Wimbledon sound problems on HD channels

2»

Comments

• Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Some programmes i.e. Wimbledon have 5.1 surround sound, which will sound quieter than stereo. You can change to the stereo audio description track if you can't get it loud enough.
    That's not right 5.1 should always sound louder. Don't really like Tennis so can't comment on the wimbledon coverage but if something is in 5.1 on any HD channel it is always louder.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5.1 shouldn't always be louder at all. If you have a 5.1 setup then it might be louder because there's stuff in the rear channels as well as the front, but when down-mixing to 2.0, it should be done so that the overall level is the same as it was in 5.1 (normalised downmix matrix). However, as most 5.1 soundtracks have quieter rear channels than front channels or stereo mixes (on average), when downmixed the overall level will be lower than a 2.0 soundtrack on most systems.

Again though, it depends on how your TV or receiver does things.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    5.1 shouldn't always be louder at all. If you have a 5.1 setup then it might be louder because there's stuff in the rear channels as well as the front, but when down-mixing to 2.0, it should be done so that the overall level is the same as it was in 5.1 (normalised downmix matrix). However, as most 5.1 soundtracks have quieter rear channels than front channels or stereo mixes (on average), when downmixed the overall level will be lower than a 2.0 soundtrack on most systems.

Again though, it depends on how your TV or receiver does things.
    I am sorry but that is wrong. On most 5.1 set ups 5.1 will always be louder for starters the bass should be a whole lot punchier. If it is not I would suggest there is something wrong with your set up.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have not noticed any 'sound'

I find the sound superior in HD, as opposed to SD (on Sky)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not noticed any 'sound'

I find the sound superior in HD, as opposed to SD (on Sky)

Apart from what must have been a fault last night, the other problem does not seem to be as bad as it used be where often the volume was so low that the programme could hardly be followed. Channel 4 was worst, mainly because there was a huge difference between programme volume and that during the adverts. With the volume wound up to maximum there was a danger of damage to the loudspeakers when the adverts came on and if no damage then it would at least disturb neighbours.