Avast! and Win32:Evo-gen report

JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone else come across Avast! blocking downloads of exe files, reporting a virus Win32:Evo-gen?

I am convinced it's a false positive, because uploading a freshly-scanned clean image causes the problem to be reported when I attempt to download it again.

Avast puts the file in its Virus Chest - going there and scanning the individual files reports no virus.

Google seems to suggest a lot of people are experiencing this problem - does anyone know when it first started happening?

Comments

• MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Upload it to VirusTotal if you can.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did. No problems. I am looking for information on how long this has been going on for.
  • curiousclivecuriousclive Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Do you have the latest version 8 of Avast?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More interestingly, what's the .exe? Is it specific or all .exe's?
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    More interestingly, what's the .exe? Is it specific or all .exe's?
    At least all exe's I have built using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (Visual C++), regardless of web site.

A colleague who has McAfee, not Avast!, downloaded the same file with absolutely no problem.

As an experiment, I uploaded a 3rd party exe (ccsetup328.exe) to my web site, and it downloaded it without a problem.

So it's something in my builds it's complaining about. However, it's not just mine, as Googling shows that other people have had the same problem with other files.

And yes, as someone else asked, I have Avast version 8, but the problem was also there before I updated.

I have submitted one of my files to Avast as a false positive, so it's just possible if enough different files show this problem, they may fix it.

If anyone wants to try a download with their AV, it's http://www.jeffg.co.uk/_spine/spine70.exe