Cheryl Cole - A sell out?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is by no means a hate thread. I really like Cheryl's solo career. But for some reason I always find her album eras rushed. In my opinion her songs on her albums usually only contain one good single with the exception of 3 words.

The singles 3 words, the flood and under the sun are just awful! Why on earth would a record company release them? They are boring. Did they spend all the budget on singles/videos for fight for this love, promise this, and call my name?

I am also finding her book & her recent tour tour really boring. Her tour was really low budget (well it looked like it was). I have a feeling she knows her career is dying post-xfactor. If Girls Aloud don't do as well as expected - what will she fall back on? I have a feeling she has peaked now. The new GA song is not that good either. It's meant to be a comeback song. Anyone would think it's a 3rd single which has been released from an artists second album.

I hope GA's second single will be decent - but I doubt it. :(

Comments

• FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Tbh, I've loved most of Cheryl's singles so far and I'm by no means a big fan of her.
    Only exception has to be 3 words cuz that's just awful

Fight For This Love, Parachute, Promise This, The Flood, Call My Name, Under The Sun & Screw You are all decent if not good pop songs.

Plus A Million Lights has a few more potential singles like Sexy Den A Mutha, Last One Standing & A Million Lights
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only song I liked of hers was Parachute.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh, I've loved most of Cheryl's singles so far and I'm by no means a big fan of her.
    Only exception has to be 3 words cuz that's just awful

Fight For This Love, Parachute, Promise This, The Flood, Call My Name, Under The Sun & Screw You are all decent if not good pop songs.

Plus A Million Lights has a few more potential singles like Sexy Den A Mutha, Last One Standing & A Million Lights

I loved all the ones you have said (in bold). I have feeling she won't release anything else - because of GA's return.
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the impression she no longer cares for her success. I think she just does what she wants because she can and because she has tons of money.
  • wonderwall2012wonderwall2012 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    She always seems to abandon her solo career after one hit single and a mediocre follow up.

Most artists have at least 12 singles under their belt by the end of their third album, Cheryl has got like 7?

She'll need a good 5 or 6 studio albums before she has enough singles to fill up a greatest hits.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    3 Words is Cheryl's best song, and by FAR the most interesting thing she's ever done. Never heard anything like it before, and it's a very catchy song, and quite hypnotising.
  • TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    How can you be a sellout if you never had any integrity to begin with?

I mean she was born on Popstars, do you think she was ever in it for anything other than fame and money?

How naive are you?

And 3 words is her best song.
  • ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    3 Words is Cheryl's best song, and by FAR the most interesting thing she's ever done. Never heard anything like it before, and it's a very catchy song, and quite hypnotising.

100% agree.

I loathed 3 Words when I first heard it, and wrote her career off... but then it just snagged in my brain. The video debuted and I understood it better. Like you said, it's just hypnotic.

It's far from safe as well. Cheryl could have just stuck to generic to get ahead in the charts, but she took a risk with 3 Words, and it became a slow burner that paid off for her. I can't think of a song like it really.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GA have made what was needed as their comeback single - it is catchy and it has the GA sound, but made current.

Cheryl is only 29 the book is not going to be the most exciting story ever created, is it?!
    She has included what people wanted to know about her and her private life (Drugs, Arrest, Marriage, Affairs and Malaria)

Her solo work i agree was not very good but it was never going to live up to the hype that preceded it, she has done good - 2 No.1 albums, 3 No.1 Singles and solo arena tour.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She does only release two singles from one album. It's kind of like she focuses on selling the lead single and getting it to number 1 and everything else is incidental.

The new Girls Aloud song does seem to be really popular though. I think it will do really well and may even boost some of the other members solo careers.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    What's she selling then?
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if Girls Aloud weren't get backing together now then she would have released a few more single.

I suspect her record company thought she could release a couple singles and reach platinum easily, so weren't bothered GA reunion would put an end to it after the second single. I think if they knew she would struggle to sell the album then they probably would have had a longer album campaign.

I find it strange Screw You was announced as the third single and they released a lyric video for it, yet haven't done anymore. I don't even think it was sent to radio.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If GA wasn't happening, I think she would have re-released A Million Lights with a few new singles.

The tour didn't feel low budget because she played arenas and not the B/C venues like the O2 Academy's, but I'm guessing they didn't throw loads and loads of money at it because it was her first solo tour.

The Flood and Under The Sun still sold like 140,000+ singles each, so it's not all bad.
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it has more to do with how the singles chart is currently, the difficulty is also that when albums are released each track is now available separately which now means that post album release you can get whatever track you want rather than waiting for an official release date. It's not only Cheryl that has suffered from this but much of the music industry. You currently also have the Big 5 radio stations which appear to have too much control so unless you majorly suck up and kiss ass your not even put on the playlist. Interestingly also is the artists with biggest selling singles appear not to have huge album sales. Of course there are exceptions with the likes of Adele but her music is so generic that it appeals to all ages rather than having a certain genre of buyers.
    The singles industry although at an all time high is virtually worthless in its current digital format. As realistically an mp3 bought today at 89p is never going to appreciate in value but basically becomes worthless unlike vinyl or cd copies which dependent on covers release notes versions released became collectible especially when misprints happened. Record companies are desperately trying to come up with new ways to release and promote without much success.
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Dave0893 wrote: »

I find it strange Screw You was announced as the third single and they released a lyric video for it, yet haven't done anymore. I don't even think it was sent to radio.

I was going to ask what was happening with screw you have they scrapped the release
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only decent song she has ever done was her debut Fight For This Love.

She hasn't exactly sold out because she is just one of those forgettable artists that hasn't got her own stamp, she just sings songs written by other people and it's usually whatever genre is "in" at that time.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »

This, this, one hundred times this.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »

I agree. I've never seen the appeal of GA and thought Cheryl was massively overhyped by the media but I really like 3 Words. It's far and away the best thing she's done imo
  • AmazingAmazing Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madiain28 wrote: »
    I think it has more to do with how the singles chart is currently, the difficulty is also that when albums are released each track is now available separately which now means that post album release you can get whatever track you want rather than waiting for an official release date. It's not only Cheryl that has suffered from this but much of the music industry. You currently also have the Big 5 radio stations which appear to have too much control so unless you majorly suck up and kiss ass your not even put on the playlist. Interestingly also is the artists with biggest selling singles appear not to have huge album sales. Of course there are exceptions with the likes of Adele but her music is so generic that it appeals to all ages rather than having a certain genre of buyers.
    The singles industry although at an all time high is virtually worthless in its current digital format. As realistically an mp3 bought today at 89p is never going to appreciate in value but basically becomes worthless unlike vinyl or cd copies which dependent on covers release notes versions released became collectible especially when misprints happened. Record companies are desperately trying to come up with new ways to release and promote without much success.

Cheryl has never suffered from poor airplay, proving playlists aren't drawn up on the quality pf the music or talent of the voclist.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member

I mean she was born on Popstars, do you think she was ever in it for anything other than fame and money?

How naive are you?

This is exactly what I was going to say, although you have worded it better.

3 Words is her only somewhat decent pop song imo

I also don't get the hype for Fight For This Love I really think it is a dreadful song. Suprised that so many liked her debut single.
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How naive are you?

You can say the same about all 4 members of Little Mix, they were 'born' on X Factor.

You're telling me they are not 'in it for anything other than fame and money'?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Strict wrote: »
    This is by no means a hate thread. I really like Cheryl's solo career. But for some reason I always find her album eras rushed. In my opinion her songs on her albums usually only contain one good single with the exception of 3 words.

The singles 3 words, the flood and under the sun are just awful! Why on earth would a record company release them? They are boring. Did they spend all the budget on singles/videos for fight for this love, promise this, and call my name?

I am also finding her book & her recent tour tour really boring. Her tour was really low budget (well it looked like it was). I have a feeling she knows her career is dying post-xfactor. If Girls Aloud don't do as well as expected - what will she fall back on? I have a feeling she has peaked now. The new GA song is not that good either. It's meant to be a comeback song. Anyone would think it's a 3rd single which has been released from an artists second album.

I hope GA's second single will be decent - but I doubt it. :(

Cheryl a SELLOUT. Haha? That's ludicrous. You have to be an artist first. Then you get to be a sellout. Guess nobody told her about that first step.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,383
    Forum Member
    You need credibility first in order to be a sell out.

She never had any
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a sell out?... hardly, she never had anything precious to 'sell out' too... she was always a commercial venture. a 'sell out' is an artist who turns their back on musical credibility for commercial gain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not being harsh, but she didnt have any artistic merit to "sell out" with to begin with. She's always just been a commercial machine for a record company. She will churn out whatever makes money the quickest.