Doctor Who: The Bell's Of St John Prequel

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clara (in the clip)'s mother seemed to have a southern, or at least non-northern accent.

And surely the Doctor would be wandering round London looking for Clara, as that's where he saw her last. He wouldn't take a trip up north to look for her (unless he was indulging in a bit of Lucie nostalgia and called in at Blackpool).

So young Clara maybe had lived up north, then they moved down to London, where her mother originally came from. Thus as she grew up she would lose her accent. :D

I just thought the little girl was dark haired and pretty, like Jenna, so had a resemblance.:)

There we go, explained :) Believable enough!

Probably all a ruse to make that 'twist' a bit more 'unexpected'. ;)
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said if this was a major point of the new era it would be a bit much. But it isn't. Its a gentle little prologue that feels familiar and new all at the same time. And so well written!

Meanwhile on Youtube the comments come pouring in saying the young Clara's dialogue isn't realistic enough and that she shouldn't be talking to strangers.

The internet-killing peoples enjoyment of things since whenever it was invented.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    So, the modern era Clara came from the North and as a child had a Northern accent. We saw adult Victorian Clara adapt her accent to her situation. What's so hard to explain?
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    As others have said if this was a major point of the new era it would be a bit much. But it isn't. Its a gentle little prologue that feels familiar and new all at the same time. And so well written!

Meanwhile on Youtube the comments come pouring in saying the young Clara's dialogue isn't realistic enough and that she shouldn't be talking to strangers.

The internet-killing peoples enjoyment of things since whenever it was invented.

Which was clearly addressed within the prologue. :(

Such a sad commentary on the times we live in. I guess those predators were always there in the past too, but society was not prepared to deal with the issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    Which was clearly addressed within the prologue. :(

Such a sad commentary on the times we live in. I guess those predators were always there in the past too, but society was not prepared to deal with the issue.

Its my fault. Youtube comments are generally a cess pool of idiocy. Shouldn't have read them.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er, haven't we been here before with The Doctor and Amelia in "The Eleventh Hour"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er, haven't we been here before with The Doctor and Amelia in "The Eleventh Hour"?

No. Its a prologue to a new episode called The Bells of St John with a new companion called Clara. It was set in a playground, not a back garden. The Doctor didn't know it was Clara he was talking to. It was a sweet two minute set up that showed the Doctor has been searching for Clara and doesn't think he will find her. The reveal at the end was just a cheeky and typical 'oh!' Moffat moment. It is unlikely to have any relevance at all to the main narrative of the actual show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Down trodden, disenchanted white working class female living in present day London who works a menial job, doesn't think she has much future and doesn't realise her amazing potential while stuck with an overbearing mother and a useless boyfriend/fiance?
    Hang on a minute Russell! You're not fooling anyone! What a one trick Pony! *shakes fist*
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, because it's not part of the plot as it was with Amelia.

The scene is not going to be in the episode.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why was the Doctor wearing his tweed jacket? Doesn't he have a new costume?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Its a prologue to a new episode called The Bells of St John with a new companion called Clara. It was set in a playground, not a back garden. The Doctor didn't know it was Clara he was talking to. It was a sweet two minute set up that showed the Doctor has been searching for Clara and doesn't think he will find her. The reveal at the end was just a cheeky and typical 'oh!' Moffat moment. It is unlikely to have any relevance at all to the main narrative of the actual show.

So, you mean yes we have.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ssssh, don't say that! You're an evil internet hater destroying everyone's enjoyment of Who!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    Ssssh, don't say that! You're an evil internet hater destroying everyone's enjoyment of Who!

Oops, sorry! :o:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That post from our Dickensian friend seemed like it to me. I suppose it depends how you want to view it, positively or negatively. I think a writer or amy other artist having certain themes or motifs they like to return to shows a strong sense of an individual voice. Everyone does it. Of course you could choose to cast it negatively if you wish as Pickwick did. I am sure when Pet Sounds came out there were some people waving their fists going 'bah! Those bloody beach boys and their bloody harmonies again!'.

For me that isn't Moffat running out of ideas. Its deliberate. And obviously a sly nod or bridge between Pond and Clara.
    I thought the writing - out of context - was decent and the acting was great, and it was sweet. But my main criticism of Moffat as a whole is that he keeps returning to the same plots over and over again. I certainly didn't say nobody could like it, or anything similar.

Do you think you have a tipping point, where you would say a writer repeated themselves too much? Or would you just happily watch the same themes and storylines and characters over and over again forever?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim Burton at around the time of Sleepy Hollow and ever since.

Edit- though with him it is less writing and more the visuals and tone that got hackneyed.

Woody Allen is another. Strayed into parody.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »

But that seems to be true the majority of the time with The Gatherer. It makes me wonder why they still watch the show if they complain about it so much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because he's spoken to a companion as a child before they become a companion doesn't make it exactly the same as Amy's plot. This obviously isn't going to be a big part in the actual show unlike Amy's.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ahh crap i was all geared up thinking doctor who started tonight
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim Burton at around the time of Sleepy Hollow and ever since.

Edit- though with him it is less writing and more the visuals and tone that got hackneyed.

Woody Allen is another. Strayed into parody.
    Ah, yeah, Tim Burton's a great example. Sadly that's where I'm kind of heading towards with Moffat's writing :( Though he's amazing when he's on form, so that can make up for it a lot of the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    But that seems to be true the majority of the time with The Gatherer. It makes me wonder why they still watch the show if they complain about it so much.

Er, because I live in hope that the show will return to its previous high pre Moffat that's why.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm steadfastly ignoring the arcs and just looking for the occasional really good episode..Still smiling over "The Doctors Wife"

The Christmas special for me was an improvement on past specials as well.

So with Gaiman returning this year I know I'll get some joy. Just have to ignore the Moff hype. Got high hopes for the 50th as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er, because I live in hope that the show will return to its previous high pre Moffat that's why.

But if you hate it so much, wait until we have a new show runner and then watch it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    But if you hate it so much, wait until we have a new show runner and then watch it.

But then I'd miss the odd good episode like "The Doctor's Wife" and "The Girl Who Waited". Even "The Snowmen", though it had its faults, was a vast improvement on previous Christmas specials.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But then I'd miss the odd good episode like "The Doctor's Wife" and "The Girl Who Waited". Even "The Snowmen", though it had its faults, was a vast improvement on previous Christmas specials.

Ok then, how about this. Seeing as you enjoy some of the episodes, don't make it sound as if you hate Doctor Who, in it's current form.
  • Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the main and obvious difference between Amy and Clara is that it has no bearing whatsoever on the plot. There's no way Clara will remember meeting the Doctor, again this is fairly obvious why. Amy had him crashing impossibly into her life, saying he'd come back for her and then disappearing. Not the sort of thing you'd forget. Whereas Clara met a man on a swing and had a minute long chat with him, not the sort of thing you'd remember in 10/15 years time, even if the man is dressed a little strangely.