Options

1980s missing pedo dossier

Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
Forum Member
More I hear of this, am
Pretty sure it was right at top of Thatcher government or even somebody close to her
Which is why the name won't or maybe for legal reasons can't be revealed they are probably not still around either, so unlikely to be revealed now, might be few very worried 1980s veteran cabinet ministers though :o

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28141531

Comments

• Options
    The PhazerThe Phazer Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Very interesting story on Popbitch about this this week.

Given Popbitch named Harris and Saville as abusers more than a decade ago.
  • Options
    AllyourKittyAllyourKitty Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the hoopleheads are about to work themselves into another frenzy about some dossier which may or may not have contained allegations about an unknown number of people.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I see the hoopleheads are about to work themselves into another frenzy about some dossier which may or may not have contained allegations about an unknown number of people.
    "Hoopleheads"? I had to Google that and I see it is from the Deadwood TV show. Never seen the show, though.

The linked BBC story makes it clear that Home Office had found a letter from Lord Brittan that relates to the allegations that were contained in the dossier, so why do you say "may or may not have contained allegations"?

Whether all the allegations were valid is another matter, but the disappearance of the dossier makes the whole thing look very suspect.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What we are seeing is just a further manifestation of the fact that the rich and powerful - politics, entertainment, sport, business, medicine, law etc can use their position to exert undue influence in many areas, and thereby conspire to conceal crimes.

The way of the world, people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What we are seeing is just a further manifestation of the fact that the rich and powerful - politics, entertainment, sport, business, medicine, law etc can use their position to exert undue influence in many areas, and thereby conspire to conceal crimes.

The way of the world, people.
    I think you are right, gemma-the-husky.

Much as I hate to believe it, I think more and more that there is one law for them and another for the rest of us.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    The linked BBC story makes it clear that Home Office had found a letter from Lord Brittan that relates to the allegations that were contained in the dossier, so why do you say "may or may not have contained allegations"?

Whether all the allegations were valid is another matter, but the disappearance of the dossier makes the whole thing look very suspect.

........and then this suddenly appears on the BBC news.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28181045

It does seem as though investigators, police and journalists are skirting around something waiting for the lid to blow off before they all pile in......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Hoopleheads"? I had to Google that and I see it is from the Deadwood TV show. Never seen the show, though.

What are the allegations? Unknown.

By and against whom? Unknown.

Was the dossier misplaced or lost deliberately? Unknown.

Who misplaced or discarded it? Unknown.

All those unknowns are like a red rag to a bull for every paedo obsessed conspiracy loving fruit cake in this country to start banging away at their keyboard, frantically hammering out every outlandish notion their fevered mind can concoct.

If a crime has been committed it should be investigated by police and charges can be brought, has a crime been committed? Oh wait I will answer that, unknown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What are the allegations? Unknown.
    We do know that they relate to allegations of paedophilia.
    By and against whom? Unknown.
    Senior politicians and others in positions of power. Sounds quite interesting to me.
    Was the dossier misplaced or lost deliberately? Unknown.
    This is the crux of the story.
    Who misplaced or discarded it? Unknown.
    Again, this is the crux of the story.
    All those unknowns are like a red rag to a bull for every paedo obsessed conspiracy loving fruit cake in this country to start banging away at their keyboard, frantically hammering out every outlandish notion their fevered mind can concoct.
    Why would you care? Read it if it interests you. Ignore it if it doesn't.
    If a crime has been committed it should be investigated by police and charges can be brought, has a crime been committed? Oh wait I will answer that, unknown.
    You seem to be missing the point. The fact of the matter is that crimes may have been committed by very powerful people, but their powerful positions meant that the crimes were not properly investigated and charges were not made. Not entirely without precedent.

I don't understand why this seems to bother you so much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Given that this has been published on the website of a popular UK newspaper, I hope that it's not in breach of Digital Spy rules.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2681909/Leon-Brittan-quizzed-teen-rape-claim-Ex-Home-Secretary-accused-attacking-student-flat.html#ixzz36fbxQjsd
  • Options
    Forum Member
    See Gove not going to open a public inquiry into it, no shit Sherlock, as if he is going to open a inquiry into a dossier that went "missing" under a Tory led government which would be very damaging to GE in about 10 months time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know my history and this sort of rampant public hysteria, speculation and denunciation never ends well. A great many innocent people over the course of human history have suffered due to the culture we are feeding now.

I never thought I would see a situation in this country where we have a form of sexual abuse based McCarthyism.

An uncorroborated sexual accusation from 30, 40 , 50 years ago sufficient to convict, the mere accusation of sexual offence enough to start gossip and a lingering suspicion of guilt.

It will burn itself out eventually but how many lives and reputations will be ruined or unjust convictions made before that happens? How many would be an acceptable price to pay?

There used to be a maxim of justice that better 100 guilty men go free than one innocent man convicted for a crime they did not commit, I don't think that maxim holds true anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know my history and this sort of rampant public hysteria, speculation and denunciation never ends well. A great many innocent people over the course of human history have suffered due to the culture we are feeding now.

I never thought I would see a situation in this country where we have a form of sexual abuse based McCarthyism.

An uncorroborated sexual accusation from 30, 40 , 50 years ago sufficient to convict, the mere accusation of sexual offence enough to start gossip and a lingering suspicion of guilt.

It will burn itself out eventually but how many lives and reputations will be ruined or unjust convictions made before that happens? How many would be an acceptable price to pay?

There used to be a maxim of justice that better 100 guilty men go free than one innocent man convicted for a crime they did not commit, I don't think that maxim holds true anymore.
    All fair points, but you have not addressed the fact that people in positions of power may be somehow responsible for allowing others to get away with heinous crimes in the past.

What would you like to happen now? Ask everyone not to rock the boat and to just accept that powerful people got away with such crimes in the past?
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All fair points, but you have not addressed the fact that people in positions of power may be somehow responsible for allowing others to get away with heinous crimes in the past.

What would you like to happen now? Ask everyone not to rock the boat and to just accept that powerful people got away with such crimes in the past?

I have always said that since Savile. There had to be people highr up covering for him and they were involved in it as well. However I expect a few more old celebs will be thrown to the lions and the MP's and Police Chiefs will be getting away scott free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some of names being thrown about are unbelievable, no wonder Gove is refusing a public inquiry :o

This is two years old but is believed to be at centre of scandal, and as no names are involved it shouldnt breech ds lposting laws

http://spotlightonabuse.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/elm-guest-house-the-start-of-the-cover-up/
  • Options
    speeddial43speeddial43 Posts: 229
    Forum Member

Surprised you not calling people left-wing loons or something similar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28182373

114 potential files going missing, by whom and why.

Were these missing files in one folder, or was someone picking them up as they came in.

Whatever the case, whatever side of the political fence your on, if someone has been using the tools of the state to cover their/they're tracks it needs to be disclosed.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Surprised you not calling people left-wing loons or something similar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28182373

114 potential files going missing, by whom and why.

Were these missing files in one folder, or was someone picking them up as they came in.

Whatever the case, whatever side of the political fence your on, if someone has been using the tools of the state to cover their/they're tracks it needs to be disclosed.

There is of course no left or right about it - this potentially affects all three main parties. Cyril Smith was a Labour party member until the late 1960s - for example.
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Some of names being thrown about are unbelievable, no wonder Gove is refusing a public inquiry :o

This is two years old but is believed to be at centre of scandal, and as no names are involved it shouldnt breech ds lposting laws

http://spotlightonabuse.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/elm-guest-house-the-start-of-the-cover-up/

I have seen allegations on the internet about a Prime Minister who never married.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all the current paedo mania about I do sometimes wonder what we are really being distracted from
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    With all the current paedo mania about I do sometimes wonder what we are really being distracted from

The undetected inter-stellar invasion force of Lizard royals.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    The undetected inter-stellar invasion force of Lizard royals.

Nothing would surprise me :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »

Passports, education, trojan horses, healthcare, leadership in fighting, a. n. other?
  • Options
    nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    There is of course no left or right about it - this potentially affects all three main parties. Cyril Smith was a Labour party member until the late 1960s - for example.

Its not about party politics, its far beyond that... if this has gone on then something should be done. If they've done nowt wrong why are they avoiding an inquiry... why are the likes of Tebbit suddenly crawling out from their rocks to talk on the matter

Celebrities and Personalities is one thing, we're talking about the people that are supposed to be running the country
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    We do know that they relate to allegations of paedophilia.

Senior politicians and others in positions of power. Sounds quite interesting to me.

This is the crux of the story.

Again, this is the crux of the story.

Why would you care? Read it if it interests you. Ignore it if it doesn't.

You seem to be missing the point. The fact of the matter is that crimes may have been committed by very powerful people, but their powerful positions meant that the crimes were not properly investigated and charges were not made. Not entirely without precedent.

I think the point is that this can all run away quickly and we just get to the pitchfork and burning torch brigade

rumours speculation and innuendo are not evidence

much like the bandwagon jumpers after savile and harris
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect that dossier went in the shredder faster than you can say pedo-file.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC news reporting as many as 14 minsters from
    84/89 could be involved , names (which they obviously can't reveal ) have been leaked to BBC
    Try as he might I don't think dave can ignore this one , even though am sure he like to