Sunday's now, Sunday's then

Comments

• Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Sundays as a child were going to church in the morning. My parents believed we should go because it was "Right and proper" but didn't go with us. Dad dropped us off in the car and mum cooked the dinner. All that experience did was turn me and my siblings into atheists! After dinner we'd go and visit various relatives and go to my grandparents for tea. Then it was some gawd-awful religious programme (Stars on Sunday??) and some costume drama after that.

I do see Sundays of the past from two angles. Though I found it a boring day as a child because I was forced to do what my family wanted to do and nothing was open, I sort of wish we had that kind of simple day of rest still. However, when I'm doing something and need B&Q I'm glad they are open Sundays.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Sundays no longer involve having to go to Sunday School or being forced to watch bloody Harry Secombe on Highway so I'm glad they're no longer the same.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do less on Sundays now than I did as a child. I would have went out for a cycle with my friends or something like that, had dinner with my Grandparents and watched Sunday evening TV (School around the corner, anyone from NI?) Now I lie around like a beached whale all day going mmm rest day! Tbh i'm just glad of a day when I don't have to go to the shops. I know they are open but I refuse to go.
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back then for us, my mother used to drag both me and my sister to church moreorless every Sunday morning(my dad didnt go, except on special occasions!!), then home, for Sunday roast dinners(my mother used to leave my dad in charge of doing the veg), then either we went to visit my grandparents or they used to come over to us for the afternoon and the usual traditional Sunday tea!! I used to either go outside to play or stay in, if it was raining, and read or have friends around or I would go and visit them, if we werent at my grandparents!! There wasnt much else to do really as, at that time, we lived out in the sticks in a small village in Surrey!!

But now its totally different, except that my parents still go to "church" now every Sunday morning, but its a different church, the local Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses, also, now that shops are open now on Sundays, we go and get shopping as well as, if need be, go to B & Q for DIY stuff!! Now that my mother is a lot older, theres hardly any Sunday roasts anymore, except maybe once a month, so its simpler meals now!! Or at times they even go out for meals!!

Over time, both me and my sister got married, so, really family life got dispersed, plus the fact that gradually all my grandparents died, so really life changed dramatically!!
  • Alpine_77Alpine_77 Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much the same as it always has been in our household - roast in the afternoon, bit of EastEnders onimbus, Super Sunday football or a lie down in the afternoon, then either have visitors in the evening on plan to visit relatives yourself and that would be it.

I do find the evenings a bit dragging and depressing these days - especially being a single guy and out of a job
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    (School around the corner, anyone from NI?)

Gahh.... if there's one reason to be thankful for places being open so you didn't have to stay in, it's the god awful, vomit inducing, so bad it would make you want to stab both your eyes out piece of garbage.

UTV missed the fundamental point that the only people who care about what 5 year olds have to say is their parents. Enduring that creepy presenter asking little Johnnie what his favorite subject was, what he thought of his teacher and if he had a girlfriend, while their doting, proud, simple parents looked on was the most ridiculous format for a show I've encountered. Thank god Sundays offer an excuse to get out and away from it now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rybev wrote: »
    Remeber when Sundays were different to any other day?

Hardly any shops open, visiting your Grandparents, a family roast dinner, maybe a board game, lark about outside with your mates, watch tv to wind down before Monday.

Admittedly I may be looking through rose-tinted childhood glasses but sometimes it just seems that Sunday is now just another day.

Your thoughts on Sundays.........

I used to love the old Sundays. Watching TV with mum and dad. Going to visit my grans, a nice big Sunday roast.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alpine_77 wrote: »
    Pretty much the same as it always has been in our household - roast in the afternoon, bit of EastEnders onimbus, Super Sunday football or a lie down in the afternoon, then either have visitors in the evening on plan to visit relatives yourself and that would be it.

I do find the evenings a bit dragging and depressing these days - especially being a single guy and out of a job

You're single?
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Gahh.... if there's one reason to be thankful for places being open so you didn't have to stay in, it's the god awful, vomit inducing, so bad it would make you want to stab both your eyes out piece of garbage.

UTV missed the fundamental point that the only people who care about what 5 year olds have to say is their parents. Enduring that creepy presenter asking little Johnnie what his favorite subject was, what he thought of his teacher and if he had a girlfriend, while their doting, proud, simple parents looked on was the most ridiculous format for a show I've encountered. Thank god Sundays offer an excuse to get out and away from it now.

LOL you really hate School Around the Corner! Remember Frank always used to visit the schools too. If they were ever in a school in my area i'd be like OMG :eek: THATS NEAR MY HOUSE! Not realising that it's Northern Ireland, every school is near my house :D

The worst part though was when they had the wee children sing and read out bits at the end. Nothing more boak making than a child with an Ulster accent who has been to elocution lessons.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    LOL you really hate School Around the Corner! Remember Frank always used to visit the schools too. If they were ever in a school in my area i'd be like OMG :eek: THATS NEAR MY HOUSE! Not realising that it's Northern Ireland, every school is near my house :D

The worst part though was when they had the wee children sing and read out bits at the end. Nothing more boak making than a child with an Ulster accent who has been to elocution lessons.

Ergghh... Yes, and the ones that did the singing, story telling or acting were always the really annoying, pretentious, spoiled with an ego twice their size, who thought, because they had a 2 minute slot on a Sunday afternoon, local TV show, that they were clearly destined for fame and stardom!

And wooly jumper Frank asking 6 year boys if they liked girls was just way too creepy for words.

That show epitomises my feelings on Sundays as they used to be
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough, my OH was just speaking on the phone to his Mum in Germany. He happened to mention that we were about to go out to the supermarket, and she was shocked that our supermarkets are open on a Sunday.

When he confirmed that yes, in the UK, supermarkets etc are open 7 days a week, she said 'then surely Sundays just feel the same as every other day', or words to that effect in German.

Kind of sad really, no Sunday feeling any more.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    great thread.....

just came back from shopping, and was navigating the stupid roundabout with about what seemed like 300 cars going round it, and i was thinking......things didnt used to be like this on Sundays! Nothing much used to happen on Sundays past. There was Last of the summer wine on tv, follwed by Songs of Praise, and that was about it. The streets were mostly empty, and back then if I walked anywhere you would be lucky to see anyone else in the street.
  • Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who has always worked shifts, I have never been a slave to convention where days of the week are concerned (or anything else, for that matter). Nor, given the numbers in supermarkets, are many others.
    It's about time shops were allowed to open as they wish on a Sunday and tell the religious nutjobs of groups like the LDOS where to go. "Peopled don't want to go shopping on Sundays" they bleat. Unless supermarkets have started employing invisible press gangs, that is demonstrably a lie.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    great thread.....

just came back from shopping, and was navigating the stupid roundabout with about what seemed like 300 cars going round it, and i was thinking......things didnt used to be like this on Sundays! Nothing much used to happen on Sundays past. There was Last of the summer wine on tv, follwed by Songs of Praise, and that was about it. The streets were mostly empty, and back then if I walked anywhere you would be lucky to see anyone else in the street.

And people look back fondly on these times? :eek:
  • gkecgkec Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    And people look back fondly on these times? :eek:

I know -- it iis a wonder everybody didn't die of boredom. I still find Sunday evening telly "conservative" the new series of Top Gear being welcome.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Sundays were split in opinion for me. I quite liked getting up early watching a few videos (there was nothing on for kids, in the morning, on tv) and then knocking for my friends and playing football/ racing on our bikes. The later part of the day was not very enjoyable as my mum would call me in for lunch ( well the roast dinner was nice) it was all downhill from there as she'd tell me to start to do my homework and then all the rubbish tv shows would come on. Then I would need to have a bath (which I hated) and wash my hair and eventually go to bed early with that feeling of dread that there was school tomorrow.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. Sundays were awful, and even worse was the thought that they were followed by school on Monday. The memory of 'Sing Something Simple' on the radio on Sunday evening can still strike terror into my heart.

Thanks for resurrecting that suppressed memory. *Shudders*
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My childhood Sunday memories are of being bored, doing homework, having to go out for a nice walk, and then sitting in a nice cosy living room with the fire lit, my dad watching Antiques Roadshow and my mum cooking giant vats of stew/casserole/soup for freezing for weekdays. The sound of Sunday to me is a cooking pot bubbling, rugby in the afternoon, and then Ski Sunday music and a classic Dickens serial and being made to go to bed because there was stupid school tomorrow.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    My childhood Sunday memories are of being bored, doing homework, having to go out for a nice walk, and then sitting in a nice cosy living room with the fire lit, my dad watching Antiques Roadshow and my mum cooking giant vats of stew/casserole/soup for freezing for weekdays. The sound of Sunday to me is a cooking pot bubbling, rugby in the afternoon, and then Ski Sunday music and a classic Dickens serial and being made to go to bed because there was stupid school tomorrow.
    The Ski Sunday music might well be the best thing about the existence of Sundays.

I like them being "just another day" these days. Nobody's being forced to do anything, if people want to stay in, read the Bible and watch crap telly they can, but people who have things to do can do them. Theoretically, everyone's happy!
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    The Ski Sunday music might well be the best thing about the existence of Sundays.

I still enjoy it now. I often make sure I catch the opening credits - I don't watch the rest of the programme, but the music makes me feel about 12 again.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Looking back, I think the old Sundays were best. Most shops shut, streets empty. Corner shops could open for limited hours (I think) and they could only sell certain items like stuff for your Sunday lunch, newspapers etc. No alcohol or roody-doody mags, thankyou.

In England, there were some weird restrictions on Sunday trading. Bibles could not be sold, nor could detergents.

Although shops in Scotland have always been permitted to open 24 hours on a Sunday, it's only relatively recently that the sale of alcohol has been relaxed on a Sunday.

My memories of Sunday tend to be around walking to Sunday School (by myself) for 10am, back home just after 11am for an apple.

My aunt, uncle and cousins would come round to ours after church for sandwiches, cake and tea. Heading away about 2pm.

Later in the afternoon would be Glen Michaels Cavalcade or every other Sunday we'd go swimming at the Provost Pool in Stirling.
  • bikeymikeyccbikeymikeycc Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    My wife and I have remained in pj/ dressing gown mode all day. She cooked a nice meal as usual and I bottled 37 pints of homebrew dark beer, stout. I did a bit of digging up spuds and now she's watching her tv detectives girly crap (lol) and I'm looking at inventors forum (instructables etc) and DS.
    I too didn't like Sundays much as a kid;love it now though.
  • rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The end music for That's Life always signaled the end of Sunday for me - as far as my Dad was concerned that meant BED!!!!!!
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only reason so many people remember Sing Something Simple was because they heard it start after Pick of the Pops finished - Fluff's show was one of the few things I used to look forward to on Sundays. By the way, if anyone wants to hear his voice on the radio again, 6Music are currently repeating the 52 part Story of Pop, which he narrates, each morning at 3 a.m.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to get my Jackie mag delivered on a Sunday, Always a roast lunch, then the big wait for the top 40 and trying to tape my favourite tunes, the DJ always used to talk ove the best ones...My one bath/hair wash of the week (:eek:) and then to dry off by the fire watching Poldark!

I never did work out why I had to have the bath/hair wash on a Sunday and the beds were ALWAYS changed on a Monday...