Options

Your views regarding hugging, kissing and personal space.

TranscendentalTranscendental Posts: 124
Forum Member
After seeing Chris ask Emma for a kiss on launch night, and after seeing him hug Ashleigh the other night, it’s got me thinking about how attitudes towards hugging, kissing and personal space vary. I don’t mean between people in relationships.

Here are my views:

Hugging - I’d only hug someone if they were very unhappy. I remember hugging my friend when he told me his girlfriend had died.

Kissing - I’ve only ever kissed men I’ve had relationships with. If Chris had put me in the position that he put Emma in, I’d have said no. I thought it was rude of him to ask her.

Comments

• Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    For me it depends on the circle I am with. There are many dozens of men I automatically kiss on both cheeks ( one at a time of course) when I meet or part from them. Getting out of a dance hall at the end of an evening takes an age because everyone has to be kissed.

In other environments I wouldn't dream of it.

Regarding Emma and Chris I don't find it strange. Both are in show biz which is a very kissy industry. An actor not kissing a TV presenter would be more remarkable I think
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    There's far too much of it in Big Brother. I couldn't be doing with that at all.
  • Options
    JavedJaved Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    After seeing Chris ask Emma for a kiss on launch night, and after seeing him hug Ashleigh the other night, it’s got me thinking about how attitudes towards hugging, kissing and personal space vary. I don’t mean between people in relationships.

Here are my views:

Hugging - I’d only hug someone if they were very unhappy. I remember hugging my friend when he told me his girlfriend had died.

Kissing - I’ve only ever kissed men I’ve had relationships with. If Chris had put me in the position that he put Emma in, I’d have said no. I thought it was rude of him to ask her.

I thought it was Marlon who asked for a kiss?!
  • Options
    Angie_PlastyAngie_Plasty Posts: 6,333
    Forum Member
    Javed wrote: »
    I thought it was Marlon who asked for a kiss?!

I'd forgotten about it till the OP mentioned it and just went back and checked. It was Chris. To use Judi James words, he "engineered" a kiss from Emma. It was a tad "creepy" too.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I'm a hugger but only to closeish friends and my family. I do love a good hug.

I suppose they have all grown close in the house - it does look OTT with all the hugging going on but I think it's fairly natural and unforced.

The world would be a better place if we hugged more I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a 'hugger' too, I see them as just expressions of friendliness, and I would often hug people goodbye even when I don't know them particularly well, as long as it's appropriate of course! But I don't kiss cheeks, like ever, except for my five year old niece. She gets a hug and a kiss. :)
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only hugs I genuinely give and receive with the same feeling were from my children and now my grandchildren..I find other hugs slightly thought about and not spontaneous.
  • Options
    Oracles_eyeOracles_eye Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd hug anyone, I'd kiss in a non sexual way anyone.

I hug all my mates, I randomly give then a kiss on the cheek during sometimes.

I tell everyone I love them if I care about them.

Am I not normal?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Am I not normal?

You're affectionate. It's a good thing! :D
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Am I not normal?

You are normal, but, I kiss cheeks readily, give a quick hug readily.....but real hugs and kisses are only given and received when the feeling of love is reciprocated...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I participate in symbolic hugging and kissing when it is required.

If it was up to me it would be a lot less and with people I feel closer to after long separation.

But when in Rome...
  • Options
    LongbowLongbow Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I'd forgotten about it till the OP mentioned it and just went back and checked. It was Chris. To use Judi James words, he "engineered" a kiss from Emma. It was a tad "creepy" too.

:D I suppose according to Judi I'm an expert at engineering glasses of water from waiters. I suppose teacher's engineer kids to do homework too, my mum engineered me opening a jar of garlic for her recently too... :cool: sly, very sly of you mum!
  • Options
    bitebugbitebug Posts: 3,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hug - I'm a hugbug. I hug friends male or female to greet/farewell/console

Kiss - greet/farewell kiss

Passionate Hug and Kiss (relationships only)
  • Options
    ElvispartacusElvispartacus Posts: 1,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Longbow wrote: »
    :D I suppose according to Judi I'm an expert at engineering glasses of water from waiters. I suppose teacher's engineer kids to do homework too, my mum engineered me opening a jar of garlic for her recently too... :cool: sly, very sly of you mum!

I guess your not conformable with the word engineer /ing /ed

try exploit, control, influence, use/turn to one's advantage, manoeuvre, steer, direct, guide, twist round one's little finger, work, orchestrate, choreograph

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess your not conformable with the word engineer /ing /ed

try exploit, control, influence, use/turn to one's advantage, manoeuvre, steer, direct, guide, twist round one's little finger, work, orchestrate, choreograph

:D:D:D:D

I'm not very comfortable with the phrase "conformable with".
  • Options
    jp761jp761 Posts: 33,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Am I not normal?
    Ah i'm the same i'll hug anyone who can't run faster than me too :D:D

Joking of course I don't chase people like that lol :D
  • Options
    HonestLeeHonestLee Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Am I not normal?

Me too, especially mates that hate tactility hehe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Am I not normal?

Lots of E?