Options

Newly quit smokers. Can we support each other?!

sinkingradiosinkingradio Posts: 1,459
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Myself and my partner both quit smoking on Monday and this is the first weekend without cigarettes. Ahh the weekend is SO hard! During the week we've got work to distract us but today I've been finding it really hard. I've only tried to quit once before (lasted four months). Finding today really hard. I'm being told all the usual cliches about how important it is, giving all the positive things about quitting. Not really helping but I'm determined not to cave in. Any smokers out there who've quit in the last week or so? How's it going for you?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to quit gradually, it's tough though. Because I just either drink a lot more or I stuff my face with junk food.

Why can't I be a gym bunny or something? :mad:
  • Options
    goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some incredibly strange reason, I found it extremely easy to quit smoking and haven't had any cravings or withdrawal since, and it was only in May I quit! :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    What a lovely thread. I wish you all well and hope to join you sometime
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    I'm on my twelth day of abstinence. I do get the odd craving, when I find having a few puffs on an ecig helps. I only smoked about 6-7 cigs a day, but had quite a routine, and sometimes it's difficult. I don't miss the morning coughing though, nor the smell, nor the dependency. I've decided never to smoke tobacco again, not even one. I hope I can remain strong!

Keep it up OP, well done so far:)
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quit over 8 years ago (I was a heavy, seriously addicted smoker).
    It does get easier, day by day.
    It is so worth it. Life is so much better as an ex smoker, or non smoker. Good luck to you and your partner, OP. It's a great idea to do it together.
    Puterkid, that's a great point about never smoking a single cigarette again. To me that is the best advice possible. I know I can never have 'just the one'. Good luck to you also.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck, great thread idea. I'm an ex-smoker, don't miss it. Its a perverse habit when you are a smoker, it smells, you smell, yet its incredibly satisfying for some reason. E-cigs helped me stop and I feel much better overall. Best wishes
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    I quit over 8 years ago (I was a heavy, seriously addicted smoker).
    It does get easier, day by day.
    It is so worth it. Life is so much better as an ex smoker, or non smoker. Good luck to you and your partner, OP. It's a great idea to do it together.
    Puterkid, that's a great point about never smoking a single cigarette again. To me that is the best advice possible. I know I can never have 'just the one'. Good luck to you also.

I'm over 8 years too DaisyBill.

I am always here (if needed) to support/encourage quitters. :)

You people who have just quit have made the best decisions of your life. I actually wouldn't smoke again if I was paid. Honestly! It is so liberating not to depend on nicotine. I am much more chilled out than I ever was as a smoker.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best of luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. Last night was the next 'test' - an evening with alcohol! I had an electronic cigarette which I honestly think without we both would have caved! Next test today is alcohol at pub with friends who smoke. This is going to be a tricky one!
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm now into my tenth smoke free month. I read Allen Carr and went cold turkey.

You may find reading the Allen Carr book helpful. It's the only thing that worked for me and I smoked 25 ish per day and smoked for 26 years. I don't miss smoking and I know I can never have a single cigarette again.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. Last night was the next 'test' - an evening with alcohol! I had an electronic cigarette which I honestly think without we both would have caved! Next test today is alcohol at pub with friends who smoke. This is going to be a tricky one!

Shouldn't be too bad. They'll have to sit outside to smoke anyway so it won't be like you're in a smoky atmosphere.

You could always change your routine and NOT go to the pub for a while.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually enjoy going to the pub more as a non smoker. It's nice not to have to go outside for a smoke all the time. I do seem to end up drunk a lot faster though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done all of you. Not a smoker myself, but lots of my family and friends are, so I've seen how hard it is for some people. Keep it up!
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am going into my 4th month on e cigs only. I have had people staying who did smoke and wasn't tempted to even have a puff on a real one. One thing I have found already is that I am getting out of the habit. I live in London and always used to light up as soon as I emerged from the tube, or got off the bus. Most of the time now, I don't even take a puff of the e-cig. No more "have to have a ciggy before . . . ". If I need a nicotine fix, I know I can have one wherever I am, so the panic you get without a cigarette goes away. Just keep it up. You are doing well so far.

The only down side for me is that my cat used to sleep on my bed every night. Now she has decamped to another room. Perhaps my real smell is worse than cigarettes :D:o
  • Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I might be stating the obvious but for the first weeks it might be best to deliberately avoid that kind of scenario.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffawkes wrote: »
    I might be stating the obvious but for the first weeks it might be best to deliberately avoid that kind of scenario.

I did think of that but I was determined not to let quitting smoking stop my social life right from the start. Thankfully it paid off, it was way easier than I thought it would be. I'm actually finding just being at home by myself during the day the hardest time. All I can think about is how easy it would be for me to pop down to the shops, buy a packet of cigarettes and not tell anyone. So far I've been able to resist the urge!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I quit last year (after over 40 years as a smoker) I left a pack of tobacco and some rizlas on my little table next to my armchair

I wanted to give up in the knowledge that I could just reach out and roll one up at any time.............like a test of willpower

The thinking was that if I could give up with cigarettes all around me I'd be less likely to cave in...........

Sounds perverse but it did work...........I finally chucked the baccy away about a month later when I was confident that I'd cracked it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did think of that but I was determined not to let quitting smoking stop my social life right from the start. Thankfully it paid off, it was way easier than I thought it would be. I'm actually finding just being at home by myself during the day the hardest time. All I can think about is how easy it would be for me to pop down to the shops, buy a packet of cigarettes and not tell anyone. So far I've been able to resist the urge!

The Allen Carr book advises you not to avoid social occasions but to get out and enjoy yourself as a non smoker.

I found being home alone quite hard at first. I always smoked outside and breaking the routine of stepping outside for a smoke was difficult. It's odd but very occasionally even now I sometimes think 'I'll just pop out for a ****' and then remember I don't smoke anymore!

You'll probably start having the dreams soon, where you've been smoking and they seem so real and in your dream you are so disappointed with yourself but then you wake up and feel so relieved that it was a dream and you haven't been anywhere near a cigarette :)
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Allen Carr book advises you not to avoid social occasions but to get out and enjoy yourself as a non smoker.

I found being home alone quite hard at first. I always smoked outside and breaking the routine of stepping outside for a smoke was difficult. It's odd but very occasionally even now I sometimes think 'I'll just pop out for a ****' and then remember I don't smoke anymore!

You'll probably start having the dreams soon, where you've been smoking and they seem so real and in your dream you are so disappointed with yourself but then you wake up and feel so relieved that it was a dream and you haven't been anywhere near a cigarette :)

I stopped many years ago after reading that book too.

The truth is, stopping smoking is purely mental and you really just have to make up your mind to stop. Compared to stopping other drugs it is a giggle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One of my friends who is an ex-smoker had a few dreams like that about a month after she quit. I'll be ready and waiting for that one!
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done everyone.

I stopped smoking on 19th June 2009, I unfortunately started smoking again on 27th June 2013. So I stopped for 4 years.

But I was a bad ex-smoker, I loved it, I missed it etc.
  • Options
    goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone.

I stopped smoking on 19th June 2009, I unfortunately started smoking again on 27th June 2013. So I stopped for 4 years.

Well done though for the 4 years you went without smoking! :cool:
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done though for the 4 years you went without smoking! :cool:

It wasn't completely without it tbh, the odd one here and there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone.

I have had my last one tonight, I really don't want to stop, it's just the cost of the habit!