Options

Comprehensive YouGov Poll: 68% want Britain to get on with Brexit

2»

Comments

• Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,009
    Forum Member
    allaorta wrote: »
    There is a difference between devaluation and decimation, Hammond is effectively trying to do a hatchet job on British commerce and industry. Strange because there was a time when he was considered a eurosceptic.

Oh I get it if you regard someone as 'one of us' the sun shines out their backside and a lower pound is excellent news.

If you imagine someone is not 'one of us' then everything they do is with evil intent.

Well let's see everytime Boris Johnson, Liam Fox or David Davis open their gobs the pound is decimated, I'm sure you agree.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a difference between devaluation and decimation, Hammond is effectively trying to do a hatchet job on British commerce and industry. Strange because there was a time when he was considered a eurosceptic.

Anyone who doesn't join in the mass Brexit hallucinogenic euphoria is either trying to talk the economy down or is a vile anti patriot.

Hammond understands more than anyone the disaster we are walking into, and I hope he is candid when making the Autumn statement. If he's not around much longer, it will be because he's walked, given that rumours are that May is sidelining him.

If you think that would be cause for celebration, wait to see how the markets react.
  • Options
    Mr Oleo StrutMr Oleo Strut Posts: 15,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    m
    FusionFury wrote: »
    I've noticed a large amount of public wanting Brexit more than ever recently, even Remain voters I've come across have decided to change their vote to leave.

Perhaps you should get out more and widen your circle before jumping on any passing bandwagon to confirm your prejudices.
  • Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    I hope that before Article 50 is triggered, someone in the government, probably Philip Hammond finds the balls to say clearly that Brexit is nothing less than a huge act of economic self harm. No credible finance minister could possibly justify Brexit, given the huge debt we are carrying, the appalling low levels of investment and balance of payments deficit. To push Article 50 in our circumstances is akin to asking everyone in the country to join hands and start running towards a cliff.

Not everything is about money in life! An overcrowded country which is not pleasant to live in also has merit for us to leave and take action.

We could have stayed in the EU if they weren't so stubborn on freedom of movement
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wrote:
    Hammond understands more than anyone the disaster we are walking into,

sorry, im not picking on you (hence the name removal) but you are still peddling this crap!

if this was true, why are not all other mp's saying so? why arent the financial institutions saying so? why isnt the bank of england saying so?

there will be an unsettled, turbulent time , there will not be 'a disaster'.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,009
    Forum Member
    crystallad wrote: »
    Not everything is about money in life! An overcrowded country which is not pleasant to live in also has merit for us to leave and take action.

When you say overcrowded, do you have any numbers in mind?
  • Options
    NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    Not that I wish to 'knock' the poll results OP, a sample of less than 2000 is not "comprehensive".

Nonetheless, interesting demographics information for the sample.

(I prefer a sample of over 33.5 million :D)
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Oh I get it if you regard someone as 'one of us' the sun shines out their backside and a lower pound is excellent news.

If you imagine someone is not 'one of us' then everything they do is with evil intent.

Well let's see everytime Boris Johnson, Liam Fox or David Davis open their gobs the pound is decimated, I'm sure you agree.
    trevgo wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't join in the mass Brexit hallucinogenic euphoria is either trying to talk the economy down or is a vile anti patriot.

Hammond understands more than anyone the disaster we are walking into, and I hope he is candid when making the Autumn statement. If he's not around much longer, it will be because he's walked, given that rumours are that May is sidelining him.

If you think that would be cause for celebration, wait to see how the markets react.

None of which is true but do keep coming up with flounderings. And I do believe the markets reacted today after May's nonsensical Brexit statement earlier in the day. The woman is now showing herself to be a walking, talking disaster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nodger wrote: »
    Not that I wish to 'knock' the poll results OP, a sample of less than 2000 is not "comprehensive".

Will millions do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Will millions do?

Already edited before your post ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Already edited before your post ;-)

Haha, I clicked on the wrong post, I was supposed to be answering i4u's post:
    When you say overcrowded, do you have any numbers in mind?

I wrote "millions" merely because I couldn't satisfy the Remnant's desire for pinpoint accuracy.:D
  • Options
    SakerSaker Posts: 1,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

(I prefer a sample of over 33.5 million :D)

The poll asked the normal amount of people yougov polls usually do and other pollsters for that matter. The comprehensive was in reference to how many questions they asked.
  • Options
    Mr Oleo StrutMr Oleo Strut Posts: 15,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We just want OUR country and fishing lanes back.. it's that simple really. Even if we have to spite ourselves for awhile ! :D

You spite yourself if you want to. As regards fishing, ask Farage what he has done to protect the UK on the EU fishing committee.
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saker wrote: »
    YouGov have released their most comprehensive poll yet covering general feeling this November.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/11/17/brexit-briefing/

Deleted
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Hammond is busy sabotaging the pound with negative outlooks atm. When the period comes to pull the article 50 trigger, I can guarantee you he will be all gloom and doom - if he is still in a job. Hammond is currently the most important Remainer in the country.

No, the Brexit vote did that with the crash in the pound's value so much so that the Bank of England had to arrange a £70 billion emergency intervention plus record low interests rate to try to stabilise the situation.
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Err, I voted remain, but would quite like them to get on with the exit process. However, given the chance I would vote remain again.

I think you are confusing two different things.

Exactly!

The biggest issues with the YouGov poll are:

1. The sample size is tiny. 1,676 people is not a representative figure. YouGov themselves have claimed in the past that a poll needs millions of participants to give an accurate reading.

2. They have mixed their questions to make it look as though people support Brexit when, given the opportunity, most don't support it.

e.g hidden in the detail of support for Brexit:

Support Brexit: 728 or 43%

Do not support Brexit: 834 or 50%

Don't know 114 or 7%

http://crunch.io/embed.html?ref=https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/11/17/brexit-briefing/&data=https://s.crunch.io/widget/index.html#/ds/204919b93703fcbb59ad915ba418b93a/row/000176/column/000155?viz=graph&cp=percent&dp=0&grp=stack
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly!

The biggest issues with the YouGov poll are:

1. The sample size is tiny. 1,676 people is not a representative figure.

It is a typically large size. Most polls are between 500 - 1000 people interviewed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a typically large size. Most polls are between 500 - 1000 people interviewed.

.......... which is why so many are wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .......... which is why so many are wrong.

Not its not. The Trump and Brexit polls were wrong because people were too afraid to tell pollsters their politics. Was nothing to do with sample sizes.

Post Brexit, the right have been rejuvenated and the left are running around like headless chickens trying to stem the mass exodus of northern former Labour voters to UKIP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not its not. The Trump and Brexit polls were wrong because people were too afraid to tell pollsters their politics. Was nothing to do with sample sizes.

Post Brexit, the right have been rejuvenated and the left are running around like headless chickens trying to stem the mass exodus of northern former Labour voters to UKIP.

Saker, i'm on your side most of the time, but not this time. The polls are rubbish purely because those that wish to take part, take part. That mindset alone is enough to potentially skew data. Samples are nearly always too small and the exodus you talk of is not demonstrably true if one looks at exactly the polls you defend (seems Tories are getting all the love):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed a large amount of public wanting Brexit more than ever recently, even Remain voters I've come across have decided to change their vote to leave.
    Yeah right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

if this was only the brexit and trump polls then you might have a point.... but they didnt predict majors huge victory in 92 nor camerons the other year. history is littered with wrong polls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if this was only the brexit and trump polls then you might have a point.... but they didnt predict majors huge victory in 92 nor camerons the other year. history is littered with wrong polls.

I agree, but there definitely seems a trend of people lying to pollsters. The Bradley effect seems the most likely reason - especially in the emotionally charged US election and recent referendum where words like racism and evil were used daily during the campaigns. You only have to look at the thread below where Farage is being linked to the death of Jo Cox for the billionth time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_effect
  • Options
    Jayceef1Jayceef1 Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, the Brexit vote did that with the crash in the pound's value so much so that the Bank of England had to arrange a £70 billion emergency intervention plus record low interests rate to try to stabilise the situation.

To stop the pounds slide then an increase in the interest rate would have been the solution not a decrease. Carney made it worse.