West Runton 1kW TG186412
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PeterB wrote: »
    19 March 2009: West Runton, Norfolk

West Runton 1kW TG186412

Might explain why signal on my portable radio improved earlier this year but hasn't made a difference to my patchy hifi signal which is unbearable. Only 7 miles down the road. Ah got to love Norfolk. I guess though the BBC stations (Asian Network, R1, BBC Norfolk, etc) have improved and this is what was upgraded whereas the others haven't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to pick up many more stations than some areas of the country do and also a couple from Yorkshire but I would love to think that I may hear BBC Radio Newcastle and /or BBC Radio York sometime or Metro radio as I could hear once upon a time on FM but I have a feeling this isn't going to happen and I assume all the DAB transmitters around here are all broadcasting, on full power etc...so what I have is how things will remain. The only local BBC station I can hear is Radio Tees.
  • Options
    pje1979pje1979 Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    13 May 2009: Aldeburgh, Suffolk

Aldeburgh 1.8kW TM443596
  • Options
    Forum Member
    28 May 2009: Armagh, Northern Ireland

Armagh 5kW H891446
  • Options
    derk weaselderk weasel Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5th june 2009

membury, berkshire.

5Kw, SU307763
  • Options
    spannersspanners Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pje1979 wrote: »
    28 May 2009: Armagh, Northern Ireland

Armagh 5kW H891446

This wasn't one of the 54 sites that the BBC originally mentioned so is this additional (or instead of) one of those locations shown on the original list?
  • Options
    stephenejonesstephenejones Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    I seem to pick up many more stations than some areas of the country do and also a couple from Yorkshire but I would love to think that I may hear BBC Radio Newcastle and /or BBC Radio York sometime or Metro radio as I could hear once upon a time on FM but I have a feeling this isn't going to happen and I assume all the DAB transmitters around here are all broadcasting, on full power etc...so what I have is how things will remain. The only local BBC station I can hear is Radio Tees.

On the subject of BBC Radio York, it's supposed to be appearing on DAB (finally) towards the end of this year, but there seems to be conflicting info?!
    Minster FM owners team up with MuxCo in drive for North Yorkshire DAB

MuxCo has signed up The Local Radio Company (TLRC), owners of Minster, Stray and Yorkshire Coast Radio to submit an application for the local DAB digital radio multiplex serving North Yorkshire.

The actual licence area includes the eastern part of North Yorkshire, the city of York, and northern districts of the East Riding of Yorkshire.

As we predicted in June, the application means this will be the first time a TLRC station will feature on DAB digital radio.

The county's BBC service - BBC Radio York - will be carried on the multiplex.

MuxCo North Yorkshire Ltd plans to bring just two new services - Easy Radio and Traffic Radio to the area, when the multiplex launches in June 2009 [5th Jan 2009: MuxCo now propose "December 2009" as a revised launch date]. Yorkshire Coast Radio is planned to launch within two years of this date.

MuxCo North Yorkshire

BBC Radio York : news, information and music
    Minster FM : current and classic hits for York
    Stray FM : current and classic hits for Harrogate
    Yorkshire Coast Radio : current and classic hits for Scarborough
    Fresh Radio : contemporary and classic hits
    Easy Radio : easy listening music including rock, blues and folk
    Traffic Radio : rolling traffic news service

MuxCo are proposing two transmitters across North Yorkshire and one further transmitter to be turned on within two years of the multiplex launch to serve Scarborough.

taken from http://www.radio-now.co.uk/news563.htm (Sept 07)

Yet, the MuxCo website itself doesn't list BBC Radio York alongside the other stations...
    In September 2007 MuxCo applied for the DAB Digital Radio licence to cover North Yorkshire, and were awarded the licence in December 2007.

We aim to launch the multiplex by December 2009.

Services:

Minster FM
    Stray FM
    Yorkshire Coast Radio
    Fresh Radio
    Easy Radio
    Traffic Radio
    Podcast Channel (more information)

taken from http://www.muxco.com/multiplexes/york/

:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On the subject of BBC Radio York, it's supposed to be appearing on DAB (finally) towards the end of this year, but there seems to be conflicting info?!

Yet, the MuxCo website itself doesn't list BBC Radio York alongside the other stations...

I have a feeling that Muxco will never launch any of their proposed multiplexes. They keep delaying, the economy is bad and they're not earning anything while nothing is being broadcast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    19 June 2009: Rumster Forest, Highland

Rumster Forest 10kW ND197385
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Must be a mistake
    on http://www.muxco.com/multiplexes/york/services/
    MuxCo North Yorkshire will also broadcast BBC Radio York.
    However with the Myers report and UKRD taking over TLRC, also the end of easy radio, the mux (and other new local muxes) might be replaned to help reduce cost for stations and increase TX power.

On Feedback r4 today
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006slnx
    about 12 mins in
    FM Switch over will not start take place in 2015 unless by 2013 there are 600 extra BBC DAB transmitters giving 98% coverage of strong DAB signals.
    Digital radio = DAB, Web and DTV!
  • Options
    mattdmattd Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »

Indeed it was, now all fixed.

The multiplexes will launch.

Will they be in exactly the same configurations, transmitters and services? Probably not. DAB's tectonic plates are moving all over the place at the moment. However, i'm pretty confident that if there are any changes it'll be good news for everyone involved and the listeners too.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mattd wrote: »
    Indeed it was, now all fixed.

The multiplexes will launch.

Will they be in exactly the same configurations, transmitters and services?

We know how the new multiplex configurations will look, because they are shown on Page 8 of this document. You could say that Ofcom have "let the cat out of the bag" while negotiations with the operators are still going on.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radio/ifi/myers.pdf

The North Yorkshire multiplex will now be on one frequency block whereas the original licence was set up was for the county to be divided into two blocks.
  • Options
    mattdmattd Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of those are still proposals. There's a lot more work that needs to be done on all sides.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mattd wrote: »
    All of those are still proposals. There's a lot more work that needs to be done on all sides.

How long you looking at before the North Yorkshire multiplex is on air.

Are you still leaving Olivers Mount out until you've been on air for two years?
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westward wrote: »
    We know how the new multiplex configurations will look, because they are shown on Page 8 of this document. You could say that Ofcom have "let the cat out of the bag" while negotiations with the operators are still going on.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radio/ifi/myers.pdf

The North Yorkshire multiplex will now be on one frequency block whereas the original licence was set up was for the county to be divided into two blocks.

Do we really know they are the final plans - all they are from reading the document are suggested regions - it's possible that some regions will be on two blocks due to frequency availability issue, or even demand for supply...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two new BBC transmitters: Holyhead South Stack improves coverage of Anglesey and in North West Wales. Wharfedale improves coverage in and around the Yorkshire valley.
  • Options
    PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    Two new BBC transmitters: Holyhead South Stack improves coverage of Anglesey and in North West Wales. Wharfedale improves coverage in and around the Yorkshire valley.

Both 1kW.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In view of the 'Digital Britain' report are the BBC just going to carry on switching on transmitters until coverage matches that of FM?
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,896
    Forum Member
    pje1979 wrote: »
    In view of the 'Digital Britain' report are the BBC just going to carry on switching on transmitters until coverage matches that of FM?

Caroline Thompson, Chief Operating Officer of the BBC, said this week at the Westminster Media Forum:

"We don’t have the money to build out beyond 90% - that is our current build-out - and the final 10% costs much more per percentage than the previous 90%, but we will look forward to a discussion with the government about it."

The problem is that the Digital Britain report says that:

"getting to the level of necessary coverage will also require a contribution from the BBC, in line with its sixth Charter Public Purpose."

The government have said that there is the possibility of some money from the underspend on Digital Switchover Help Scheme, though they have also identified other possible uses for that money, some also feel that it should be returned to the licence fee payers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see, thanks Mike.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mike for upto date news.
    Notice the DRM consortium are still trying to press for DRM coverage to overcome the problem in remote areas, but could confuse listeners which set to buy (assuming more affordable DRM/DAB sets arrive)!
    The press release in 2006 said
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/05_may/22/digital.shtml
    Arqiva will also be responsible for building and operating additional transmitters to expand the coverage of the BBC's DAB digital radio network.
    At least 10 and potentially a further 160 new transmitters will come into service starting in 2007.
    But in 2008 a contract was placed for the 54 transmitters for the 90% coverage (how many have been delivered?), presumably with TV DSO space has been left on TX sites to make them ready for more transmitters and aerials on masts to make roll out easier if the BBC orders more transmitters (about 600 more will be needed to match current FM coverage!).
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,896
    Forum Member
    Thanks Mike for upto date news.

There's more detail of Caroline Thompson's comments, as well as those of Andrew Harrison of the Radio Centre and Carolyn McCall of GMG on funding for the expansion of commercial multiplexes at the same forum, in Grant Goddard's blog:

http://grantgoddardradioblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/paying-for-digital-britains-digital.html
  • Options
    Ronald McDonaldRonald McDonald Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Not sure if anyone will be interested, but though I would post anyway...

There's an application in for a new BBC DAB Transmitter at Fishguard 0.2 Kw (West Wales) - some of the documents may be of interest!

http://planning.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=09/0204/PN&backURL=<a href=wphappcriteria.display>Search Criteria</a> > <a href='wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=312638%26StartIndex=11%26SortOrder=APNID:asc%26DispResultsAs=wphappsresweek2%26BackURL=<a href=wphappcriteria.display>Search Criteria</a>'>Search Results</a>
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I missed some of this thread after my posting...is it likely/possible that if the BBC bring on line these extra transmitters they could/would possibly move where appropriate onto their own transmitters alongside the BBC National stations which I assume are being introduced to improve reception and coverage around the UK or as the new report for digital Britain suggest local stations will remain on am/fm does that mean that local BBC radio will not move to DAB?

I seemingly receive my DAB stations from MXR North East, Digital 1 and Bauer Teeside but do also hear duplicates of Choice, Heart, LBC, Smooth and Yorkshire Radio from the MXR North Yorkshire Multiplex so I do wonder if more transmitters were on air or the power was increased if I would hear BBC Radio York and some other stations and/or possibly could expect to hear BBC Radio Newcastle...

As many stations seem to be duplicated around the UK and there are only a few that are different I am not sure that using a DAB external antenna if I could use one would really be worth considering for what could be gained.

Looking at a list of all the stations available in Tyne and Wear I am only missing Metro Radio and BBC Newcastle as it is.

I guess the fact that I cannot hear Metro Radio and BBC Newcastle now on DAB suggests that they are out of the picture and at best I may be more successful with improvements if things change in Yorkshire.

Not counting duplicates and stations off air waiting to be filled I can pick up around 40 stations on my portable receiver. If they were I might be able to add another 4-5 to my list.