Frozen Food Useby Dates

molleymolley Posts: 25,674
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have some steaks ..T Bone and Ribeye...that I bought mailorder recently and the useby dates are May/09 .I also have a turkey that has been in there for a while and the usebuy date is also /09 but I have noticed that buying fresh mince in packs it says to freeze it but to use it within one month .The question is if those other things can be frozen for so long why can't frozen mince .What's so different about it ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    I have something that's been in the freezer for 3 months but says to use within 1 month. I will use it soon, but I agree it seems odd to me too.

I was going to suggest it could be the way they're frozen - stuff thats bought is flash frozen, but I don't see how that will make such a huge difference, and 1 month in the freezer isn't a long time is it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny, I bought something from Tesco today which said freeze on day of purchase and use within 1 month, and I thought "why?" Seems weird when you can buy stuff that is already frozen, and it has a three month date normally. Must be a good reason I suppose. :confused:
  • QuickbloodQuickblood Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect it's down to what the freezer does. Freezing food only slows down the bacteria. So where factory frozen food has been temperature controlled more carefully for longer the growth is probably minimal but the stuff you buy from the shops is only chilled so is closer to being 'off' and won't last as long in the freezer.

I guess it's also possible that it has something to do with mince surface area. It's exposed to more bacteria that's why were advised to cook it thoroughly while we can eat steak rare.

That's my guess anyway.
  • molleymolley Posts: 25,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quickblood wrote: »
    I suspect it's down to what the freezer does. Freezing food only slows down the bacteria. So where factory frozen food has been temperature controlled more carefully for longer the growth is probably minimal but the stuff you buy from the shops is only chilled so is closer to being 'off' and won't last as long in the freezer.

I guess it's also possible that it has something to do with mince surface area. It's exposed to more bacteria that's why were advised to cook it thoroughly while we can eat steak rare.

That's my guess anyway.

Could be .There ian awful lot of surface area in a pun of mince .
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's dangerous to mess with the use-by dates on frozen produce, I wouldn't do it. Use-by dates on tins, pickles, dried foods etc are pretty arbitrary and can be broken safely, but not frozen.
  • molleymolley Posts: 25,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's dangerous to mess with the use-by dates on frozen produce, I wouldn't do it. Use-by dates on tins, pickles, dried foods etc are pretty arbitrary and can be broken safely, but not frozen.

Personally I wasn't suggesting that anyone messes with the useby dates .I was just wanting an answer as to why some frozen things can be kept for years and others only for a month ( as in fresh mince frozen) :)