Options

I Wish People Would Stop Posting Gruesome Threads

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
Forum Member
✭✭
with the details in the title.

I hate animal cruelty and try to avoid even going into those threads now - but if all the details are in the Title it's rather hard to avoid it.

Suppose I have to avoid the whole of General Discussion now as there is no ignoring these titles.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate it too. The subject upsets me so much so I don't read the threads but I find something insensitive and ghoulish about these threads that have overly graphic descriptions in the title, making it unavoidable for people like you and I.

It's almost like people get a kick out of starting these threads and being supposedly outraged about it.

I find it a bit odd.

I'll be avoiding the GD board too, OP, until it's calmed down.
  • Options
    ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well said both of you:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate it too. The subject upsets me so much so I don't read the threads but I find something insensitive and ghoulish about these threads that have overly graphic descriptions in the title, making it unavoidable for people like you and I.

It's almost like people get a kick out of starting these threads and being supposedly outraged about it.

I find it a bit odd.

I'll be avoiding the GD board too, OP, until it's calmed down.

I doubt it will calm down - there's usually about one a week - but granted at the moment it seems more like one a day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't like it .....
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't like it .....

That's that point, the description in the title....kinda unavoidable when reading a list of threads.

I've said similar before, and wish people wouldn't do it.
    "Animal cruelty thread" or some such would do, then those who want to indulge can, and those that don't can avoid the details.
  • Options
    Zoltan SmithZoltan Smith Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who else shall we also think about when making thread titles?
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think posting threads about gruesome animal deaths or cruelty is unnecessary.

It hardly provokes a discussion because everyone just agrees how ghastly it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who else shall we also think about when making thread titles?

A little thought from a thread maker beforehand wouldn't go amiss. In this particular instance a request/observation has been made so it'd be up to them to either take it on board or choose to ignore it (that's if they see it, of course).

There is no need to go into graphic detail in a thread title.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad someone else has mentioned this because I don't like it either when someone posts it in the title. I don't think it's necessary to do that. And we're constantly reminded of it the longer it stays on the first page. We need an ignore thread button.
  • Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I vote for an animal cruelty forum
  • Options
    dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP. Good point Halibutani!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be eye catching and intriguing in order to attract people to the nougat core that is a cat in a microwave or some such.
  • Options
    belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez some people...its just words on a digital page dunno how that can leave you all traumatised....
  • Options
    Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manufactured grue, scribbled by children to try and shock the grown-ups is one thing and should be weeded out, yes. But genuine grue, reflecting the nature of our society is a valid topic for a thread - the ostrich mentality is, in effect, showing complicity with the offenders and letting it carry on. Out of sight, out of mind does not mean it doesn't happen.
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is, if they don't put exactly what the subject is in the title then you may stumble in to it out of curiosity? At least by explicitly saying what the thread is about you know to avoid it. The suggestion of a 'animal cruelty' forum or thread is ridiculous - we don't need to sensationalise it like that.

I agree there have been a lot of stories recently - but that's thanks to the papers reporting it? It's up to the OP to make sure they don't make the title too graphic - and besides like somebody else said - if we start having to feel about which group will be offended by a certain subject, then we're going down a slippery slope on DS...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has to be eye catching and intriguing in order to attract people to the nougat core that is a cat in a microwave or some such.

Eyecatching and intriguing (to use your words) doesn't have to include graphic detail, unless the thead maker is too dumb to use language other than shock horror.

How's this: "Animal cruelty case, awful, just awful, please read at your peril".

That would be just as affective and get the desired response i.e. to make those interested in the gory details to click on the thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the suggestion of a general Animal Cruelty Thread to keep it all in one place is excellent, and should keep both "sides" happy.

I suppose I just don't see a need for thread after thread on what is essentially the very same thing.
  • Options
    cupoteacupotea Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. It's just a brief description of the event, not gory photos. In any case, the video in the cat thread is just an advert for a car. If someone is so sensitive that a thread title disturbs them than I wonder how they ever manage to watch the news.
  • Options
    belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cupotea wrote: »
    I disagree. It's just a brief description of the event, not gory photos. In any case, the video in the cat thread is just an advert for a car. If someone is so sensitive that a thread title disturbs them than I wonder how they ever manage to watch the news.

Exactly! You summed up my thoughts.

It just seems like the scared nanny thing when someone gets so disturbed they need to cry or something just from reading a line of words. Do you people never read newspapers etc.
  • Options
    *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like them either. I really don't want to know if an animal has been put in a microwave.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another way to look at it is if you know what the thread is about, you know not to click on it and read the whole story?
  • Options
    SnowfairySnowfairy Posts: 7,622
    Forum Member
    I just wish that the outraged people posting in such threads would realise that 99% of animal suffering, torture and death is directly due to the meat, dairy and egg industries that most of these very same people choose to support several times daily through their dietary and other choices.

Microwaving cats and drowning ponies (etc.) is causing horrendous unnecessary suffering, I agree. But so is supporting the needless torture and killing of 56 billion defenceless farmed animals every year.
  • Options
    AppleJuice:)AppleJuice:) Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This site could do with an ignore thread feature.
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snowfairy wrote: »
    I just wish that the outraged people posting in such threads would realise that 99% of animal suffering, torture and death is directly due to the meat, dairy and egg industries that most of these very same people choose to support several times daily through their dietary and other choices.

Microwaving cats and drowning ponies (etc.) is causing horrendous unnecessary suffering, I agree. But so is supporting the needless torture and killing of 56 billion defenceless farmed animals every year.

Stop with the propoganda. That has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread and you know it. If you want to discuss the treatment of farm animals, start another thread.

OP - I agree to a certain extent with what you are saying, but I do think cruelty stories should be posted, discussed and debated. The more people that are aware of these horrors, the more chance there is them of standing up, shouting that it is unacceptable and then doing something about it.
  • Options
    SnowfairySnowfairy Posts: 7,622
    Forum Member
    ejm wrote: »
    OP - I agree to a certain extent with what you are saying, but I do think cruelty stories should be posted, discussed and debated. The more people that are aware of these horrors, the more chance there is them of standing up, shouting that it is unacceptable and then doing something about it.

Just as long as your personal involvement in your preferred type of animal abuse isn't mentioned, eh... ;)

Yes, stand up, shout about it being unacceptable and then proceed to stick your fork into yet another tortured murder victim come dinner time...
This discussion has been closed.