Options

ANOTHER rock station to start on dab..

DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,099
Forum Member
✭✭✭
... central scotland

So yet another rock station to hit our air waves on central scotland dab. Eklipse

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2013/05/new-sports-rock-talk-station-to-launch/

Already got Kerrang-PlanetRock-Real xs manchester+glasgow and TeamRock

Comments

• Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There must be a lot of rock heads in Scotland then. I personally hate rock so I would not bother with it but good luck to them I guess.
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Like I said before, a lot of people who own radio stations like rock music, in the same way they like football.

Unfortunately, a lot of these people make a ton of money then decide to sink it into their passions. And end up losing a huge amount.

I don't know if that's the case here. I hope not. But I can't see that there's an audience for all these tiny radio stations playing the same sort of thing.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... central scotland

So yet another rock station to hit our air waves on central scotland dab. Eklipse

looks like they thought of bidding for perhaps Real XS as Spencer Pryor did Sales for Q96 FM?
    “Initially we thought of purchasing one of the Scottish stations that are going to have to be divested from the Global/Real and Smooth combine to satisfy Competition Commission ownership criteria. However the sums involved made it a bit of a non-starter for a wee company such as ours. So we’ve done a deal with SwitchDigital and taken an option on some capacity being freed up by Bauer shifting their stations onto their own muxes”.
    Intersting SwitchDigital is owned by UTV a rival for the proposed sport talk part of the station?
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For a DAB station to attract a large enough audience for sport, I think it would have to have exclusive commentary rights for teams that are popular in the area to which it broadcasts. Football transfer news updates like those on Yorkshire Radio may also attract new listeners if people are aware of them.

During the day, Yorkshire Radio mainly plays rock music. Its name probably gets the attention of listeners. Leeds United are the most popular sports team in Yorkshire, and the station has exclusive commentary rights, as well as shows about the club throughout the week. I don't think Eklypse is a name that would make sports fans wonder about the station and want to check it out.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eklypse sounds more like something that would play dance music in the nineties.
  • Options
    Ethan RayneEthan Rayne Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »

Always thought Real XS sounded like a dance music station, any true rock fan will be listening to TeamRock.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Err. Rock and Roll Football ? ( Absolute do it already )
  • Options
    Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Err. Rock and Roll Football ? ( Absolute do it already )

But not locally in Scotland

It does strike me as the type of format that can have a good niche in Central Scotland mainly due to interest in Celtic and Rangers in the West of which folk never tire of talking about/hearing opinions on.

Always felt GMG should have done this with their two rock stations in Glasgow and Manchester, both of which would have suited sports-talk content.

A hook up with Central Fm and their footy phone-in anyone?

Wish the venture well and looking forward to hear.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet another rock station has been launched online. It is called Gemm 2.
  • Options
    midlandsfirstmidlandsfirst Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always thought Real XS sounded like a dance music station, any true rock fan will be listening to TeamRock.

Personally as a rock fan ill be listening to XS till the 14th and then Planet Rock on 105.2 at which point ill either sell or get rid of my dab radio as i will have no use for it come August when XS and LBC disappear in this area. I wont be listening to Team Rock as i wont listen to my rock music in 80k mono (plus i like rock as opposed to metal which there is too much of on Team Rock)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »

As a point of anorak interest, this was the intended name of one of the unsucessful bids for the Lanarkshire licence, and it is the same person (Spencer Prior) behind this new venture.

The idea behind the 'Eklypse' name of old was that had they been sucessful in the Lanarkshire bid, the station would have launched during the solar eclipse of the sun that occurred in July 1999, bringing with it a head-start of interest and publicity. Since it intended East Kilbride as the core area there was a logic there.

I can see a logic here too........two different concepts.....rock and sport...... combined and 'eclipsing' eachother.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a point of anorak interest, this was the intended name of one of the unsucessful bids for the Lanarkshire licence, and it is the same person (Spencer Prior) behind this new venture.

The idea behind the 'Eklypse' name of old was that had they been sucessful in the Lanarkshire bid, the station would have launched during the solar eclipse of the sun that occurred in July 1999, bringing with it a head-start of interest and publicity. Since it intended East Kilbride as the core area there was a logic there.

I can see a logic here too........two different concepts.....rock and sport...... combined and 'eclipsing' eachother.

I immediately thought of East Kilbride when I saw the name - and given that I don't live there, it seems like a daft name.

Eclipse if you really want, but to get people's attention scrolling though their DAB stations, SportTalkScot or SportRock or something that says what it does would be much better.

I tend to agree that if this would work anywhere, it's in Glasgow/Central Scotland, and in fact a Scottish Rock 'n' Roll football could go down very well. But with high costs and no analogue frequency, it'll be an uphill battle. Good luck to those involved!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to agree that if this would work anywhere, it's in Glasgow/Central Scotland, and in fact a Scottish Rock 'n' Roll football could go down very well. But with high costs and no analogue frequency, it'll be an uphill battle. Good luck to those involved!

Switchdigital were recently advertising for projects of this nature to take space on their Central Scotland MUX. I have no idea what the costs are but presumably they must be offering highly discounted rates.

Also, as we know there are a huge number of presenters on the market so it will be far easier to pull together a pro team that won't cost the earth than it might have been previously.

If you have a station heavy on Scottish football chat and playing mainstream bloke rock......I can see that flying.
  • Options
    AJ007AJ007 Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    ... central scotland

Don't forget Kerrang will be closing soon, according to reports.

I think the mix of music, talk and sport being advertised by Eklipse Sport Radio looks interesting although a certain (ex-) member on DS has taken time to bad mouth it! Jealousy's a terrible thing! lol
  • Options
    Ethan RayneEthan Rayne Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But not locally in Scotland

Always felt GMG should have done this with their two rock stations in Glasgow and Manchester, both of which would have suited sports-talk content.

Actually whenever football was discussed on Rock Radio/Real XS(meh) the result has been muted to say the least, Motorsport has always been a popular subject for on the station though.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AJ007 wrote: »
    Don't forget Kerrang will be closing soon, according to reports.

I think the mix of music, talk and sport being advertised by Eklipse Sport Radio looks interesting although a certain (ex-) member on DS has taken time to bad mouth it! Jealousy's a terrible thing! lol

Kerrang is only closing on fm in West Midlands I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is an excellent experiment.

Switchdigital took the step of throwing open space to new providers in Central Scotland and presumably are offering vastly discounted rates compared to previously.

The usual complaint about DAB......and in part why it has not yet had full lift-off in the way FM did against AM.......is that while it purports to offer 'more choice' it's essentially mostly just more of the same.

This new station strikes me as the type of thing we always hoped DAB would provide and if switchdigital get another couple of similar things on there........say a student station (perrhaps a mashup of existing student output ) and maybe something genuinely aimed at an older audience (perhaps cherrypicking people and shows from hospital and community radio) then it may well see a significant new takeup of DAB in Central Scotland and others will follow.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the very hard rock stuff but I do like some soft rock and power ballands.
    Another rock station is maybe not whats needed.

Darren
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have an ad on Media UK for "Sports Talk Presenters" and this interesting line is included...
    OTT shock jocks might be considered, but if you’ve got an English accent you’ll get Dogs’ abuse on-air from the punters – ‘fraid that’s the way of things up here in Scottish Sportsland.

Are we really so narrow minded up here?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Jim GellatlyJim Gellatly Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Not in marketing, but surely not good when you have to spell the name of the station in an ad for sales staff on the test transmission.
  • Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in marketing, but surely not good when you have to spell the name of the station in an ad for sales staff on the test transmission.

I do work in marketing and branding and you're right - It's a terrible name!

Says nothing about rock or sport or Scotland and, for a radio brand, suffers the crime of not being immediately searchable when you only hear it.

EDIT: Semi-apologies. I see the full name is Eklipse Sports Radio, which at least covers the sport angle. But now I've Googled it, I see they've also opted for the worst logo in history, and a piss-poor website too.
  • Options
    BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if switchdigital get another couple of similar things on there........say a student station (perrhaps a mashup of existing student output ) and maybe something genuinely aimed at an older audience (perhaps cherrypicking people and shows from hospital and community radio) then it may well see a significant new takeup of DAB in Central Scotland and others will follow.

As I remember it, Saga was getting about a 10-12% reach, 6% share of listening. Xfm about 6-10% reach, 3-4% share when they were on FM, and funded and marketed by two of the biggest radio groups in the country.

Why would similarly targeted stations, on a less universal platform, expect significant audiences?
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    They have an ad on Media UK for "Sports Talk Presenters" and this interesting line is included...

Are we really so narrow minded up here?:rolleyes:

I'd say we're too busy fighting each other over ridiculous psuedo-religious lines to worry about the English these days. Some people in the west of Scotland are addicted to the kind of sectarian nonsense people in Northern Ireland are desperate to be rid of and have suffered through.

I think Scottish listeners are more open to English voices these days. I imagine it also helps that the English football team hasn't been too hot recently, as it's constant references to repeating 1966, talking about England for the duration of the build-up to another game and matters like that which cause people to become a bit annoyed.
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    I'd say we're too busy fighting each other over ridiculous psuedo-religious lines to worry about the English these days. Some people in the west of Scotland are addicted to the kind of sectarian nonsense people in Northern Ireland are desperate to be rid of and have suffered through.

I think Scottish listeners are more open to English voices these days. I imagine it also helps that the English football team hasn't been too hot recently, as it's constant references to repeating 1966, talking about England for the duration of the build-up to another game and matters like that which cause people to become a bit annoyed.

Indeed. I think the bigots don't worry who is spouting the garbage that fololws their agenda as long as the flames are constantly being fanned and they can idulge in the petty ping pong type name calling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bingethink wrote: »
    As I remember it, Saga was getting about a 10-12% reach, 6% share of listening. Xfm about 6-10% reach, 3-4% share when they were on FM, and funded and marketed by two of the biggest radio groups in the country.

Why would similarly targeted stations, on a less universal platform, expect significant audiences?

Well not necessarily any individual stations themselves but if there were a range of targeted services this might have a positive cumulative effect on DAB takeup as a whole which is what I was referring to.

Perhaps this is more in hope than expectation. Atlernative formats on analogue haven't really worked in this country so one might well wonder why they would now on DAB.

But if what we are accepting is that they never will and that the masses just want to listen to Steve Wright et al for the rest of his/their days then what on earth is the point in forging ahead with DAB?