and vomit inducing pumping their bike stench into the street like nerve gas. I always have to give them a wide berth and hold my breath whenever I walk past.

I expect I have, but it wasn't a sufficiently notable event to be able to say for sure. It's not the sort of place I shop in, but it's got nothing to do with the smell.

Having quickly checked I have many a time. I didn't even really notice it in a way that made me think it stinks and wanted to be sick.