Options

What happens to your internet accounts when you pass away!

mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
Forum Member
Just wondered when you die, sorry for being morbid, but what happens to all your internet stuff. Will your facebook account/ all accounts be shut down after they are not used in a while and will you continue to get emails,etc.
I'll have to take my tablet with me when i go just incase !

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    They will stay open in case you ever come back to life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They will stay open in case you ever come back to life.

Thats reasuring , when i get reincarnated !
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a whole load of canned, asinine and annoying responses queued up. When I'm gone you're all going to suffer :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    They remain active unless someone reports the deceased person to the relevant company for their account to the be shut down or memorialised...
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,314
    Forum Member
    Someone will try to access them and then they will get a call with your voice saying "Seven Days"
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Much March wrote: »
    They remain active unless someone reports the deceased person to the relevant company for their account to the be shut down or memorialised...

Not necessarily.

Some of the online accounts may get automatically deleted after a set period of time, due to owner inactivity, i.e. having not been accessed. Anyway, nobody should be able to modify these accounts, unless you've left a list of passwords lying around.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Just wondered when you die, sorry for being morbid, but what happens to all your internet stuff. Will your facebook account/ all accounts be shut down after they are not used in a while and will you continue to get emails,etc.

Statistically there'll be several million deceased Facebook users, maybe 30 million, I don't expect many of those accounts will have family members going through the procedures to delete them so they'll remain in place.
    DS is getting long in the tooth now it'll have its own set of dead users, no one would know if I popped my clogs on DS, except perhaps some people might think I was making more sense than usual..
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amount of dick jokes being made on Facebook drops dramatically.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    Statistically there'll be several million deceased Facebook users, maybe 30 million, I don't expect many of those accounts will have family members going through the procedures to delete them so they'll remain in place.

Most of the now-deceased people I've known of with social media accounts seem to have had family members take over. The larger sites have set policies about how to go about it if they haven't already shared passwords, e.g.

https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/398036060275245
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    They become the property of Ancestry.co.uk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes facebook accounts become tribute pages, and people may pop in for years to put a birthday message or some such. I find it a bit forlorn though on the whole. I had a friend who died some years ago, and her birthday pops up once a year to remind me on facebook; if I go to her site, which I have done a couple of times, the last status update is, and always will be, "Have to go into hospital tomorrow for tests."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    DS is getting long in the tooth now it'll have its own set of dead users, no one would know if I popped my clogs on DS, except perhaps some people might think I was making more sense than usual..

I'd miss you! Yeah people could continue your accounts if they know all your passwords. Think I'll leave them somewhere
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can now choose what happens to your Google accounts when you've been 'inactive' for a certain period of time.

Facebook pages can become memorials at the request of a verified family member.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll just sit there gathering dust, presumably. I wouldn't want anyone to take over any of my accounts, and I don't see any reason why they would. No one knows my passwords for any of my accounts online so I'd hope my loved ones wouldn't attempt to get access to them. I think it's nice when accounts are left open and people post messages etc, especially on birthdays or even if they're just really missing the person, but I don't think anyone else should take over the account.
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a good thread, something to think about.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Most of the now-deceased people I've known of with social media accounts seem to have had family members take over. The larger sites have set policies about how to go about it if they haven't already shared passwords, e.g.

https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/398036060275245

Better remove the Facebook account then.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I often wondered this with what happens to your account stuff like facebook, twitter, email I can imagine they stay open unless a family memeber contacts the company to tell them to shut it down
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    I have a LinkedIn friend who is dead. Weird when his picture crops up...
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously I'm not dead (or am I ??????) but I do sometimes wonder about all the web sites I've registered with over the last 15 years or so and whether I've still got an account gathering dust somewhere on their client database or whether it's been deactivated after years of inactivity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »

When my father died I managed to access some of his internet accounts and I closed them myself. With Amazon, I sent them an email telling them my father had passed away and I wished for his account to be closed, I also let them know that I was an Amazon customer as well. Within a couple of minutes of me sending the email to Amazon, one of their reps called my mum's house, to confirm that the email was genuine. The rep stated that he got our telephone number from both my account and my father's account. Once we confirmed the email was genuine my father's account was deleted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Imagine all the spam emails you will have accredited !!