Options

Disappointed with Julie Hesmondhalgh

MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
Forum Member
✭✭
She has not portrayed someone dying of cancer very well at all. In order for the storyline to make sense, we should really get a sense of deterioration, and that is what is mostly lacking.

She still seems exactly like Hayley but with the occasional twinge and slightly slower movement. Even in Friday's episode, she was bellowing to Roy in another room, feisty and tough with Tracey and generally seemed totally coherent and with it.

Her voice would have deteriorated by now and she would have been much weaker and everything would be more of an effort. She has actually not really changed at all, and that has not been conducive to a realistic representation of someone so close to the end of their life.

Next to David Neilson, she is always going to come a poor second, but I feel she has not paced this well at all, and it is a shame that she will bow out on this mediocre performance.

Comments

• Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean as anyone who has witnessed a cancer death will know it can be much worse than what we are seeing on the telly in Corrie.
    I suppose she is just doing as she is told/directed in how to act the scenes out that have been written for her.
  • Options
    hallo girlhallo girl Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I think she does look weaker, and her colour at time is quite grey looking, but what we need to remember is that the whole point of the story line is that she takes control of the situation before she becomes really weak.

I did like the strawberry storyline, yes a bit extreme with the jam but I do recall standing in a queue in a shop where there were only two strawberry tarts and I wanted them for my poor mother who was in the late stages of cancer and all she wanted was a strawberry tart, I dared anybody in front of me to ask for those tarts,only to get back with them and she took a corner from one then couldn't manage the rest,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    she has always been wooden actress
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hallo girl wrote: »
    I think she does look weaker, and her colour at time is quite grey looking, but what we need to remember is that the whole point of the story line is that she takes control of the situation before she becomes really weak.

I did like the strawberry storyline, yes a bit extreme with the jam but I do recall standing in a queue in a shop where there were only two strawberry tarts and I wanted them for my poor mother who was in the late stages of cancer and all she wanted was a strawberry tart, I dared anybody in front of me to ask for those tarts,only to get back with them and she took a corner from one then couldn't manage the rest,

I bet that is a nice memory about the strawberry tarts.
    I have one about blueberries with my Dad :)
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree OP, some of it must be due to director/make up but totally unrealistic >:(
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    The whole storyline is a disappointment. The make up team have done nothing to try and help Julie out either. I mean how are you meant to look sick if your make up is the same as normal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Didn't Hayley get her nails and make up done at the salon? Maybe she hasn't washed it off..Audrey treated her and did her hair streaky..she then cut that off, but forgot to wash the makeup off
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    she has always been wooden actress

Aye she's bloody awful
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gobowen wrote: »
    Are you an actor then OP?

Unless Corrie actually employed an actress dying of cancer to play Hayley, what did you expect ??

As someone who like many on here has lost someone close to cancer, please get off your judgemental soapbox before you come across as an even bigger f***wit.

I agree.

Julie has done an excellent job imo and I have certainly seen her deterioration over the last few weeks. And as someone else has said, the whole point of this sl is that she gets to take her own decision about when to die before she is too sick, weak and drug-addled to be able to do so unaided.
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cancer affects different people in different way.

My Dear old Mum in law died from cancer (her 4th time of having it) and was feisty up until 2 days before she died at the ripe old age of 93 !
  • Options
    Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought the same thing, but it's such a hard thing to portray I should imagine.

In reality, Hayley doesn't look like she's about to die with terminal cancer. But that's no one's fault, the make-up team done the best with what little they've got I assume.

But when Carla was like "she's skin and bone" (or something like that), I thought "really?"
  • Options
    ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always differs as to how it effects people, but remember that Hayley isn't actually in her final days- she's ending her life before it gets to that stage- which is perhaps why she seems relatively strong at the moment.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    hallo girl wrote: »

..I agree with you hallo girl :) welcome to DS.

You are right that the SL is intended to end before Hayley becomes extremely poorly.

I also think that Julie Hesmandhalgh has portrayed Hayley convincingly.
    To me Roy and Hayley are a believable couple and that is as much down to Julie Hesmandhalgh as well as the excellent David Neilson.
  • Options
    peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    It must be difficult acting the part of a person dying with cancer, the reality is of course much worse than they could possibly portray as most of us on here know.
  • Options
    Holz_Holz_ Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair to Julie, she's not actually ill herself, and I think there's a limit to what makeup etc can actually do. Plus Hayley has always been one to put a strong front on everything, so is probably trying her hardest to look and act as 'well' as she can do.

I personally think Julie has been fantastic throughout this story, but each to their own.
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holz_ wrote: »
    To be fair to Julie, she's not actually ill herself, and I think there's a limit to what makeup etc can actually do. Plus Hayley has always been one to put a strong front on everything, so is probably trying her hardest to look and act as 'well' as she can do.

I personally think Julie has been fantastic throughout this story, but each to their own.

I agree with you, and think the suggestion that she's been mediocre or wooden is absurd. Some people on DS absolutely love to find fault.
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to agree with this. I mean I know she's not ill in real life but when Pat on Eastenders was dying i actually believed she was dying. Pam St Clements played it brilliantly. I just hope Hayleys final scenes are more believable and better acted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're looking at this wrong. I think they wanted to highlight cancer and how serious it is, but they wanted to focus more on a love story between Roy and Hayley. She said before she deteriorated too much she wanted to end things, which is what she now plans. This story is driven by her choices and how that effects her and roy, and long term future wise, the focus will be on how that effects roy. She doesn't need to portray someone dying of cancer, she needs to portray someone who has to make a choice on her life, and who has to accept she is dying, and who now has to say her goodbyes to everyone
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't I read in inside soap recently that Julie said the reason why Hayley would end her life early on the show was because Julie didn't feel as though she could accuratley portray someone in the end stages of life?
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sean_brom wrote: »
    I think you're looking at this wrong. I think they wanted to highlight cancer and how serious it is, but they wanted to focus more on a love story between Roy and Hayley. She said before she deteriorated too much she wanted to end things, which is what she now plans. This story is driven by her choices and how that effects her and roy, and long term future wise, the focus will be on how that effects roy. She doesn't need to portray someone dying of cancer, she needs to portray someone who has to make a choice on her life, and who has to accept she is dying, and who now has to say her goodbyes to everyone

Great post, well said, sean. :)
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't I read in inside soap recently that Julie said the reason why Hayley would end her life early on the show was because Julie didn't feel as though she could accuratley portray someone in the end stages of life?

If that's the case then shame on Julie. She's an actress she should act whatever they throw at her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cancer affects different people in different way.

My Dear old Mum in law died from cancer (her 4th time of having it) and was feisty up until 2 days before she died at the ripe old age of 93 !

I understand that it affects people differently, but surely the best portrayal would be to show a deterioration so that the average viewer can get a handle on the fact that she is on her way out and no longer enjoying any sort of quality of life.

Also, as other posters have said she is ending it before she gets to that stage, I agree, but we also need to see that things have got pretty bad for her to come to that decisio at this time. I was shocked when she said to Roy that she had to do it 'tomorrow' as she seemed as if she could still talk to him normally and spend time togther happily for a while longer. It seems like she is bowing out too soon and making the decision while she still has plenty of juice.
  • Options
    Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    You have to think though, even though she dies on Monday, if she let the cancer naturally kill her she would deteriorate more over the coming weeks, but she's killing herself before she gets to the worst of it so we won't see the worst of the worst like we would in real life.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    I understand that it affects people differently, but surely the best portrayal would be to show a deterioration so that the average viewer can get a handle on the fact that she is on her way out and no longer enjoying any sort of quality of life.

Also, as other posters have said she is ending it before she gets to that stage, I agree, but we also need to see that things have got pretty bad for her to come to that decisio at this time. I was shocked when she said to Roy that she had to do it 'tomorrow' as she seemed as if she could still talk to him normally and spend time togther happily for a while longer. It seems like she is bowing out too soon and making the decision while she still has plenty of juice.

Have you ever seen someone in the final stages of cancer? My aunt died of it and when I went to see her, it was an indescribable sight. I couldn't talk about it at all and I certainly don't want to see that on tv. I think the way they are proceeding is probably the best way to handle it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holz_ wrote: »

I don't really care that she may not look as ill as she might, it is the acting that should be better. The strong front is there, but how effective would it be if she came across as being strong whilst being obviously weak and deteriorating? As it is, she's coming across as pretty normal.