Options

Russell Brand on Amy Winehouse and addiction....

patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not ashamed to say I cried reading that. I agree, OP it's powerful stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,048
    Forum Member
    It is, I have saved the link for that reason. And the language is simple yet candid enough to maybe make people think about the nature of addiction.
  • Options
    lovely_ladylovely_lady Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    Russell Brand should shut up! This is not the time for him to publisize himself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russell Brand should shut up! This is not the time for him to publisize himself.
    oh dear.

he's publicising addiction and the need for more help, which i'm sure you understand given his past.
  • Options
    intjintj Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did you actually take the trouble to read his piece?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jmac04 wrote: »
    oh dear.

he's publicising addiction and the need for more help, which i'm sure you understand given his past.
    Don't feed the troll.;)

Brand is qualified to speak in those terms because it's a case of been there, done that. He overcame it though. It's such a pity that Amy couldn't.:(
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    What an amazing and emotional tribute (and i'm by no means a Brand fan, by the way).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    That's really beautiful, Russell has a way with words and they were put to great use here. xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member

He is not publicising himself. He has been there, knows and recognises addiction and what it can do to you. He is saying it is an illness, which many people have, and that the government should help before the person gets to prison, lands in a mental institute, if there are any nowadays, or relatives get the call, - death. I think he put a lot of thought into his piece and was not publicising himself but feeling for a dear friend .
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i saw an interview with russell and he seemed a different person who who's portrayed in the media. he was really eloquent and also quite humble.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not ashamed to say I cried reading that. I agree, OP it's powerful stuff.

I did too.
  • Options
    Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Russell does things like this I remember why I like him.

The last paragraph is especially poignant.
  • Options
    pearljpearlj Posts: 1,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did too.

The bit where he says that addicts tend to look through you whilst talking to you, as if they are seeing beyond you is so right. I have a friend who drinks too much but denies she is an alcoholic, and she does that when she talks to you. Not a fan of Russell myself but this was a very insightful and though provoking piece. RIP Amy.
  • Options
    -Felicity--Felicity- Posts: 4,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading that brought a tear to my eye. I am no fan of Russel Brand but that was a very moving tribute.

Rest in peace Amy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,115
    Forum Member
    That brought tears to my eyes :(

Brand always has such an exquisite way with words, very powerful stuff. I wish his tribute would get mentioned on the news rather than mindless Twitter quotes from celebs who didn't even know Amy.
  • Options
    BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to regard Russel Brand as, at best, an irritating and talentless tw*t with a daft voice. And I doubtless will again... but right now, I'm in awe of what he has written, which demands to be printed full page in every paper on Monday. It's simply brilliant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautifully written, articulate piece that isn't bigging up his relationship with Amy or making it out to be more than it was, but using it to highlight the illness that is addiction. As with so many illnesses, some people survive it and others, sadly, don't.

RIP Amy.
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with most of the posters so far, a wonderful piece, very moving. RIP Amy.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very fitting, albeit heartbreaking, response to her death: no drama, no sentiment, just a factual, loving tribute to the sweet, dark, vulnerable, soulful person she was, with the crucial message that the life of an addict is the most, miserable, hopeless existence, and Amy, tragically, like so many others, was unable to overcome it. That last sentence is horribly poignant -

"All they have to do is pick up the phone and make the call. Or not. Either way, there will be a phone call."

RIP sweet Amy. And kudos to Russell for telling it like it is.
  • Options
    crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    Russell Brand should do what I am doing and take action to turn around things in Camden. I know his writing is heartfelt but I have taken ACTION to confront Camden Crapcil's policies. He should too, he has a far more powerful voice than I and he lives here. It is not compulsory to use Class A drugs in order to express creative talents but you come to Camden Town and you get spoonfed a whole different story - we're brainwashing youngsters a lie here. They think buy a guitar, dress like Amy / Pete Doherty, take loads of drugs, hang around divey little bars and clubs, and you're gonna get 'spotted' by some amazing agent who thinks you're a tortured genius. LIE. We're creating a generation of gormless rich kids who think a certain hat, some skinny black jeans, and vomiting your guts in Camden High Street is creative in its own right. It isn't. Amy was talented -and- afflicted. The ones who try to mimic this are copying the affliction not the talent. They can't even think for themselves, very few are genuinely talented or creative - being some-one else's clone is not an indication of individuality or free thinking. So where are these thousands of drunk and high kids going to end up? Respected artists, I don't think so. Dead. It's about time we assisted emerging talent on the grounds of hardworking clean sober skilled people of all ages instead of focussing on the youth who have rich enough parents to pay for their drama classes and a flat in Camden. And that isn't a hit at Amy, her death is a tragedy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took Amy's death personally because my sister is an addict, in recovery, but still an addict. My family has been waiting for that phone call since I was about 9 years old until I was about 30, which was 4 years ago. Russell has explained better than I ever could. Trust me, you know it could happen, but it is something you will never see coming, simply because you cling to the hope the addict will say "enough" and that one day your loved one will once again be that person they were before they got hooked. God, I am getting upset again.
  • Options
    janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    pearlj wrote: »
    The bit where he says that addicts tend to look through you whilst talking to you, as if they are seeing beyond you is so right. I have a friend who drinks too much but denies she is an alcoholic, and she does that when she talks to you. Not a fan of Russell myself but this was a very insightful and though provoking piece. RIP Amy.

I met Russel while in his addicted days and he had this exact look, or non-look, in his eyes.

As ever with Brand, it is well written and from the heart.

Maybe, in time to come, he wlll start to do more by setting up some sort of foundation with Amy's family.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katie841 wrote: »
    That brought tears to my eyes :(

Brand always has such an exquisite way with words, very powerful stuff. I wish his tribute would get mentioned on the news rather than mindless Twitter quotes from celebs who didn't even know Amy.
    Perdita_x wrote: »
    Beautifully written, articulate piece that isn't bigging up his relationship with Amy or making it out to be more than it was, but using it to highlight the illness that is addiction. As with so many illnesses, some people survive it and others, sadly, don't.

RIP Amy.
    lexi22 wrote: »
    A very fitting, albeit heartbreaking, response to her death: no drama, no sentiment, just a factual, loving tribute to the sweet, dark, vulnerable, soulful person she was, with the crucial message that the life of an addict is the most, miserable, hopeless existence, and Amy, tragically, like so many others, was unable to overcome it. That last sentence is horribly poignant -

"All they have to do is pick up the phone and make the call. Or not. Either way, there will be a phone call."

RIP sweet Amy. And kudos to Russell for telling it like it is.

I agree with you all. An articulate, eloquent, intelligent, beautiful yet saddening piece of writing. Thank you for sharing, Russell, and I hope that Amy finally finds peace. Sleep well. :(
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a poignant,heartfelt well written piece by Russell
    As another poster said ,that article in all it's entirety should be on the front page of every newspaper tomorrow to Highlight what being an addict truly means.

Bless you Russell and RIP Amy
  • Options
    EastEndFan05EastEndFan05 Posts: 4,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beautiful tribute.