Comments

• Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overnights.tv @overnightstv · 34m
    BBC4's #ArtofChina pulled in a decent audience of 547.3k/2.7% at 9pm

Overnights.tv @overnightstv · 36m
    #15billionpoundrailway continued to fascinate, attracting 2.2m viewers/10.8% to BBC2 at 9pm
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 is planning to turn its in-house production division into an independent unit capable of pitching to rival broadcasters. The move has been identified as a key part of the producer’s next stage of growth, following its launch two and a half years ago.

5Production has had a stellar year, producing hits for its parent channel including Benefits Britain: Life On The Dole, which has consolidated to average 2.5 million (10%) for its first six episodes.

C5 is now working towards spinning off the division into a standalone company that it would continue to own, but which could pitch and produce for other broadcasters both in the UK and internationally. It is understood that this process will be pursued once the Viacom acquisition has been completed.

5Production is also moving into formats and drama-documentaries, and is close to announcing a major new project.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/c5-to-free-production-arm-to-pitch-projects-to-rivals/5075756.article?blocktitle=Top-Stories&contentID=2298
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie: 5.97m (33.1%) [+1: 395k (2.1%)]
    Emmerdale: 4.77m (28.8%) [+1: 279k (1.6%)]

Poor showing from the ITV soaps - figures aren't surprising but the shares are.

Hollyoaks (C4): 785k (5.2%)
    Hollyoaks (E4): 855k (5.1%) [+1: 194k (1.1%)] *Best rating since June 2nd for E4 broadcast*
    Neighbours: 522k (7.3%) + 711k (6.0%)
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Tricks is in the programme info for August 16-22.

So it'll be on before Bank Holiday Monday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/search?medium=tv&channel=&yearweek=&day=
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/search?medium=tv&channel=&yearweek=&day=

It seems BBC1 has two Autumn phases these days. Phase 1 is mid-August until mid-October, and phase 2 is mid-October until Christmas. So many new programmes now start in August it is a far cry from the days of old when Autumn would be heralded in via fanfare on the first Saturday of September! I miss those days.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    It seems BBC1 has two Autumn phases these days. Phase 1 is mid-August until mid-October, and phase 2 is mid-October until Christmas. So many new programmes now start in August it is a far cry from the days of old when Autumn would be heralded in via fanfare on the first Saturday of September! I miss those days.
    Yes, I remember those days too. Trouble was, after a very lean patch of around 6 weeks July-Aug when all we got were some naff programmes & repeats (all of the comedy & drama series had already finished), everything kicked in during that first week of September, leading to clashes galore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Yes, I remember those days too. Trouble was, after a very lean patch of around 6 weeks July-Aug when all we got were some naff programmes & repeats (all of the comedy & drama series had already finished), everything kicked in during that first week of September, leading to clashes galore.

I'm sure Steve Williams will know this, but what year was it that BBC1 showed a repeat of an 80 minute Denis Norden fronted show called "The Funny Side of Christmas" in August? I remember the scowl's of my mum that evening! I also remember Summer Saturday nights of virtual tedium as Miss Marple repeats and TV movies dominated summer's on BBC1 too. I think the Marple repeats were in 1992 preceeding and following the Barcelona Olympics. Anyone care to correct me?
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member

I'll get a start date right one of these days. Does make sense though, instead of starting all their dramas the same week and risk one overshadowing the others they're staggering them out, In The Club starts in the first week, The Village in the second and now New Tricks in the third. The Wednesday 9pm slot opens up in the fourth week, could we see another drama there? Or will they just start The Apprentice?
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's clear the CG are being done in the wrong way, they are not a "grand slam" sporting event like the Olympics, WImbledon or the World Cup.

They are more of a celebratory thing, a fun patriotic thing. Which could have done very well ratings-wise if that had been the approach, which I think it was when in Manchester 2002.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny, I seem to recall that you were writing "Tumble" off as soon as it was announced last year. In due respect, there is no way it is a copycat of Dancing On Ice. For one start, the contestants have to learn gymnastic skills and not "dance on ice". Why don't we all wait to see what it's like before it gets written off! I suspect many already written their draft posts proclaiming it as awful even before it's been on. You could argue that everything copies everything anyway. One show inspires another. It always has done! I remember in the 1980's the BBC showed "Little and Large" whilst at the same time ITV showed "Cannon and Ball". Virtually identical formats but with different personalities. Nothing has changed in reality.

It could even be said that Dancing On Ice was a take on the BBC's one off of Strictly Ice Dancing ;-) (which featured at least 2 of the later DoI contestants and a pro-skater)
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

Those were the days. As soon as September came there were lots of new series all over the schedules. ITV still do that while BBC1 uses August as the start of the new season.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    From DS

BBC One's continued Commonwealth Games coverage topped the ratings overall with 3.82m (20.4%) at 7pm.

On BBC Two, Britain's Flying Past brought in 966k (5.6%) at 7pm, followed by The Stuarts with 1.31m (7.1%) at 8pm and 15 Billion Pound Railway with 2.17m (10.8%) at 9pm.

ITV's All-Star Mr & Mrs entertained 3.24m (16.4%) at 8pm (188k/0.9%). A repeat of Trevor McDonald's Inside Death Row fascinated 1.71m (8.5%) at 9pm (130k/0.8%).

On Channel 4, This Old Thing appealed to 748k (4.0%) at 8pm (107k/0.5%), while One Born Every Minute brought in 1.24m (6.2%) at 9pm (221k/1.3%). The Mimic amused 410k (2.3%) at 10pm.

Channel 5's Emergency Bikers interested 665k (3.6%) at 8pm, followed by Caught on Camera with 940k (4.7%) at 9pm and Big Brother with 1.25m (7.5%) at 10pm.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have the official rating for the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony? Just wondering if it broke the 8m mark. Many thanks :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    From DS

BBC One's continued Commonwealth Games coverage topped the ratings overall with 3.82m (20.4%) at 7pm.

On BBC Two, Britain's Flying Past brought in 966k (5.6%) at 7pm, followed by The Stuarts with 1.31m (7.1%) at 8pm and 15 Billion Pound Railway with 2.17m (10.8%) at 9pm.

ITV's All-Star Mr & Mrs entertained 3.24m (16.4%) at 8pm (188k/0.9%). A repeat of Trevor McDonald's Inside Death Row fascinated 1.71m (8.5%) at 9pm (130k/0.8%).

On Channel 4, This Old Thing appealed to 748k (4.0%) at 8pm (107k/0.5%), while One Born Every Minute brought in 1.24m (6.2%) at 9pm (221k/1.3%). The Mimic amused 410k (2.3%) at 10pm.

Channel 5's Emergency Bikers interested 665k (3.6%) at 8pm, followed by Caught on Camera with 940k (4.7%) at 9pm and Big Brother with 1.25m (7.5%) at 10pm.

It is hard to think that we're still in July (just) and this is the month that 16m watched a World Cup final on a balmy Sunday evening just three weeks ago. Seems much much longer. It is also proof that hot or not, if something enticing is on, people will watch it! I long for the post-sport era when schedules return to normality. The ratings and topics will hopefully be far more interesting.

Does anyone else think it has been an incredibly long month?
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure Steve Williams will know this, but what year was it that BBC1 showed a repeat of an 80 minute Denis Norden fronted show called "The Funny Side of Christmas" in August?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC&dat=19830822&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks Steve - as reliable as ever! I thought it was a Denis Norden show but it seems it was Frank Muir!
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll get a start date right one of these days. Does make sense though, instead of starting all their dramas the same week and risk one overshadowing the others they're staggering them out, In The Club starts in the first week, The Village in the second and now New Tricks in the third. The Wednesday 9pm slot opens up in the fourth week, could we see another drama there? Or will they just start The Apprentice?

On Wednesday at 9pm, I think we'll get Our Girl (5 episode series) followed by The Apprentice (from Wednesday 1st October until Christmas).
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Those were the days. As soon as September came there were lots of new series all over the schedules. ITV still do that while BBC1 uses August as the start of the new season.

A little bit like these couple of trailers for ITV

This one includes the start of Corrie on Friday's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRB_ck2I780

and this one is drama
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNYZrT34pi8

When you see the variety just from those two you realise how little ITV do these days.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad news folks - Jonathan Ross tells The Sun he will not be moving to the States because he's not good enough to get a job there as a chat show host. Even worse news - his UK show returns to ITV shortly:D
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I'm sure Steve Williams will know this, but what year was it that BBC1 showed a repeat of an 80 minute Denis Norden fronted show called "The Funny Side of Christmas" in August? I remember the scowl's of my mum that evening! I also remember Summer Saturday nights of virtual tedium as Miss Marple repeats and TV movies dominated summer's on BBC1 too. I think the Marple repeats were in 1992 preceeding and following the Barcelona Olympics. Anyone care to correct me?

No you're correct - they did a run of Marple feature-length repeats on Saturdays in Summer '92. I didn't mind too much as I'd been too young to see the early Marples on their first showing.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly Kenny Ireland who plays Donald Stewart on Benidorm has passed away from Cancer. RIP

The episode tonight at 10:35pm should hopefully mean he gets a tribute at the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Markynotts wrote: »
    A little bit like these couple of trailers for ITV

This one includes the start of Corrie on Friday's
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRB_ck2I780

and this one is drama
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNYZrT34pi8

When you see the variety just from those two you realise how little ITV do these days.

I can remember Rollercoaster (or Coasting as it ended up being called) being a flop - I think it was Peter Howitt's first big vehicle post-Bread, but it was up against Casualty on Fridays which was really taking off at that point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    I can remember Rollercoaster (or Coasting as it ended up being called) being a flop - I think it was Peter Howitt's first big vehicle post-Bread, but it was up against Casualty on Fridays which was really taking off at that point.

Autumn Friday nights on BBC1 in 1990 were huge ratings winners! That was a rarity in those days!
    8.00pm Bruce Forsyth's Generation Game
    9.00 Nine O'Clock News
    9.25 Casualty

I seem to remember the 1990 series of Casualty being the run that ended on a cliffhanger as Charlie Fairhead was shot at the very end of the last episode. Or was that a dream?
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Autumn Friday nights on BBC1 in 1990 were huge ratings winners! That was a rarity in those days!
    9.00 Nine O'Clock News
    9.25 Casualty

I seem to remember the 1990 series of Casualty being the run that ended on a cliffhanger as Charlie Fairhead was shot at the very end of the last episode. Or was that a dream?

Nah, that was Dallas.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    9.00 Nine O'Clock News
    9.25 Casualty

No you're absolutely right there. It was also Brenda Fricker's last full series as Megan. You can see the episode here:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRPxx6Cd_Ks
This discussion has been closed.