Starbucks - asking your name

13»

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The ad's they've run showed how they put a tremendous amount of effort, time, and money in to their coffee. I don't know if McDonald's does breakfast over there, but over here the line's are always longest in the morning's, not just for the coffee, who doesn't love a Sausage McMuffin but it's a huge part of their breakfast offering.

They do "breakfast". I can't say it has interested me.
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McDonalds breakfasts are good especially the new breakfast wrap and when I'm travelling its a must have and I agree about the coffee being excellent and usually end up with a couple of cups when I am in for breakfast.

Can't say I'm a fan of Starbucks coffee either and for what it is find it extremely overpriced.and personally think it is very overrated and not that great a quality. If I go to the chains it usually tends to be Costa. It also helps that Costa keep sending me emails with double point offers so I rack up points quicker and get more free drinks.

I'm not a huge fan of the giving your name but can't see why people are getting so offended by it just don't give your real name if you feel so strongly about it. I can kind of understand the logic behind why it is being done as companies are always trying to find a way of getting the customers on their side over a competitor and by personalising a service that could be seen as doing that.

I do think some posters are a bit stuck in the past with the notion that because we are in UK that we are above this because it is not the British way so what times change there are plenty of words from other countries/languages that have made it into commonplace language I found this quote when looking up the definition
    The word barista is of Italian origin, and in Italian, a barista is a male or female "bartender", who typically works behind a counter, serving both hot drinks (such as espresso), and cold alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, not a coffee-maker specifically.

I would say that barista is a perfectly acceptable term to use here as coffee is served from behind a counter and they sell other hot drinks hot chocolate, tea etc and cold drinks i.e the iced coffees soft drinks and so on only difference is they don't generally sell alcoholic drinks.

Starbucks is an American company so like a lot of American companies based here we will have the ideals they have and from my experiences in America it is all about the customer. I don't think its entirely a bad thing maybe a little bit forced in some cases especially if the staff aren't comfortable with doing it but it makes a change from being treated simply as more money in the till and sometimes with nothing but contempt from the servers although I have nothing but respect for any retail servers and what they put up with from customers just commenting that being treated as a human rather than profit is nice as sometimes that is how it feels with some shops and companies.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Like I said, we ain't in Italy :) In America I could expect it, I have lived there (and had a wonderful time), in the UK? No, they are coffee bar assistants. I don't care much about giving my name, you don't have to give your real one do you but then I don't go in these places so its all academic really.

The likes of Starbucks have done the States good in terms of getting a 'good' coffee to drink, thirty years ago most coffee over there was like hot pee, its getting better out there but still has a long way to go to catch up with many parts of Europe where good coffee is just the standard norm.

Did you ever make it to the Pacific Northwest? Attended a cupping at one of the many small batch roasters? I promise you, the coffee being served in Seattle and Portland alone, can easily stand up to anything Europe has to offer. Same goes for our beer and chocolate.

If you object to braista so strongly, then don't say it. Are you going to find another word for espresso too, since you're not in Italy? I really don't understand the insular, snooty attitude in this thread, but there you go.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    because it's fakery. Awful insincere corporate faux-chumminess.
    Sinks like a brick in the UK.... and so it should.

Fakery? They want to know what to call out when your order is up. I see it all the time in coffee shops and sandwich shops in the US. Same with restaurants when there's a wait.

"My god, they want to know my name and how many are in my party! Such corporate fakery!"
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Something like that is on the OH wish list as well

Using one of them is real skill, a mate of mine got one which is where I saw one and wanted one. He can't use it his wife uses it, and have taught me to use it, but I don't get enough practice.

His wife is Japanese and she makes a great cup of coffee from it, which is strange as she never drank coffee until she came to this country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have a McD's coffee over a Starbucks any day of the week. The McD's coffee is surprisingly excellent.

Not been in a mucky D for over 20 years to be honest, but knowing them they just press a button on a machine and it plops some fluid into a cup.

i can't see them standing by a coffee machine for a few mins making it by hand as everything else there is quickly done.

but i could be wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ad's they've run showed how they put a tremendous amount of effort, time, and money in to their coffee. I don't know if McDonald's does breakfast over there, but over here the line's are always longest in the morning's, not just for the coffee, who doesn't love a Sausage McMuffin but it's a huge part of their breakfast offering.

20 years, over 20 years since I been in a mucky D, they was not that great then and I doubt they are any better now.

My cousin when she comes over from the states stay well clear of them, if she wants a burger she prefer to go into a local cafe opposite and get a decent one.

Proves that not all Amercians are forced fed Mucky Ds and other large chain fast food outlets
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Fakery? They want to know what to call out when your order is up. I see it all the time in coffee shops and sandwich shops in the US. Same with restaurants when there's a wait.

"My god, they want to know my name and how many are in my party! Such corporate fakery!"

This is not the U.S as i keep telling people, we are also not France, Germany, spain, Italy or any other country, this is the UK. Just because another country does something, don't mean we have to.

It think it is fakery myself as well. They never done it before so why start now? thankfully I don't go into starbucks, but next week i will be having a few cups of coffee in Neros.

Saying that I am on first name terms with one of the barista there as I go in there often. but that is because I am a friendly person and get talking.
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yup....the breakfasts are ok. I'd rather have a decent cafe breakfast, but sometimes when you're somewhere in the country where you don't know of any good cafes then a McD's breakfast does the trick. That's the advantage they have, they are everywhere and you know what you're going to get.
    Tiggergirl wrote: »
    McDonalds breakfasts are good especially the new breakfast wrap and when I'm travelling its a must have and I agree about the coffee being excellent and usually end up with a couple of cups when I am in for breakfast.

The coffee is great....I find it handy because I can grab a cup on the way to work without getting out of the car!! :o

Also, the one I pass on the way to work is 24 hour and because I like to head into work early, it's quite often the only place open at 7am....most local coffee shops don't open until 8 or 9.

I've never actually done it, but apparently you can get a free refill on your coffee in McD's if you ask. They don't advertise it, but they're obliged by a policy to do so.
    epicurian wrote: »
    Did you ever make it to the Pacific Northwest? Attended a cupping at one of the many small batch roasters? I promise you, the coffee being served in Seattle and Portland alone, can easily stand up to anything Europe has to offer. Same goes for our beer and chocolate.

Never been to Portland...but the coffee in Seattle is outstanding! I have to say, I find a lot of American coffee not the best, but I guess it depends where you go...like anywhere.
    noise747 wrote: »
    Not been in a mucky D for over 20 years to be honest, but knowing them they just press a button on a machine and it plops some fluid into a cup.

i can't see them standing by a coffee machine for a few mins making it by hand as everything else there is quickly done.

but i could be wrong.
    20 years, over 20 years since I been in a mucky D, they was not that great then and I doubt they are any better now.

My cousin when she comes over from the states stay well clear of them, if she wants a burger she prefer to go into a local cafe opposite and get a decent one.

Proves that not all Amercians are forced fed Mucky Ds and other large chain fast food outlets

I really don't see, given you haven't been for 20 years, why you feel you can give such a forthright opinion. Also, your referral to McD's as "mucky D" proves that you clearly dislike the company and so are offering up bias opinion....much like the people on the broadcasting forums who refer to $ky.

Also, I dare say that many cafes up and down the country use much poorer quality ingredients than McD's....reason being that they are so big that they are under so much scrutiny.

And finally....their coffee is good, and it's widely accepted as being so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really don't see, given you haven't been for 20 years, why you feel you can give such a forthright opinion. Also, your referral to McD's as "mucky D" proves that you clearly dislike the company and so are offering up bias opinion....much like the people on the broadcasting forums who refer to $ky.

i don't think much have changed in 20 years. Coffee may have got better, but then 20 years ago most places made horrid coffee. The burgers, if that what you want to call them are no different now than there was 20 years ago. the fries are still thin hard potato type things that are over salted, no doubt the cheese is still processed rubbish.

Saying that I went to a Burger king a couple of years back in Cardiff and they seem to have gone to the dogs, i know their cheese is processed, but their chips are now American style fries. When i went a few years before to a burger king in Wales they had proper chips.

I did like MD apple pie type thing and their milk shakes mind you.

I got nothing against the company as such, the Mucky D thing came alone when I was walking down a ally way next to our local one, and the mess from their rubbish and then going into the the street behind the building the stench was vile. I was with a friend at the time and said Mucky D is really Mucky today and it stuck.

MD is the same as most large fast food companies, get it out as fast as possible and give people junk.

Not saying there is anything wrong with having a mcDonalds, subway, SFC now and again, but some people seems to live on them.
    Also, I dare say that many cafes up and down the country use much poorer quality ingredients than McD's....reason being that they are so big that they are under so much scrutiny.

That cafe I was on about i must admit needs a bit of decorating job, but the burgers are great, big thick burger, with proper cheese and a proper burger bap. Chips are real chips, nice thick ones.

Sure you pay a bit more, but it is worth it, at least you know you had food. Not that I go int here that often, I don't go into any cafe that often.

I have a coffee if i am with someone in town, but not really a cafe person.

No doubt you are right there are cafes around with poorer ingredients.

And finally....their coffee is good, and it's widely accepted as being so.

As i said no doubt made by a machine. i have drunk good coffee and i have drank very good coffee.

A local coffee bar makes very good coffee, he is Italian and he really knows how to make coffee. the problem is it is a bit of a way out of the city centre.

I like Nero coffee, it is nice, but that is it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't think much have changed in 20 years. Coffee may have got better, but then 20 years ago most places made horrid coffee. The burgers, if that what you want to call them are no different now than there was 20 years ago. the fries are still thin hard potato type things that are over salted, no doubt the cheese is still processed rubbish.

But how do you know?! If you haven't been in 20 years then you couldn't possibly have any idea of what their food is now like. Admittedly, it isn't exactly gourmet, but I really don't think they're as bad as they're made out to be.
    Saying that I went to a Burger king a couple of years back in Cardiff and they seem to have gone to the dogs, i know their cheese is processed, but their chips are now American style fries. When i went a few years before to a burger king in Wales they had proper chips.

IMO, Burger Kings burgers are good, but the rest is pretty poor. I also don't know why you are so annoyed about their "chips" (applies to McD's too). They don't sell "chips", they sell "fries" which are thin and not "proper chips".
    I did like MD apple pie type thing and their milk shakes mind you.

Haven't had an Apple Pie in years but their milkshakes are pretty good. Although I do prefer milkshakes from other places.

I got nothing against the company as such, the Mucky D thing came alone when I was walking down a ally way next to our local one, and the mess from their rubbish and then going into the the street behind the building the stench was vile. I was with a friend at the time and said Mucky D is really Mucky today and it stuck.

MD is the same as most large fast food companies, get it out as fast as possible and give people junk.

Not saying there is anything wrong with having a mcDonalds, subway, SFC now and again, but some people seems to live on them.

I was just commenting that your constant use of the phrase "Mucky D" comes across like you really do have a problem with it....it comes across as quite petty, if I'm honest. I agree....I don't eat in these places that often either, but I do drink the coffee from McD's quite regularly and it is good.
    That cafe I was on about i must admit needs a bit of decorating job, but the burgers are great, big thick burger, with proper cheese and a proper burger bap. Chips are real chips, nice thick ones.

Sure you pay a bit more, but it is worth it, at least you know you had food. Not that I go int here that often, I don't go into any cafe that often.

I have a coffee if i am with someone in town, but not really a cafe person.

No doubt you are right there are cafes around with poorer ingredients.

Maybe the cafe you are on about is a good one....but most cafes probably serve food that uses a poorer standard of ingredients than McD's. I've seen many cafes using frozen burgers, baps, big frozen bags of chips, deep frying bacon and sausages, etc!
    As i said no doubt made by a machine. i have drunk good coffee and i have drank very good coffee.

A local coffee bar makes very good coffee, he is Italian and he really knows how to make coffee. the problem is it is a bit of a way out of the city centre.

I like Nero coffee, it is nice, but that is it.

If you like Nero, you obviously have good taste in coffee. And I'd guess that you also like pretty strong coffee? In any case, I find McD's coffee pretty acceptable for a morning caffeine fix. Give it a go...you might be surprised.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jeez. The fact that you even required "proof" speaks volumes. But I do remember in another thread, you made that bold, blanket statement, "American food is pretty awful", and to add insult to injury, you appeared ignorant of the fact that Creole and Cajun are from the U.S. Then when someone mentioned American BBQ you countered it by saying your friend told you Australian BBQ is the best... again, no first-hand experience. An interesting way of forming opinions, but whatever floats your boat! :D

@big_hard_lad: I totally agree about Seattle coffee, and of course, I'm not at all biased. ;) Did you try Vivace or Victrola by chance?

And back to the name thing, I really wish people would lighten up-- it's not as though they're asking for your first born. And if it means fewer mix ups, then all the better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @big_hard_lad: I totally agree about Seattle coffee, and of course, I'm not at all biased. ;) Did you try Vivace or Victrola by chance?

I honestly couldn't tell you where the coffee came from....I was there with work and a guy in the office used to do a coffee run a couple of times a day. I was only there for 2 days, but I always remember the coffee was outstanding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But how do you know?! If you haven't been in 20 years then you couldn't possibly have any idea of what their food is now like. Admittedly, it isn't exactly gourmet, but I really don't think they're as bad as they're made out to be.

i did have a couple of their fries a year or so back and they tasted the same as they was 20 years ago, tasteless and over salted.

i also been told they have not changed in all thos years, by people who uses them.
    IMO, Burger Kings burgers are good, but the rest is pretty poor. I also don't know why you are so annoyed about their "chips" (applies to McD's too). They don't sell "chips", they sell "fries" which are thin and not "proper chips".

Their burgers are ok, still not enough to feed a mouse mind you. the only reason I went in one in Cardiff was because I was waiting for a train home and realised I have not Satan anything since i got their and their is a Burger king next tot he train station.

BG used to sell proper chips and then they got taken over by a Amercian company again and went to fries.
    unless that one Bg i went to years ago just did chips and the other did fries.
    Haven't had an Apple Pie in years but their milkshakes are pretty good. Although I do prefer milkshakes from other places.

Not really sure if you can call them pies, but I did like them. i used to go in MD about once a week with friends when the one here first opened, then I just stopped going and as i said been about 20 years since I last stepped foot in there.

the only MD i been in since is on a motorway service on the way back from Mablethorpe about 8 years ago and that was to use their toilets, never had anything from there.

I was just commenting that your constant use of the phrase "Mucky D" comes across like you really do have a problem with it....it comes across as quite petty, if I'm honest. I agree....I don't eat in these places that often either, but I do drink the coffee from McD's quite regularly and it is good.

just a habit now.

Maybe the cafe you are on about is a good one....but most cafes probably serve food that uses a poorer standard of ingredients than McD's. I've seen many cafes using frozen burgers, baps, big frozen bags of chips, deep frying bacon and sausages, etc!

no doubt the burgers are frozen as are the chips, but they don't deep fry Bacon or sausages.

i would expect MD burgers are frozen as well, the fires, well i think they are made from waste potatoes as they are not cut from potatoes, you can tell that.
    If you like Nero, you obviously have good taste in coffee. And I'd guess that you also like pretty strong coffee? In any case, I find McD's coffee pretty acceptable for a morning caffeine fix. Give it a go...you might be surprised.

I know what good coffee is like, Neros is ok coffee for what it is, better than the other large chains and yes I do like strong coffee.

i doubt i will be giving MD coffee a try anytime soon, they sell it in paper cups, can never drink coffee from paper cups.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez. The fact that you even required "proof" speaks volumes. But I do remember in another thread, you made that bold, blanket statement, "American food is pretty awful",

it looks awful and the stuff we have over here is awful.
    and to add insult to injury, you appeared ignorant of the fact that Creole and Cajun are from the U.S.

Never said they was, my cousin is Amercian, which is why I said it proves that not all Amercians are forced fed MD as she preferred the smaller cafe.

Maybe running a restaurant herself makes he think more about good food.,
    Then when someone mentioned American BBQ you countered it by saying your friend told you Australian BBQ is the best... again, no first-hand experience. An interesting way of forming opinions, but whatever floats your boat! :D

i don't remember that, but I may have.

since I never been to America or Australia, i would not really have first had experience would I
    And back to the name thing, I really wish people would lighten up-- it's not as though they're asking for your first born. And if it means fewer mix ups, then all the better.
    Maybe not, but that is not the point.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,509
    Forum Member

If you object to braista so strongly, then don't say it. Are you going to find another word for espresso too, since you're not in Italy? I really don't understand the insular, snooty attitude in this thread, but there you go.

Not made it there yet but have done Route 66 so travelled through (with side trips) 15 states, visited 6 states in the New England area and the Californian coast, inland (Yosemite), Nevada and Utah - not found one decent cup of coffee yet. There was one place as we approached the LA environs - something Beancup Co. where it was just about ok but not great.
    The best coffee I have ever had in America was in Disney's Animal Kingdom in Orlando of all the strange places :confused:- a very small, not often open, cart that sold "shade grown African" coffee - outstanding:D

We hope to travel to the Pacific Northwest and so very willing to sample the coffee there.

Oh and as real ale lovers, my partner and I would agree that beer is getting better in the US. Small breweries making really good stuff in places. We were also very surprised at the quality of some Utah wine we had.
    As for chocolate - not getting any better (that I have tried) yet and don't get me started on cheese!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    Not made it there yet but have done Route 66 so travelled through (with side trips) 15 states, visited 6 states in the New England area and the Californian coast, inland (Yosemite), Nevada and Utah - not found one decent cup of coffee yet. There was one place as we approached the LA environs - something Beancup Co. where it was just about ok but not great.
    The best coffee I have ever had in America was in Disney's Animal Kingdom in Orlando of all the strange places :confused:- a very small, not often open, cart that sold "shade grown African" coffee - outstanding:D

We hope to travel to the Pacific Northwest and so very willing to sample the coffee there.

Oh and as real ale lovers, my partner and I would agree that beer is getting better in the US. Small breweries making really good stuff in places. We were also very surprised at the quality of some Utah wine we had.
    As for chocolate - not getting any better (that I have tried) yet and don't get me started on cheese!

As if I haven't already flogged this dead horse enough. :D Starting with the chocolate: There was an international competition in London recently, judged by Michel Roux, and going by the results, I think he'd disagree with your analysis. I doubt most people here have ever had Theo's, Askinos, ScharffenBerger, Amano, or any of the other artisan-produced chocolate in the U.S. Industrial crap like Hersheys, Galaxy, Dairy Milk or Snickers doesn't count in my book, in case that's the kind of chocolate you were thinking of. Beer? Michael Jackson, the "beer hunter", not the singer, was ahead of his time when it comes to British attitudes it seems, because it was years ago that he wrote American cities now offer a diversity of beer styles far greater than that to be found in any single European country. He was British and a great fan of American beer. I took that quote by the way from my CAMRA Guide to the West Coast [of the U.S.]. That's 500 craft breweries on the West Coast alone. Honestly, though, I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised you can get good wine in the U.S. And just like in Britain, you have to know where to go to get good coffee. I've been served some dire stuff over here as well. Even my first time in Barcelona, the gastronomes' paradise, we failed to research and plan, and the result was some seriously disappointing eats. But I'd have been out of my mind to go away thinking that was the best they have to offer.

There is a certain cadre who will turn their nose up at anything American. I've seen it over and over again since living here, and the same old misconceptions and outdated stereotypes get repeated ad nauseam. That's not a criticism directed only at Britons, btw. People the world over are guilty of stereotyping. But I suspect I'm seeing a little, if not a lot of that stuffiness reflected in this name thing at Starbucks. I doubt there'd be quite so many complaining if it were Costa or Nero doing it.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,509
    Forum Member
    As if I haven't already flogged this dead horse enough. :D Starting with the chocolate: There was an international competition in London recently, judged by Michel Roux, and going by the results, I think he'd disagree with your analysis. I doubt most people here have ever had Theo's, Askinos, ScharffenBerger, Amano, or any of the other artisan-produced chocolate in the U.S. Industrial crap like Hersheys, Galaxy, Dairy Milk or Snickers doesn't count in my book, in case that's the kind of chocolate you were thinking of. Beer? Michael Jackson, the "beer hunter", not the singer, was ahead of his time when it comes to British attitudes it seems, because it was years ago that he wrote American cities now offer a diversity of beer styles far greater than that to be found in any single European country. He was British and a great fan of American beer. I took that quote by the way from my CAMRA Guide to the West Coast [of the U.S.]. That's 500 craft breweries on the West Coast alone. Honestly, though, I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised you can get good wine in the U.S. And just like in Britain, you have to know where to go to get good coffee. I've been served some dire stuff over here as well. Even my first time in Barcelona, the gastronomes' paradise, we failed to research and plan, and the result was some seriously disappointing eats. But I'd have been out of my mind to go away thinking that was the best they have to offer.

There is a certain cadre who will turn their nose up at anything American. I've seen it over and over again since living here, and the same old misconceptions and outdated stereotypes get repeated ad nauseam. That's not a criticism directed only at Britons, btw. People the world over are guilty of stereotyping. But I suspect I'm seeing a little, if not a lot of that stuffiness reflected in this name thing at Starbucks. I doubt there'd be quite so many complaining if it were Costa or Nero doing it.

You are flogging a dead horse as far as chocolate is concerned with this poster.
    I am not a chocolate connosseur and actually prefer Cadburys/Galaxy to any Belgian/Swiss/Luxury/Premium brand:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    You are flogging a dead horse as far as chocolate is concerned with this poster.
    I am not a chocolate connosseur and actually prefer Cadburys/Galaxy to any Belgian/Swiss/Luxury/Premium brand:D

Haha! Fair enough! :D
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it looks awful and the stuff we have over here is awful.

Never said they was, my cousin is Amercian, which is why I said it proves that not all Amercians are forced fed MD as she preferred the smaller cafe.

Maybe running a restaurant herself makes he think more about good food.,

i don't remember that, but I may have.

since I never been to America or Australia, i would not really have first had experience would I

Maybe not, but that is not the point.

You've done the McDonalds rant in the past and got shot down in flames over your ignorance of the food and the quality of the ingredients they use. I don't like the burgers but some of their other products are fine for a quick energy fix and the coffee is not bad. One thing for sure is that the standard of hygiene is very high.

America has a full range of food, from the Golden Arches, Wendy, all you can eat places and the humble diner through to top end restaurants. The quality of food in the States is like here, goes the full range from poor to first class and not all Americans live on junk, my friends certainly don't.

You need to save up and leave the UK for a while, go and experience things first hand before you go shouting off broad statements that are without foundation or validity. Many of your posts are deliberately argumentative and tiresome, verging on trolling in some cases, stick to what you know for fact and stop relying on the old 'my mate says' nonsense as the basis for your dictates.
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    That's 500 craft breweries on the West Coast alone.

On top of that, brewpubs are becoming very popular. A brewpub is a bar that brews its own beer on the premises.

There are a couple in my town, but the best one is Gentle Ben's.. as you can see they brew 10 different beers, and covers the gamut from IPAs to oatmeal stouts. You can't buy these beers anywhere but in that single bar.. and they're only available on tap, no bottles.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    On top of that, brewpubs are becoming very popular. A brewpub is a bar that brews its own beer on the premises.

There are a couple in my town, but the best one is Gentle Ben's.. as you can see they brew 10 different beers, and covers the gamut from IPAs to oatmeal stouts. You can't buy these beers anywhere but in that single bar.. and they're only available on tap, no bottles.

As you mentioned it one of 'my mates' in the States has worked for Uncle Sam a long long time and is only a year or so from pulling his pension. He's really involved in home brewing at a hobby level to the extent that his garage is now nothing short of being a micro brewery. He's looking at moving somewhere from New Jersey and at how he can develop his brewing into not only a hobby but something that will generate a little income.

The movement is growing in the UK too
    http://www.british-beers.co.uk/ long may the trend continue.
  • peacelilypeacelily Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    What in the name of all that is corporate evil is this?

I went into Starbucks the other day and they asked my name so they could write it on my cup and make me feel like an individual.

I know this is some hair-brained idea thought up by some marketing thug but who allowed this bad idea to bear fruit.

I go into Starbucks for a nice cup of coffee generally to pass some time if I'm early for an appointment. I don't need to feel valued or to be treated as an individual.

Until they stop this insanity I am swerving them.

Over-priced so rarely visit. Would walk straight out again if some idiot did that. :D