Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny Baker is radio Gold
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's because I prefer Alex as a co host,
    Now I'm the total opposite.
    Don't know why but I can't listen to Teletext Alex, don't know if its his voice or just how he comes across on air, but I can't listen when he's on.
    I'm sure he's a lovely bloke in real life :D
  • JG1970JG1970 Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a copy of Danny Baker's podcast from 28th June 2014 or know where I can listen to the podcast?
  • fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if only he could get back to doing a show like he did on bbc london.not a great fan of the radio 5 show.
  • radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris983 wrote: »
    Never heard his show on 5 live but have tuned in the last two weeks and really enjoy it! Anyone else listen?

It's bloody awful. Spitting Image were right with their caricature - 'cheeky banta cheeky banta etc etc'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abw wrote: »

Thank you so much abw !!
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Danny Baker is a good broadcaster. I think that it would be a good idea for him to replace Mark Forest as presenter of the 7.pm to 10.pm slot on BBC Local Radio.
  • radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Baker is a good broadcaster. I think that it would be a good idea for him to replace Mark Forest as presenter of the 7.pm to 10.pm slot on BBC Local Radio.

"Cheeky banta, cheeky banta, i'm ah cheeky cock-knee, doin' the Lambeth walk, oi, 'eres Madness, cheeky banta!"
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Cheeky banta, cheeky banta, i'm ah cheeky cock-knee, doin' the Lambeth walk, oi, 'eres Madness, cheeky banta!"

I think you may have been listening to Johnny Vaughan by mistake. Danny Baker's more likely to reference P.G. Wodehouse and obscure 1970s rock.
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe he needs to listen with his ears not his eyes
  • ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Baker's not to everyone's taste - I think he's the Last Radio Genius - but that's as absurd as characterising Ken Bruce as saying Och Aye the Noo all the time, coming to work in a kilt with a set of bagpipes under his arm and playing Andy Stewart.

There's so much more to Baker than that lazy tabloid caricature, in terms of style, inventiveness, breadth of knowledge and music played. He should have some sort of regular show on Radio Two by now.
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Posted by someone who obviously never listens to Danny Baker.
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posted by someone who obviously never listens to Danny Baker.
    Yes.

Been listening to Baker for 25 years, and he is never less than witty and insightful.

As to being Cockney, well, he wears his South East London colours with pride, so he could only be accused of it by someone who doesnt know their East from South.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember reading Viz comic in the 90s.

There was a character called Cockney W*****r, who had an appearance similar to the comedian Mike Reid.

Didn't he have a brother called Danny W*****r who bore a resemblance to Mr Baker?
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Baker's not to everyone's taste - I think he's the Last Radio Genius - ... He should have some sort of regular show on Radio Two by now.

I agree about the radio genius thing, and that he's not to everyone's taste. But then I'd say that's precisely why we have the BBC and why they are better than commercial stations. The BBC is there to provide things that are perhaps more niche interest (although I think DB is more than that), and not have to keep descending to the 'vanilla' output of other stations. DB should definitely be back on radio with his BBC London-style show. I miss it so much,
  • Walt HamWalt Ham Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Baker is one of the true radio greats but maybe Radio 2 wouldn't be the best place - he'd not play enough music and that would annoy the hell out of some people. Mind you excessive talk never did Moyles any harm on Radio 1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a copy of Danny Baker's podcast featuring Michael Palin from 6th September 2014 or know where I can listen to the podcast?
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baker's humour isn't really to my taste and he's been arrogant beyond belief at various points of his career, but I appreciate he was trying to do something different, especially in his old BBC London show, which I did listen to a fair bit.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Five Live on a Saturday morning as a whole. Tony on Breakfast, then Danny, then Fighting Talk.

Now, that would be a good shout.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,509
    Forum Member
    moordown66 wrote: »
    Always mustard for me.No sauce at all.

Me too, surprised no-one ever says mustard.
  • Paul_HayesPaul_Hayes Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    Me too, surprised no-one ever says mustard.

They have done on occasion. I think it gets chalked up under "no sauce at all".
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the fact that a BBC network in 2014 can put out a show which is so loose and (apparently) prepared on the tube on Danny's way in.

I almost wish they'd sign up Nick Abbot and give him the same kind of freedom.
  • KOP1975KOP1975 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris983 wrote: »
    Never heard his show on 5 live but have tuned in the last two weeks and really enjoy it! Anyone else listen?

Download the podcast and listen on a Monday on way too work. Love it.