Options

Ronnie - One of the greatest characters in EE history

Comments

• Options
    sarahcadhillsarahcadhill Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chrissie Watts will always be a superior character than Ronnie IMO but Ronnie's certainly going to leave an impact when she leaves in future.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here. She's also fascinating to watch.

I also think it says a lot about Sam's skill as an actress in being able to make a character that is potentially psychopathic likeable. The baby swap should have ruined this character but they have managed to come back from it and make her as you say, even more fascinating that before.
    Chrissie Watts will always be a superior character than Ronnie IMO but Ronnie's certainly going to leave an impact when she leaves in future.

No need to be insecure. Chrissie has nothing to do with this thread or Ronnie. Two very different characters. Ronnie is part of the most complained about storyline in TV history. Her legacy is secure.
  • Options
    sarahcadhillsarahcadhill Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but Ronnie seems to be another Chrissie version but with differences. Just my opinion of course :). Sam Womack is one of EE's best actresses ever for sure. Maybe I shouldn't compare her with Chrissie.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but Ronnie seems to be another Chrissie version but with differences. Just my opinion of course :). Sam Womack is one of EE's best actresses ever for sure. Maybe I shouldn't compare her with Chrissie.

They are nothing alike. We also never learned a thing about Chrissie past or upbringing. Chrissie wasn't psychopathic nor was she a control freak. Chrissie was just caught in a situation where she had to save her own ass. That's all. Chrissie was also only there for a year and that's it. I'm not downplaying Chrissie as I loved her but I doubt any of the casual viewers even remember who she is. Ronnie has been developed over a period of almost 8 years now while also being played by an actress who was a household name prior to joining.

There is no comparison to make.
  • Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate her so much. Kill her off
  • Options
    jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    I've always hated Ronnie especially when she kidnapped Tommy and made Kat and Alfie think tommy was dead.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Ronnie she's a brilliant character with different layers to her, hope she develops into the dark one! hope she stays! :)
  • Options
    Rose-AddictRose-Addict Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely agree - my ultimate favourite EE character!
  • Options
    SMIDSYmk2SMIDSYmk2 Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    They are nothing alike. We also never learned a thing about Chrissie past or upbringing. Chrissie wasn't psychopathic nor was she a control freak. Chrissie was just caught in a situation where she had to save her own ass. That's all. Chrissie was also only there for a year and that's it. I'm not downplaying Chrissie as I loved her but I doubt any of the casual viewers even remember who she is. Ronnie has been developed over a period of almost 8 years now while also being played by an actress who was a household name prior to joining.

There is no comparison to make.

Why do is matter how long they were in the show for? Dannille was in it for the even less and is still remembered. Den and Angie were together on the show for less than 5 years and both are thoughtve as being 2 of the most well known and remembered characters in soap history.
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    A mentally disturbed child kidnapper and a cold blooded murderer. Everyone's favourite character. I wish other people had my standards of decency. I am terrified when I see her around children. No one is safe. Makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mo mouse wrote: »
    A mentally disturbed child kidnapper and a cold blooded murderer. Everyone's favourite character. I wish other people had my standards of decency. I am terrified when I see her around children. No one is safe. Makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach.

To be fair, she is a good actress!
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    I think she's going to grow unhealthily attached to Lola and its going to be a big storyline in the coming months

I reckon you could be right. The way she didn't say anything in the hospital when she was referred to as "Mum". She then looked at Lola in quite a creepy way. Samantha Womack is an amazing actress. She brings feelings to her scenes with facial expressions and her body language.
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cuddly_Cat wrote: »
    I reckon you could be right. The way she didn't say anything in the hospital when she was referred to as "Mum". She then looked at Lola in quite a creepy way. Samantha Womack is an amazing actress. She brings feelings to her scenes with facial expressions and her body language.

It does look possible yes, she's definitely looking for somebody to fill the void left behind from losing all her children. I think in all seriousness that Ronnie needs help, the ways she looked at the picture of Danielle as a baby in her locket proves that she's not evil and she's not cold or emotionless, she's very disturbed. I do feel sympathy for Ronnie, but that doesn't mean I excuse or condone her actions, but I do think that she needs some kind of psychiatric help. I think that although people say she's like Archie there are differences, Archie liked to play mind games and manipulate people because he enjoyed the power and was a sadist, Ronnie has started to control Roxy and perhaps Danielle because of the loss of her children. Very few people are truly evil to the core, but people like Archie and Trevor are perhaps the closest you can get to truly despicable human beings, I wouldn't put Ronnie in that league of nastiness.
  • Options
    Cosmic GiftedCosmic Gifted Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not keen on her, they had a real chance when she came back out of prison to bring her back to the character she was originally when she and Roxy turned up. Instead they turned her into an unhinged murderer.
  • Options
    TorchwoodBoyTorchwoodBoy Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As THE ultimate Ronnie fan (and you can fight me for that title, but I'll win, I bite and everything) you can obviously understand my love for her.

She's a character with so many layers, she can be tough and hard as nails when she wants to be, but she also has a vulnerability to her that not many can get too, and yet when they do it shows you how deeply floored her character is.

I think I fell in love with Ronnie because when she arrived she was really nice and caring, but she had an edge that made her tough and cold.

And I loved to find out how and why, cause when she first arrived none of us knew about Archie or what he had done, (except Peggy's slight reference that they were Archie's girls). But we could see what her character was like, and then we got the reasons why she was like she was as the years went by.

I think Ronnie will be remembered as possibly the most complex character of all time, and certainly one of the toughest.

The Ron-ster Rocks!
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Baby obsessed, moping over Danielle and stay away from my sistah' Ronnie, is depressing to watch. Creepy 'car bonnet' Ronnie, is great to watch please can we have more of Ronnie and her car bonnet :D
  • Options
    liliroselilirose Posts: 10,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I adore Ronnie. She is my favourite character ever. If I am honest I have second thoughts about the "evil" Ronnie route and I am not 100% keen on it. But when they balance it with episodes like Friday's, to remind viewers of the damaged woman that Ronnie is, I like this new Ronnie.
    I hope they will be careful with how they write her though and keep the right balance between unhinged Ronnie who is capable of murder and damaged non-evil Ronnie.
    I would be more interested for them to explore Lola Ronnie going down the route of Ronnie seeing her as a Danielle substitute and relax a bit the controlling relationship with Roxy. Only because the latter dynamic is repetitive as we have seen it to various degrees over the years. Ronnie's obsession with Lola however is something really new and very interesting to see.

Credit to Sam Womack for making this character so compelling to watch and show all the layers of the character with very little dialogue.
  • Options
    tweeeed_xtweeeed_x Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ronnie will always be my favourite character, and Sam, my favourite actress. I have a lot to thank the both of them for - (honestly).

I believe that Ronnie is one of, if not THE, most complex characters the show has ever had, that is what has always drawn me to her.

At first, I was not entirely sure about this villain direction, but came round to the idea and was accepting of it. It sounded good on paper, but it's just not playing out as well as it could, IMO.

I've been expecting, as DTC promised, the creation of a true villain; however, the villainy has been somewhat pantomime-esque and the writing for the character is just not what it was 2007-2011. Disappointing, although I think a lot of it is down to the fact that the show is just not the same as it was in that era.

I do not think that Ronnie will be in the show for much longer. If I am correct, then I hope that DTC steps up his game for Ronnie (considering she's regarded as one of his babies) and gives the character the final few storylines that she deserves, leading to an exit that can only be given to a character of her status.
  • Options
    CriticFanCriticFan Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated her stint during the baby swap. That was when i first started watching eastenders back in 2011 so i had nothing to compare her to. She just seemee so dull and miserable whereas now she is one of the best characters on the street when given good scripts.
  • Options
    iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    Ronnie's a much higher rated character than Chrissie...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    I cant say Ronnie is my favourite character but I have to say she is much better now than in previous stints. I couldn't stand the character then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the scene when Ronnie told Kat and Alfie that they were being evicted from The Vic in December 2013 when I felt that EastEnders was starting to get good again, her cold and ruthless way of dealing with them was the first time we saw the "new" Ronnie.

"They're nice lights", I loved that line as she walked out of Alfie and Kat's (then) living room. Plus she made Alfie squirm which is a bonus.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O02Kfd5cptQ
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ronnie is in my greatest Top 10 EE characters with legends like Den, Grant, Frank, Kathy and Ian.

My favourite Ronnie time was 2007-2009. 2010 was OK. 2011 withthe bbaby swap was tough watching at times until towards the end of teh storyline.

2013 was hit and miss - it seemed Newman wanted her back for Jack's sloppy exit and then didn't know what to do with her.

I am not sure I agree entirely with DTC's route yet but he'll understand the character more than most and wouldn't so anything to damage the character anymore.
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    Does anybody feel as though as she should have a baby? She deserves some happiness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody feel as though as she should have a baby? She deserves some happiness.

Yep if anyone does it's Ronnie and this time I hope it stays alive. Ronnie is one female character on the show I'd like to see become pregnant.