Doctor Who won't have another multi-Doctor storyline for 47 years!

dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
Forum Member
Remember 'The Day of the Doctor' three years ago, when all incarnations of the Doctor teamed up to save Gallifrey?

We did do that in 'The Day of the Doctor'. They all fly in to save Gallifrey

Saw this article on the DS this morning and really I have to wonder what Moffatt is smoking. Actually in Day of the doctor he didnt get all incarnations there. he only tried Matt, David Tom & John.

There were no classic doctors it was just archival footage and a lot of fans said they were just celebrating new who.

Now until you get Davison, Colin, McGann & McCoy in the new who era then yes you can call it a multi doctor story.

Comments

• DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this article on the DS this morning and really I have to wonder what Moffatt is smoking. Actually in Day of the doctor he didnt get all incarnations there. he only tried Matt, David Tom & John.

There were no classic doctors it was just archival footage and a lot of fans said they were just celebrating new who.

Now until you get Davison, Colin, McGann & McCoy in the new who era then yes you can call it a multi doctor story.

Well in less than a year it becomes Chris Chibnall's plaything anyway, Moffatt becomes history and his view on multi-doctor specials becomes moot
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

He didn't get all the actors, and we may not have seen them in detail - but in terms of the plot, all the incarnations did contribute.
  • VGKidVGKid Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We'll probably have one for the 60th anniversary
  • Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VGKid wrote: »

Oh without a shadow of a doubt.

Incidentally, I class The Two Doctors as a multi-Doctor story, so having any one of the past Doctors making a guest appearance before the 60th is a possibility under CC.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even as a massive C20 Who fan, this just isn't going to happen.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am i missing something? How does the thread title relate to what is being discussed?
  • POTDPOTD Posts: 9,869
    Forum Member
    Oh without a shadow of a doubt.

Incidentally, I class The Two Doctors as a multi-Doctor story, so having any one of the past Doctors making a guest appearance before the 60th is a possibility under CC.

Time Crash (written by Moff) is similar
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    Am i missing something? How does the thread title relate to what is being discussed?

It's a quote from this non article on DS
  • Nelson_De_SouzaNelson_De_Souza Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think the show will be on air by that point if I'm honest. Between now and 2023 a lot can happen. I just think it'll run out of steam within the next few years and be rested once more for a while. I'm saying this as a fan as well, but I'm just thinking realistically. It will had a good run if it ends again before 2023.

If it is rested before the 60th, then someone will bring it back once more in the future and it starts all over again. I don't think it's a show with a definitive end date, but I feel its closer to the end in its present form than its beginning now if you ask me.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like them to do an animated adventure for the 60th then they can include all the doctors.
  • SalcySalcy Posts: 4,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the show will be on air by that point if I'm honest. Between now and 2023 a lot can happen. I just think it'll run out of steam within the next few years and be rested once more for a while. I'm saying this as a fan as well, but I'm just thinking realistically. It will had a good run if it ends again before 2023.

If it is rested before the 60th, then someone will bring it back once more in the future and it starts all over again. I don't think it's a show with a definitive end date, but I feel its closer to the end in its present form than its beginning now if you ask me.

I think it will probably end as a TV show before then, and they might do a film for the 60th.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    It's quite strange that since we have known about Moffat's departure, he seems to be quoted more frequently making comments about his view about the future of the show, and people who know he is leaving and will have nothing to do with the future he is commenting on, keep taking stock in his comments anyway. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with him speculating or giving an opinion, but thats all it is, an opinion from someone who will have no involvement whatsoever.

I'd agree that it would be less special if they did it every year, but it would be nice for the 60th. Ten years gap is still a rare event.

Well considering it was said not too long ago that it's future was secured up until 2020, then even if it were to end then, it would have only been gone as a regular show 3 years by the time of it's 60th, and as such the bbc would probably still be willing to let it have a special.

I personally don't see it going off air before the 60th though. The show was brought back in 2005 as a version of the show, updated for today's more demanding tv audience, then what it was changed again a few years later, and for better or worse it was different to what had come before, and now, as of 2018, it will change style and substance again, whilst remaining at it's core the show it has always been.

The point being, the show manages to re-invent itself whilst being so clearly the same thing so often, that it doesn't get chance to be stale for more than a few years. If one era is getting stale, a new era comes right along.

As such, it's my view that if Moffat were staying indefinitely, i'd agree that it would probably be a struggle to get the show to it's 60th, but as it is about to be renewed once again, and may even have another showrunner after Chibnall before the 60th occurs, then I think someone would have to do something seriously, seriously wrong to get it completely cancelled in the next 7 years (like making the writer of In the Forest of the Night showrunner for example :D).
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Salcy wrote: »
    I think it will probably end as a TV show before then, and they might do a film for the 60th.

If Doctor Who is good at anything, it's regeneration. My only hope is that the show gets a good overhaul and continues with A1 actors. There are plenty of innovative writers out there yet to be discovered.

Chibnall might be the best thing for it, as Moff, imo, is getting a bit to JNTy for me. I only hope that it doesn't become a joke
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member

And hire Terrance Dicks to write it!
  • Nelson_De_SouzaNelson_De_Souza Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well considering it was said not too long ago that it's future was secured up until 2020, then even if it were to end then, it would have only been gone as a regular show 3 years by the time of it's 60th, and as such the bbc would probably still be willing to let it have a special.

I personally don't see it going off air before the 60th though. The show was brought back in 2005 as a version of the show, updated for today's more demanding tv audience, then what it was changed again a few years later, and for better or worse it was different to what had come before, and now, as of 2018, it will change style and substance again, whilst remaining at it's core the show it has always been.

The point being, the show manages to re-invent itself whilst being so clearly the same thing so often, that it doesn't get chance to be stale for more than a few years. If one era is getting stale, a new era comes right along.

As such, it's my view that if Moffat were staying indefinitely, i'd agree that it would probably be a struggle to get the show to it's 60th, but as it is about to be renewed once again, and may even have another showrunner after Chibnall before the 60th occurs, then I think someone would have to do something seriously, seriously wrong to get it completely cancelled in the next 7 years (like making the writer of In the Forest of the Night showrunner for example :D).

I like your optimism but the issue of course could all be down to internal politics within the BBC. None of us know who will be in charge of it by that time and for all we know they could detest the show despite what it brings to the organisation. If they say, it's a no.

The state of TV could be very different by that time too...

By 2020, it will have been back 15 years which is a heck of a long time now in TV terms for any show. They all need a rest somewhere along the line and even if Chibnall's tenure is a success (obviously I hope it is) I can still see if being eased for a few years to give it that rest.

Public appetite for it then might come back with people (outside of the fandom) saying they'd like it back and that's when it could be considered for a return again.

As I say, I like your optimism. I'm just always more negatively minded though, so I'm never sure of things like this in such a positive light.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    I like your optimism but the issue of course could all be down to internal politics within the BBC. None of us know who will be in charge of it by that time and for all we know they could detest the show despite what it brings to the organisation. If they say, it's a no.

The state of TV could be very different by that time too...

By 2020, it will have been back 15 years which is a heck of a long time now in TV terms for any show. They all need a rest somewhere along the line and even if Chibnall's tenure is a success (obviously I hope it is) I can still see if being eased for a few years to give it that rest.

Public appetite for it then might come back with people (outside of the fandom) saying they'd like it back and that's when it could be considered for a return again.

As I say, I like your optimism. I'm just always more negatively minded though, so I'm never sure of things like this in such a positive light.
    I agree that saying it might be rested by then is more realism than straight up negativity, and also your right to say that no-one knows the tv situation, but I was just thinking that there are a number of bbc shows that have finished their run as regular series, only to come back multiple times for specials (take the royle family as just one example, which came back many times for Christmas specials, despite having finished its run as a series many years before they stopped) and would like to hopefully think that if the bbc had done with it as a series after it's 2020 run, they might at least wean us off in the form of just a Christmas special every year for a few years (and/or a 60th in 2023) until stopping completely. Considering the profile new who has had, it would seem unthinkable at the moment that it could be here one year, then just completely gone the next to be rested indefinitely.

They did do dimensions in time in 1993 after all. Ok, it was a charity skit, and it was pretty pant's, but it was still some sort of 30th for a show that had been cancelled 4 years earlier.

Also, yes 15 years is a long time, but is it such a long time for who? what I mean to say is, was the show looking stale in 1978? I'm inclined to think not as it was the midst of the Tom Baker era which is so highly regarded by so many, and it lasted another 11 years after that. I understand tv is very different these days, but my point is that Doctor who, to me at least seems to be one of those shows that just achieve's longevity with more ease than other shows.

Of course it's a little too optimistic for anyone to just think it will run forever, but seeing that it's future is guaranteed until 2020, I don't think it's too overly optimistic to think or hope that maybe it can still be hanging on in some form 3 years after that.

Personally I'm hoping it will match the 26 years of classic who at least, but I also understand that tv is way more competitive now than it was then.

P.s imagine it was rested and then brought back many years later. All of us currently watching now might jokingly refer to the third generation of who as 'new, new who(like a combo of a new earth reference and a reference to what the second generation was called)' and all those fresh faced youngsters at that time will be saying:

Person 1: Why do some call it that?

Person 2: Oh, I don't know, just some private joke the old duffers use from back in the really old stuff in the early 2000's.

and at that point I would feel totally ancient :D:D
  • POTDPOTD Posts: 9,869
    Forum Member
    One thing to bear in mind is its importance to the BBC in Cardiff, and indeed to the Cardiff TV industry.

It's not like the old days when hundreds of different programmes shared TV Centre, Roath Lock studios have Doctor Who, Casualty and a Welsh language soap opera, with Doctor Who being the most prestigious show made there. Cancelling Doctor Who without an equivalent replacement would cause a massive political storm!
  • Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And hire Terrance Dicks to write it!

I can't see an 88 year old writing draft after draft and then finalising a tight 90 minute drama come 2023.
    Although I'm prepared to be proved wrong by Uncle Tel.
  • Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sean Pertwee would be able to recreate the Third Doctor in the show - and by all accounts not only would he love to, but they'd like him to when he can fit it in. And surely it won't be much longer before the techie bods can recreate digitally the first and second doctors, and their successors. So I'm sure there'll be something special for the 60th anniversary.

Which you may not want to watch because you'll be at the cinema watching new films featuring 'Humphrey Bogart', 'Marilyn Monroe', etc. etc.