Options

Laptop battery not recgnised?

Hi all,

My Dell Vostro 1000 laptop comes up with a message in DOS when it is starting up to say that the battery is not recognised and will not charge. Replace it with a dell battery (I'm paraphrasing). The strange thing is, it charges/discharges okay so I'm a little puzzled... At the moment, all I need to do is hit the spacebar and it starts up okay. However, I'm a bit worried that the probem may progress to something expensive!! :eek:

Any ideas??

Comments

• Options
    winactivewinactive Posts: 2,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

My Dell Vostro 1000 laptop comes up with a message in DOS when it is starting up to say that the battery is not recognised and will not charge. Replace it with a dell battery (I'm paraphrasing). The strange thing is, it charges/discharges okay so I'm a little puzzled... At the moment, all I need to do is hit the spacebar and it starts up okay. However, I'm a bit worried that the probem may progress to something expensive!! :eek:

Any ideas??

Dell batteries can be re-calibrated in the BIOS. I'd try that first.

F2 into setup and then look for the battery section. If it's there, you'll find it intuitive.
  • Options
    LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Inspiron 1501 did the same thing - a BIOS update cured it. In fact, sorting out this erroneous message was the only purpose of the update, as far as I could tell. It turns out the message was nonesense anyway, and the battery was indeed charging properly.

Check on the Dell website for a BIOS update for your machine.