Options

LW Radio Atlantic 252

Comments

• Options
    Rodney CollinsRodney Collins Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And remember Travis Baxter's number two was John Catlett, who had previously worked at Laser.
  • Options
    Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Travis Baxter involved with DevonAir in its early days or is my memory playing tricks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    Was Travis Baxter involved with DevonAir in its early days or is my memory playing tricks?

Well Maurice Vass was MD of DevonAir before he went to Centre in Leicester so very probably he worked with Travis there, yes. Centre closed quite soon after Vass joined RTL.
  • Options
    Peter HendersonPeter Henderson Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, whoever was involved made a big mistake changing the format on Atlantic to dance.

If I remember correctly it had more listeners than Virgin which was struggling to compete in those days.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    One thing I don't understand is if commercial ILRs began to copy Atlantic due to its success, what were they doing beforehand, in the late 80's and earlier, did they not then have almost wall to wall chart music as they do now, was the fact that many stations are like this now down to Atlantic's influence? Whenever I tuned into City in the early 90's it was hits, hits & more hits with some football thrown in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, whoever was involved made a big mistake changing the format on Atlantic to dance.

If I remember correctly it had more listeners than Virgin which was struggling to compete in those days.

Yes, at one point audiences were huge, so were the profits...
  • Options
    Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    I think Atlantic 252 reached its peak in 1994/1995. I was hooked on the station back then.
  • Options
    ErwinErwin Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I think that internet tribute station must only play music from the top period from Atlantic, not the danceradio period.
  • Options
    Murray MintMurray Mint Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    I remember tuning into Atlantic 252 sometime during 1999. Having not listened to the station for about 4 years, I was surprised at how much it had changed. It sounded like Kiss 100!

I therefore decided not to listen to Atlantic anymore because I could hear the same kind of format on crystal-clear FM stations like Kiss 100 and Capital 95.8.
  • Options
    tellyadicttellyadict Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to listern back in the early 90s as I had a radio without FM.

Used to play a wide range of songs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I don't understand is if commercial ILRs began to copy Atlantic due to its success, what were they doing beforehand, in the late 80's and earlier, did they not then have almost wall to wall chart music as they do now

IIRC many ILR's played a lot of oldies in those days. Earlier in the 80's you'd even hear 60's hits alongside chart hits on ILR's. That's very rare outside of groups like Lincs in this day and age. Perhaps it was because most hadn't split frequencies yet.
    was the fact that many stations are like this now down to Atlantic's influence? Whenever I tuned into City in the early 90's it was hits, hits & more hits with some football thrown in.

It almost certainly was down to Atlantic's success. Many stations saw how hugely popular it was and, not to put too fine a point on it, shat themselves.

City's owners emap even ended up hiring Paul Kavanagh, the genius behind the Atlantic format at its peak, as Group PD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    I think Atlantic 252 reached its peak in 1994/1995. I was hooked on the station back then.

It was well past its best by then. 1990/91 was its peak.
  • Options
    William128William128 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Buck wrote: »
    IIRC many ILR's played a lot of oldies in those days. Earlier in the 80's you'd even hear 60's hits alongside chart hits on ILR's. That's very rare outside of groups like Lincs in this day and age. Perhaps it was because most hadn't split frequencies yet.

It almost certainly was down to Atlantic's success. Many stations saw how hugely popular it was and, not to put too fine a point on it, shat themselves.

City's owners emap even ended up hiring Paul Kavanagh, the genius behind the Atlantic format at its peak, as Group PD.
    Yes,, that was case when listening to City.

The first change at City (I stand corrected), was when Tony McKenzie ex Nova and Enregy103 PD/Presenter, came over and changed it to 96.7 City FM. In fact he/they used some of the same station id's as Nova, but resung as City.
    May be Jayb can confirm this?
    I think that is when they hired Cousin Matty,, a young lad from from a Toxteth pirate station,, who pretended to be American..

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/cityfm/
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Borsant wrote: »
    mojo loop wrote: »

what about maybe having stations with originality playing a broad range of music......and presenters that know what they're talking about..is it ever going to happen.

It was this type of radio that was swept away and is unlikely to return.

That's exactly what I, for one would so desperately like to hear on British radio.
    I find the current state of radio in this country so desperately depressing. It takes quite an effort to find any really satisfying music programmes at all. The best seem to be on BBC local radio also BBC Scotland, Ulster and RTE (I'm talking about evening shows focussing on album tracks here). Otherwise for over 50's like me it's Brown Eyed Girl and Baker Street on Magic/ Gold or the moronic Radio Two.
    DAB has been completely messed up. what a wasted opportunity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Rossall wrote: »
    It was well past its best by then. 1990/91 was its peak.

Maybe in your opinion it was past it sell-by date by 1994/95 BUT the Audience figures beg to differ...........Quarter 2 1995 was Atlantic 252's peak UK reach figures of 4.9million, back in 90/91 it was getting just over 2.5million...................
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I was listening to the tribute stream all weekend as i was packing up my studio to move house.

The music was good but for me there was hardly any of the early days of the station ( ie from 89 - 93) most of the songs featured seemed to be from after that period of time.

Great stream but playlist could be a bit better IMO.
  • Options
    Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Maurice Vass was MD of DevonAir before he went to Centre in Leicester so very probably he worked with Travis there, yes. Centre closed quite soon after Vass joined RTL.

Thanks Rodney.

I loved Atlantic 252, ever since I first found it in late 1999. It was just so different to anything else around, fresh, fast-paced and exciting. IMO the best years were when Charlie and Andrew and later Kevin and Andrew hosted the breakfast show. We didn't seem to mind the tight playlist back then... I'd probably hate it now! :D
  • Options
    FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTJRJB wrote: »
    I was listening to the tribute stream all weekend as i was packing up my studio to move house.

The music was good but for me there was hardly any of the early days of the station ( ie from 89 - 93) most of the songs featured seemed to be from after that period of time.

Great stream but playlist could be a bit better IMO.

I'm a little bit addicted - kept tuning in over the weekend and have now got it on at work!

There is plenty of stuff in there from 89-93. Do bear in mind that there was simply less songs in the charts in the early 90s than there were in the mid to late 90s. Tracks used to stick around in the upper reaches of the charts for weeks and months, whereas by the end of the decade there were 15-20 new entries in the Top 40 every week!

Personally, I love the stream and wouldn't change a thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM_Bandit wrote: »

Actually, I might take Aqua Barbie Girl out of the rotation - but you can't have everything! ;)
  • Options
    frank jamesfrank james Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on the air wrote: »
    If anyone has the Jingles, PM me. I could get an Atlantic 252 nostalgia stream on air this week!!! I dont have the jingles though, which is one Major drawback!!

Well done on this excellent stream. It's great to listen to a 90s stream plays UK hits instead of US or Euro 90s hits.

On the subject of the original Atlantic 252. I think it was most popular in 1994/95 because that was the period when Radio 1 had shed the old DJs and music and hadn't quite got the right new DJs or music quite right and commercial radio was in it's Celine Dion,Robson & Jerome etc. period and wasn't playing a lot of the chart music.

In 1997 both Radio 1 and the commercial stations were playing a lot of new music with less talk like 252 on FM so there wasn't a need for it but once it went we have now seen Radio 1 increase it's talk and a lot of commercial radio stations now playing more oldies than new songs so maybe we need a station like this back. It's sad that the UK has no National commercial Hit Music station on Analogue yet has stations on for Classical Music and Talk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm a little bit addicted - kept tuning in over the weekend and have now got it on at work!

There is plenty of stuff in there from 89-93. Do bear in mind that there was simply less songs in the charts in the early 90s than there were in the mid to late 90s. Tracks used to stick around in the upper reaches of the charts for weeks and months, whereas by the end of the decade there were 15-20 new entries in the Top 40 every week!

Well i had it on for approx 3/4 hours on Sat afternoon and didnt hear one single 80's track. (The station was born in 1989)Heard a lot of dance music from 94/95 and tracks lile Robbie Williams from 99 (Millenium).

Dont get me wrong i liked the music that was playing, just feel there could be a lot more from the early days.

And being a DJ for over 24 years, i do know about the charts and how much music was available then etc etc etc..... so really that cant have too much of a bearing on the playlist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Had the stream on over ALL of the weekend while I was at work, and yes there could be some more 80's songs but it certainly banged out loads of hits so well done to whoever created that stream and long may it continue!

On a side note at my home studio I am able to feed the stream through my Codec when its on idle and it sounds excatly like it did when it was on LW, uncannly so!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTJRJB wrote: »
    Well i had it on for approx 3/4 hours on Sat afternoon and didnt hear one single 80's track. (The station was born in 1989)Heard a lot of dance music from 94/95 and tracks lile Robbie Williams from 99 (Millenium).

Dont get me wrong i liked the music that was playing, just feel there could be a lot more from the early days.

And being a DJ for over 24 years, i do know about the charts and how much music was available then etc etc etc..... so really that cant have too much of a bearing on the playlist.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to patronise. I too was listening on Saturday afternoon and heard the following:
    Lonnie Gordon - Happening All Over Again
    Tina Turner - The Best
    Tears for Fears - Sowing The Seeds Of Love
    The Source - You Got The Love
    Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
    Beautiful South - A Little Time

There were probably more from that era that have escaped my memory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to patronise. I too was listening on Saturday afternoon and heard the following:
    Lonnie Gordon - Happening All Over Again
    Tina Turner - The Best
    Tears for Fears - Sowing The Seeds Of Love
    The Source - You Got The Love
    Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
    Beautiful South - A Little Time

There were probably more from that era that have escaped my memory.

No no man, your ok.

As i said the stream was great, but i defo didnt hear any of the songs you mentioned above.

Not to worry tho. I will be tuned in again for sure.
  • Options
    William128William128 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is actually quite good,, well done!

Martika- I feel the earth move

Now playing.....