Great British Menu 2012

andrewj123andrewj123 Posts: 709
Forum Member
✭✭
Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but starts on 9th April, and as some people hoped last year it will be an Olympic-themed feast.
Great British Menu returns to BBC Two in spring 2012 for a seventh series - The Olympic Feast. This year’s challenge is to create a ground-breaking menu fit for Olympic heroes; celebrating the arrival of the London 2012 Olympics and demonstrating the extraordinary Olympian heights the talented chefs can reach.

In an added dimension for 2012, the chefs will also meet with British Olympians past and present during the regional heats to share valuable lessons on how to succeed and strive for perfection in their chosen field - and of course to cook for them! The featured Olympians include four-time rowing gold medallist Sir Matthew Pinsent, world record holding Paralympic discus thrower Daniel Greaves, London 2012 triathlon medal hopefuls Alistair and Jonathan Brownlee, gold medal-winning swimmer Duncan Goodhew, European, Commonwealth and World Champion hurdler Dai Greene, British boxing silver medallist Amir Khan, cycling gold medallist Geraint Thomas, Olympic diver Nick Robinson-Baker, British javelin legend Steve Backley and Olympic gold medallist and Chair of the London 2012 Organising Committee (Locog) Lord Sebastian Coe.

Prue Leith, Oliver Peyton and Matthew Fort return to judge the chefs’ culinary expertise, assisted by regional judges and Great British Menu veterans Tom Kerridge, Nigel Haworth, Jeremy Lee, Marcus Wareing, Glyn Purnell, Richard Corrigan, Angela Harnett and Jason Atherton.

Here are the heats:

South West Judged by Tom Kerridge

Paul Ainsworth
Nathan Outlaw
Simon Hulstone

North East Judged by Nigel Haworth

Stephanie Moon
Colin McGurran
Charlie Larkin

Scotland Judged by Jeremy Lee

Alan Murchison
Mark Greenaway
Colin Buchan

North West Judged by Marcus Wareing

Johnnie Mountain
Aiden Byrne
Simon Rogan

Central Judged by Glynn Purnell

Aktar Islam
Daniel Clifford
Paul Foster

Northern Ireland Judged by Richard Corrigan
Chris Bell
Chris Fearon
Niall McKenna

Wales Judged by Angela Hartnett
Richard Davies
James Sommerin
Stephen Terry

London / South-East Judged by Jason Atherton
Graham Garrett
Marcus McGuiness
Phil Howard

Looks interesting, there is a good idea for the banquet but I shall miss Lisa Allen!

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Glad they have a few new names in there but still too many of the old imo.

Have they mentioned a theme? Is it supposed to be healthy for olympians?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this years theme would be to do with the Queen's diamond Jubilee.
  • andrewj123andrewj123 Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this years theme would be to do with the Queen's diamond Jubilee.

The Royal Family have been involved in a number of previous banquets so I think it's nice to have something different this time
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The vile Johnny Mountain back again .... wonder if he will be here again, and call us all names on Twitter....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The vile Johnny Mountain back again .... wonder if he will be here again, and call us all names on Twitter....

I missed that, did he get a tad upset with DS posters ???.
    Forum Member
    I'd be surprised that anyone who saw him on Frank Skinner's Opinionated if they ever go to his restuarant after what he said he did to peoples food.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Pleased that the series is back, but a few of these chefs - Murchison, Mountain, Terry, Byrne etc. - have outstayed their welcome.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed that, did he get a tad upset with DS posters ???.

The stuff he tweeted was foul-mouthed and frankly totally ott given what was posted on here. Also, there wouldn't have been any negative posts if it wasn't for some of his behaviour during GBM.

I caught him on some chat show re-hashing his story of wiping his penis around the cup of a customer he didn't like. I think he said he urinated in their tea as well, but I may have imagined that bit. He obviously thinks he's hilarious and wonderful.I'm afraid I don't.
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    The stuff he tweeted was foul-mouthed and frankly totally ott given what was posted on here. Also, there wouldn't have been any negative posts if it wasn't for some of his behaviour during GBM.

I caught him on some chat show re-hashing his story of wiping his penis around the cup of a customer he didn't like. I think he said he urinated in their tea as well, but I may have imagined that bit. He obviously thinks he's hilarious and wonderful.I'm afraid I don't.

He said all that and the BBC are having him back??? :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Glad they have a few new names in there but still too many of the old imo.

Have they mentioned a theme? Is it supposed to be healthy for olympians?

The theme seems to be "fit for an olympian":
    Three chefs from each region and nations will compete against each other preparing a four course meal fit for an Olympian to secure a place in the national finals.
    - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/Great-British-Menu-2012-020212.html
    Forum Member
    That could mean anything though.
    Are they going to have nutritionalists on hand to make sure the meals are fit for a sportsperson to eat?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ff999 wrote: »
    He said all that and the BBC are having him back??? :eek:

Trust me - that's not even the half of it. I dare say the tweets in question may be long gone, but this is from the GBM 2011 thread:
    Actually if you read his twitter,

http://twitter.com/#!/JohnnieWannabe

he comes across as very unpleasant indeed.

Called somebody (Jewish, presumably) a "f******g Yid" and clearly has very little time for MW

As far as I know he never denied tweeting any of those things and never apologised for the content either - instead he went off on one about DS posters and basically said we were a load of c**ts. Nice.

Ps He may not actually have used the 'c' word - but that isn't guaranteed, because his language in those tweets was pretty appalling. I can use profanity pretty extensively when I'm cheesed off - but I wouldn't dream of tweeting great streams of it for posterity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the theme being "fit for an olympian" I can only imagine how bland the desserts are going to be :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the theme being "fit for an olympian" I can only imagine how bland the desserts are going to be :(

Looking at the athletes they mention as participating, they are all former olympians, so hopefully they've loosened their belts a bit and won't mind a 'naughty' pud.
    Forum Member
    I'd be surprised that anyone who saw him on Frank Skinner's Opinionated if they ever go to his restuarant after what he said he did to peoples food.

It was repeated not too long back.
  • TheAuburnEnigmaTheAuburnEnigma Posts: 17,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the athletes they mention as participating, they are all former olympians, so hopefully they've loosened their belts a bit and won't mind a 'naughty' pud.

Not all of them, most of them are former Olympians but Dai Greene, the Brownlee brothers and possibly the Paralympian or the diver are competing in 2012.

Looking at the line-up:

South West Judged by Tom Kerridge

Paul Ainsworth (last year's winner, did the pudding iirc)
    Nathan Outlaw (former winner)
    Simon Hulstone (new entrant I think)

North East Judged by Nigel Haworth

Stephanie Moon (last year's winner/second place, not entirely sure but I think she came second)
    Colin McGurran (new entrant)
    Charlie Larkin (new entrant)

Scotland Judged by Jeremy Lee

Alan Murchison (last year's judge I believe, should be entertaining)
    Mark Greenaway (new entrant I think)
    Colin Buchan (new entrant)

North West Judged by Marcus Wareing

Johnnie Mountain (last year's last place, they must want controversy)
    Aiden Byrne (previous entrant)
    Simon Rogan (new entrant)

Central Judged by Glynn Purnell (this is my region, love Glyn I must say :D )

Aktar Islam (last year's winner)
    Daniel Clifford (previous entrant)
    Paul Foster (new entrant)

Northern Ireland Judged by Richard Corrigan
    Chris Bell (last year's second place)
    Chris Fearon (last year's winner, served the starter)
    Niall McKenna (last year's last place iirc)

Wales Judged by Angela Hartnett
    Richard Davies (not certain, think he's a previous entrant)
    James Sommerin (previous entrant)
    Stephen Terry (former judge, has won before)

London / South-East Judged by Jason Atherton
    Graham Garrett
    Marcus McGuiness
    Phil Howard
    ^^all-new lineup in this one I believe.

A few changes of judge - Tom Kerridge judging the South-West (competed and won for the South-East in the last few years, served at the banquet for the last 2 years). Jeremy Lee replacing Alan Murchison for Scotland who is a contestant this year. Not entirely sure if Nigel and Marcus have changed regions as well - I'm pretty sure that Nigel judged Lisa last year who I think would have been North-West (and JM), and I believe Marcus might have been a different region as well.

Looking forward to this series though, Sue Ellis (an entrant for the Central region last year) was recently seen on Britain's Best Dish as one of the competing chefs. Not too excited about the Welsh heat - would have liked to see Aled return.
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Jeremy, Jason, Glynn and Marcus.
    Richard is OK providing he keeps off the talk-a-lot tablets and backs away from the hamming it up.

I think in the early days 'The North' was classed as one region won first by Marcus and then Nigel.
    Then it was split into North East and North West with Marcus overseeing both regions and Nigel competing for the North West.

The next series, when Nigel wasn't competing he took over judging duties in the North East and Marcus kept North West - which was the same for last year I think (well, Lisa beat Johnny and was definitely in the Marcus group ;))
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

A deeply unpleasant man, I'll only watch his week in the hope of seeing him crash and burn again - that or seeing Marcus finally crack and find a whole new place to stick his hot plate ;)

Do hope Oliver is in fine grumpy form again this year :D
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    That could mean anything though.
    Are they going to have nutritionalists on hand to make sure the meals are fit for a sportsperson to eat?

I doubt it. Cooking at this level isn't really meant to be nutritious.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    I doubt it. Cooking at this level isn't really meant to be nutritious.

Try telling that to Chris Horridge.
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    apaul wrote: »
    Try telling that to Chris Horridge.

Well without putting too fine a point on it, he was a nobhead.
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A deeply unpleasant man, I'll only watch his week in the hope of seeing him crash and burn again - that or seeing Marcus finally crack and find a whole new place to stick his hot plate ;)

Do hope Oliver is in fine grumpy form again this year :D

he he :D

Ah, grumpy Oliver -<heart>.
    The best exchange evvvah over a whiskey laden pudding

Oliver - it smells like a bog.
    Matthew - awww no it doesn't.
    Oliver - I grew up in a bog. I know what one smells like.

I did think the remit was made for Chris Horridge and had a moment of panic! :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Thanks for posting, love this show.

As for Jonnie Mountain, he is a bit of a tool, but its good to have characters in it to keep us interested!
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting, love this show.

As for Jonnie Mountain, he is a bit of a tool, but its good to have characters in it to keep us interested!

Yeah, to be honest I don't really look at the chef's personality too much - I just look at what's going on the plate, but I'll admit its good to have a mixture of characters and some chefs will appeal more to some than others.

Can't wait - hope it is the usual 5 nights a week format?
  • andrewj123andrewj123 Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, to be honest I don't really look at the chef's personality too much - I just look at what's going on the plate, but I'll admit its good to have a mixture of characters and some chefs will appeal more to some than others.

Can't wait - hope it is the usual 5 nights a week format?

I should imagine so, can't imagine any other way they could do it when it works well as it does. It's starting on a Monday so looks likely