Options

Channel 5 HD

Comments

• Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing that has changed with Channel 5 HD is the space required for recordings. This was regularly 5/6% for a one hour show and up to 4% for a 30 minute one. I reported on a thread in here a few weeks ago when these bit rates rocketed. As we record a lot of things from this channel we were running out of space every week thanks to these sudden increases.

However, last week they fell again - though not to BBC levels (ie 2% for a one hour show!). They are now at around 4% for the average hour - down on before but still a bit up on most HD channels.

These things might be to do with switches in transponders. So possibly last week there was another switch that might be creating the problems suggested here.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah just turned 5 on at 5pm this evening and it was asking for an upgrade to view it, I thought it was a glitch so I pulled the plug on it and then restarted it but no joy.

So looks like it's only 1-4 that's available free to view in HD. What a load of rubbish, there was only 5 to start with
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully they will go down the ITV 2 HD, ITV 3 HD and ITV 4 HD route and just be available to Sky subscribers with HD sub.
    Hopefully?
    One thing that has changed with Channel 5 HD is the space required for recordings. This was regularly 5/6% for a one hour show and up to 4% for a 30 minute one. I reported on a thread in here a few weeks ago when these bit rates rocketed. As we record a lot of things from this channel we were running out of space every week thanks to these sudden increases.

However, last week they fell again - though not to BBC levels (ie 2% for a one hour show!). They are now at around 4% for the average hour - down on before but still a bit up on most HD channels.

These things might be to do with switches in transponders. So possibly last week there was another switch that might be creating the problems suggested here.
    Still averaging 15 Mbps during an advert, not much has changed. 4-6% is within error really because it depends what is on the other channels on the transponder.
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 will start looking very isolated and silly (more than usual) when we have:

BBC 1 HD
    BBC 2 HD
    BBC 3 HD
    BBC 4 HD
    ITV HD
    Channel 4 HD
    Channel 5 Grotovision.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Well, if it has gone pay only, then its numbers will get even worse than they currently are.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peter05 wrote: »
    May be sky are getting ready to stop fsfs and people will need a subsciption to Watch any channels on sky as they seem to be arguing with the PSB's abouy how much they should pay
    It wouldn't surprise me if FSFS was canned as it's not a money earner for Sky and Freesat is now well established in that market. A current non sub Sky box would still allow you to view the FTA channels though.

It could be that FTV will disappear altogether and channels will either be FTA or subscription only.
  • Options
    MidZoneMidZone Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    According to Channel 5's twitter account they have now joined the HD pack - no more free HD from 5 - rob dogs!

So glad they advised all the viewers who now can't view anything recorded in HD.
  • Options
    90s fan90s fan Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    This year Sky's pay packages has see some changes, Box TV channels went FTA, but they added Film4 HD and now this to off-set the big loss.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Have a read of the reply Channel 5 gave on Twitter to someone asking about 5HD

https://twitter.com/channel5_tv/status/395248956030349313
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    MidZone wrote: »
    According to Channel 5's twitter account they have now joined the HD pack - no more free HD from 5 - rob dogs!

I won#t be surprised if ITV1 goes the same way. Terrestrial broadcasters in the US are earning hefty fees from cable providers and UK broadcasters are making noises about doing the same. Alternatively, the broadcasters could charge Sky to include them in their EPG listing, but remain FTA for Freesat.

So what's left on FTV now?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    riko wrote: »
    Pretty sure its not a glitch. As I said, skys website now shows that CH5 HD is part of EE+. References to free to air channels now all say 7 channels when they used to say 8.

Looks like its gone

I'd agree with that because it looks like 5HD is now being advertised as part of the range of Sky+ HD channels: http://www.sky.com/products/ways-to-watch/sky-plus-hd/ :eek:
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what's left on FTV now?
    These are the ones I've got listed-

Sony Movies
    Sony Movies+1
    Sky Poker.com
    LFCTV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Have a read of the reply Channel 5 gave on Twitter to someone asking about 5HD

https://twitter.com/channel5_tv/status/395248956030349313

And I bet they don't get any more replies. Typical Channel 5 treating their viewers like scum again.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digi Man wrote: »
    These are the ones I've got listed-

Sony Movies
    Sony Movies+1
    Sky Poker.com
    LFCTV

4Music and Sony TV too, I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Well, if it has gone pay only, then its numbers will get even worse than they currently are.

So down to about 3 then! :D

Channel 5 never seen to give the slightest shit about the viewers and just do anything and everything that generates money and sod the viewers and what they want.

But if they lose viewers then that will affect what they can charge for adverts so who will have the last laugh?
  • Options
    Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if they lose viewers then that will affect what they can charge for adverts so who will have the last laugh?
    Fair point, which is why I believe that those who own C5 will want the HD version on EPG 105 ASAP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is certainly a hot topic tonight on Sky, Broadcasting, Freesat and Freeview forums near you! :D
  • Options
    Jimbob91Jimbob91 Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies, seems strange that they've added it to the HD pack with no warning. The On Demand service was still allowing me to download and watch C5 programmes in HD a few hours ago if anybody can't bear to watch Neighbours in SD :D
  • Options
    TEOLTEOL Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    What a pile of wank I hope we do get those new BBC HD channels and maybe even a hand picked SKY Channel to make up fo rthe blow.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    And I bet they don't get any more replies. Typical Channel 5 treating their viewers like scum again.

I would be willing to bet that quite a few freesat from Sky viewers will be making their views on this unfortunate matter quite clear on Channel 5's Twitter feed, Facebook page and contact web form. I look forward to seeing some forthright comments in due course.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digi Man wrote: »
    Fair point, which is why I believe that those who own C5 will want the HD version on EPG 105 ASAP.
    Doubt it will happen while there's only a single version of 5-HD.

They would need another four 5-HD channels to cover all the current regional advertising variants they have in SD on 105.

Unless Sky are going to do all that for them I wouldn't expect it to move from 171 to 105 anytime soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would be willing to bet that quite a few freesat from Sky viewers will be making their views on this unfortunate matter quite clear on Channel 5's Twitter feed, Facebook page and contact web form. I look forward to seeing some forthright comments in due course.

Well I've already started. :o

But look how they treated people who wanted a Big Brother Live Feed. They removed all comments about it and got some people facebook accounts banned. That is the dirty way Channel 5 act.

Frankly, my dear, channel 5 don't give a flying ****! They won't reply and sit there laughing again.
  • Options
    stripestripe Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so lets get this straight, sky put up prices,,,we loose box sets and now 5hd,
    who do they think they are,,, british gas.

time i think to scrutinize what i watch i think,,,would freesat freetime be a better option?

and while i'm at it are there any better phone/broadband deals, haven't looked for years.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stripe wrote: »

Which package are you on? If you're a HD customer, you won't have lost 5HD. If you're not a HD customer, you've only lost something you weren't paying for.
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stripe wrote: »
    who do they think they are,,, british gas.

time i think to scrutinize what i watch i think,,,would freesat freetime be a better option?

and while i'm at it are there any better phone/broadband deals, haven't looked for years.

To be fair, it will be Channel 5 that have made this decision, not Sky.