LW Radio Atlantic 252

12345679»

Comments

• Kitt 2000Kitt 2000 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why was he sacked?

Well this was never revealed as far as I know..

He had a holiday and never came back...

Maybe he upset the then regulator "the radio authority" ??

Maybe somebody knows??

I did ring the station and got through to and op at the time..
    They said "He's gone to pastured new"

Usually means they've been sacked in the radio business..
  • on the airon the air Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atlantic 252 Tribute
    http://tunein.com/radio/Atlantic-252-Tribute-s134499/ NOT WORKING!!!!!

This is now an AAC+ stream so wont work from a browser (except maybe safari).

The stream is now back working ont he Tunein App at 64K AAC+
  • sparrysparry Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kitt 2000 wrote: »
    Well this was never revealed as far as I know..

He had a holiday and never came back...

Maybe he upset the then regulator "the radio authority" ??

Atlantic 252 wasn't regulated by the Radio Authority as it was based in Ireland.

This meant, certainly at launch, it could offer bigger prizes than the ILR stations at the time, as they had restrictions on the value of prizes they could offer (as did ITV at the time)

Many ILR stations complained that Atlantic was unfair competition!
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    on the air wrote: »
    Atlantic 252 Tribute
    http://tunein.com/radio/Atlantic-252-Tribute-s134499/ NOT WORKING!!!!!

This is now an AAC+ stream so wont work from a browser (except maybe safari).

The stream is now back working ont he Tunein App at 64K AAC+

And on SW tonight 6290 Khz.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparry wrote: »
    Atlantic 252 wasn't regulated by the Radio Authority as it was based in Ireland.

Presumably there is/was an equivalent regulator in Ireland?
    This meant, certainly at launch, it could offer bigger prizes than the ILR stations at the time, as they had restrictions on the value of prizes they could offer (as did ITV at the time)

Many ILR stations complained that Atlantic was unfair competition!

Tough. The industry was really in need of a shake up and Atlantic provided it.
  • Kitt 2000Kitt 2000 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it was the undoing of Atlantic 252 for me when Charlie went..

Still just over a year later Nick Abbot's phone in came along on Virgin 1215, ground breaking radio to me...
  • on the airon the air Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    And on SW tonight 6290 Khz.

The new atlantic 252 classics, or the original tribute stream? The original will have 89-2001 year I.D.'s between :00 and :50
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    on the air wrote: »
    The new atlantic 252 classics, or the original tribute stream? The original will have 89-2001 year I.D.'s between :00 and :50

Original I think.
  • jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody know where one could find old Atlantic 252 schedules? I really would be interested to take a look
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    why was he sacked?

I phoned the station at the time and asked where he had gone. I was told by one of the other DJs that he had had a disagreement and "walked off into the sunset".
  • Jonny_RottenNIJonny_RottenNI Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »

Tough. The industry was really in need of a shake up and Atlantic provided it.

True. Simulcasting was coming to an end when Atlantic launched so the FM ILR stations had every opportunity to shine in their virtual monopoly TSA. Plus they benefited from official listening figures which could be sold better to potential advertisers / investors which Atlantic couldn't do as they were an Irish station. There may have been figures around, but a good salesperson would have been hammering home the "local radio for local people" mantra I believe.

And yes, the competitions were good on Atlantic, but in the early days British listeners had to call an international-rate number (003534636677 I think! :confused:) so could be a potential put off also. (In the interests of fairness, I should point out that during some competitions, the presenter would call the listener. IIRC that happened during the "phrase that pays" comp?)

Cool FM (former 97.4 Downtown simulcast) was my ILR when Atlantic launched. Atlantic won hands down due to the music, less talk, and when there was talk, it was worth listening to.
  • Jonny_RottenNIJonny_RottenNI Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yes, the competitions were good on Atlantic, but in the early days British listeners had to call an international-rate number (003534636677 I think! :confused:) so could be a potential put off also. (In the interests of fairness, I should point out that during some competitions, the presenter would call the listener. IIRC that happened during the "phrase that pays" comp?)

Yes, that number is right. Didn't it chnage later on to 0103534636677 which didn't sound quite so foreign?

Funny how some numbers stick in your mind - 01 811 8055 for Swap Shop, anyone? :D
  • radioman2radioman2 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [He did pop up on GWR Bath/Bristol for a while can't recall when this was though.

QUOTE=JELLIES0;75471064]I phoned the station at the time and asked where he had gone. I was told by one of the other DJs that he had had a disagreement and "walked off into the sunset".[/QUOTE]