Options

Stephen King recommendation

rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've read a few SK in the past:

Pet Sematary, Misery, Carrie, Dolores Claiborne, Cujo.

Thinking of reading some more of his but not sure what to go for first.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gerald's Game
    Christine
    Salem's Lot
    I also like The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon but I think I'm alone in this.
    The Colorado Kid
    Blockade Billy.
  • Options
    LemonhunnyLemonhunny Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under the Dome

Both big books (figuratively if you have a Kindle) and you don't want them to end, but conversely need to know what happens at the end.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Gerald's Game
    Christine
    Salem's Lot
    The Colorado Kid
    Blockade Billy.

No you arent The Girl who loved Tom Gordon is the last stephen king book I really enjoyed reading
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member

No, you're not alone - I'm a fan of this one

I'd go for Under the Dome if I was the OP - great read
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also like The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon but I think I'm .

I think it's a great story, rather atypical King in many ways, but great nonetheless.

The Stand and IT for me are his best works by quite a distance for me however.
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved 'Rose Madder', until the last 50 pages, but it is well worth a read IMO.
    Totally different to any of his other books, but still Stephen King if you know what I mean?
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm reading The Stand at the moment, it's great, all I want to do is stay home and read it but I bloody well have to come to work!!!

I really liked Under The Dome as well, a rollercoaster of a ride.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IT

I wouldn't bother with anything he wrote once he got sober though. I couldn't finish Cell :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Stand. It was the first SK book I read and although I've really enjoyed some of his others, I don't think anything will live up to the brilliance of that book. It does help to read it on a Kindle as the size of the actual book is really daunting!!

I'd also recommend 'IT' another epic read and very good. And it helps to have read 'IT' (although not essential by any means) if you plan to read '11.22.63' because there's a lovely tie in. I struggled to get into 'Under The Dome' but once I was around a third of the way through I couldn't put it down.

'Duma Key' is ok, a decent read but not his best. 'The Dead Zone' is excellent, and in a similar vein to his latest book '11.22.63' which I'm currently reading and really enjoying.

Just remembered 'Desperation' which I also really enjoyed. Quite a few people didn't like that much but I did, and I think it's the most typically 'horror' book of his that I've read so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    poppycat wrote: »

'Duma Key' is ok, a decent read but not his best.

Yep - average I would say. I'm reading it at the moment and at times it has been a real page turner and then period where it has been a few days before I've gone back to it

"Four past Midnight" I really enjoyed - made up of 4 novellas, I particularly enjoyed "The Langoliers"
  • Options
    robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would recommend the bachman books omnibus, it contains four books including my favourite ever stephen king story "the long walk"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robo2 wrote: »
    i would recommend the bachman books omnibus, it contains four books including my favourite ever stephen king story "the long walk"

I love The Long Walk too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the Long Walk right up until the end and was left thinking whaaat?????? :confused:
  • Options
    laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree with other posters - The Stand and IT are outstanding, don't be put off by the size of them. 11-22-63 is excellent too, and The Dead Zone is one of the few books that have moved me to tears. Great thread, it's encouraged me to have a crack at Under the Dome which I got for Christmas 2 years ago and haven't read yet. Shame on me!
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,112
    Forum Member
    Under the Dome....fab
  • Options
    Sinbazro_05Sinbazro_05 Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'The Stand' is great.

Avoid 'Cell', though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    'The Stand' is great.

Avoid 'Cell', though.

I thought Cell was ok but not great.

Most people seem to think that Gerald's Game and Lisey's Story are a bit ropey
  • Options
    georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reading Needful Things and enjoying it so far. If you can find a copy, Rage is excellent (it's been out of print for a while, but it's in early versions of the Bachman Books.
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tips.
    Never heard of Under the Dome - I'll take a look.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Cell was ok but not great.

Most people seem to think that Gerald's Game and Lisey's Story are a bit ropey

Lisey's Story made me want to bin it after a few chapters but after a break of several weeks, I came back to it and eventually found it to be quite gripping. The central character is annoying to the point of incitement to murder with her allegedly endearing baby talk but the story is actually rather good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rybev wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips.
    Never heard of Under the Dome - I'll take a look.

A great book I think.

People complain that there are too many characters but there is a list at the front for you to refer to if you get confused as to who is who
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lisey's Story made me want to bin it after a few chapters but after a break of several weeks, I came back to it and eventually found it to be quite gripping. The central character is annoying to the point of incitement to murder with her allegedly endearing baby talk but the story is actually rather good.

Hmm......I may give it a whirl some time !
  • Options
    pmiddspmidds Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    I love pretty much all his books, particularly The Stand and IT. However, I would also urge you to read his Dark Tower series. I put off doing this for years, but once I started they were very hard to put down. And the way that many of his non DT novels are in fact part of this universe is very well done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great book I think.

People complain that there are too many characters but there is a list at the front for you to refer to if you get confused as to who is who

I read it on my Kindle so it's not easy to flick back and forth, in fact I'm not entirely sure how you go back to the beginning and then back to where you were! The 'too many characters' issue was my main problem with the book, but once it gets to a certain point they are whittled down enough so you know who is important so it all worked out in the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    poppycat wrote: »
    I read it on my Kindle so it's not easy to flick back and forth, in fact I'm not entirely sure how you go back to the beginning and then back to where you were!

Ahh, there are still advantages to having a good old fashioned book with pages then :p