• Options
    sgeandhusgeandhu Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No surprise really.
  • Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Disappointed as he was my favourite, but I knew it'd be very unlikely that he would've gotten through.

Not his best performance, and not great comments, and he does kinda have a wall up so people didn't connect with him.
  • Options
    Eva_Coco_MayEva_Coco_May Posts: 3,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe he's Out before Anton - Wtf?
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly think this'll damage the show. There's very little left to appeal to the young, female demographic. Wouldn't surprise me if his exit had a negative impact on the ratings.
  • Options
    jM8jM8 Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan of his, but I think some act is by far worst than him tonight.
  • Options
    Sife LucksSife Lucks Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    This is why I can't really get interested the show these days. For years on the show we've had the same "type" of contestant (young, white, inoffensive, dull) coming on and singing Mariah, Whitney and Ed Sheeran songs every year and the one time we actually get someone with a bit of attitude and personality and the ability to sing, dance AND rap with modern song choices they're booted out after only four weeks.

I mean, just off the top of my head we've had contestants like Che such as Matt, Ben, Joe, Leon, James, Craig, Aiden, Nicholas and Christopher Maloney - all boring and all sang the exact same type of songs as eachother. Are any of them stars? No.

Mason might be annoying or cocky and might not have the best voice in the show (but does Nick Jonas, Justin Bieber, Chris Brown, Drake, Usher etc?) but he's at least a bit edgy and sings music that is relevant and commercial.
  • Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Sife Lucks wrote: »
    This is why I can't really get interested the show these days. For years on the show we've had the same "type" of contestant (young, white, inoffensive, dull) coming on and singing Mariah, Whitney and Ed Sheeran songs every year and the one time we actually get someone with a bit of attitude and personality and the ability to sing, dance AND rap with modern song choices they're booted out after only four weeks.

I mean, just off the top of my head we've had contestants like Che such as Matt, Ben, Joe, Leon, James, Craig, Aiden, Nicholas and Christopher Maloney - all boring and all sang the exact same type of songs as eachother. Are any of them stars? No.

Mason might be annoying or cocky and might not have the best voice in the show (but does Nick Jonas, Justin Bieber, Chris Brown, Drake, Usher etc?) but he's at least a bit edgy and sings music that is relevant and commercial.

That's exactly how I feel. I'm into music by Usher, Chris Brown and Drake and it's not often we get male singers who do that kind of thing, so that's why I was supporting Mason. I won't buy anything from anyone left.

Maybe it he came across warmer it'd help. But every year I hope for a male singer who can do the modern R&B commercial style and we rarely get it.
  • Options
    CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sife Lucks wrote: »

This!! My thoughts exactly. He is someone that can actually entertain the audience! I really dont like these acts who just stand there and sing a ballad and cry. Yawn. The voters are a big problem for the show tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This!! My thoughts exactly. He is someone that can actually entertain the audience! I really dont like these acts who just stand there and sing a ballad and cry. Yawn. The voters are a big problem for the show tbh.

Yes they are which is why I think it should be 50% judges and 50% audience to at least give some assurances to the more contemporary and younger stars who might not appeal to the middle-aged housewives voting.
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Mason gone, R&B really need to go tomorrow.
  • Options
    HughOSHughOS Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voters destroy this show
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    I can't say I'm sorry. It's not the kind of songs he sings that is the problem. It's the fact that he can't sing. He really shouldn't attempt to sing falsetto.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not that I think Seann and Mason were particularly great artists outside of the context of the show, although they might well prove to be, but inside the show they were a breath of fresh air.

Just look at tonight, you tune in the first thing you see is someone tearing up over his dead grandfather and then three dreary, boring dirge-like performances in a row. You don't have to think Mason was the next Prince to think that he added something to the show that it needs; a bit of bounce, a bit of personality to separate from the almost non-stop dreariness and the CBeebies side show.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,634
    Forum Member
    The people who vote on X Factor aren't the people who buy music.

That's why X Factor continues to fail.

I guess I'm alone in being happy with the results. The whole thing surrounding Mason this series has been a car crash.
  • Options
    bananaa_bobbananaa_bob Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think he was edgy or relevant at all, a spoilt brat playing a charade part of a poor man's Kanye West, only problem was he was'nt very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he was edgy or relevant at all, a spoilt brat playing a charade part of a poor man's Kanye West, only problem was he was'nt very good.

But surely being a poor-man's someone who is a popular and current artist is better than being a poor man's some bloke your nan likes?

It's X-Factor, everyone is a poor man's something. It's better to at least have the essence of something or someone contemporary rather than being a second-round airport lounge singer or the act they get in for the kids at Butlins.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »

I guess I'm alone in being happy with the results. The whole thing surrounding Mason this series has been a car crash.

I don't think it's the voters, it's the producers.

The ones behind the scenes getting thing after thing wrong.

Example, constant mess of background colours that keep causing the performers to almost disappear.

Dreadful song choices coupled with bad staging coupled with odd sound levels.

The show is very poorly produced IMO, presenters with no skill and judges who are bored.

The public can't vote for a person who sings a song badly even if they know it's the fault of the person who chose that song and then put together a presentation that falls flat on it's face.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Hitstastic wrote: »

No, you're not alone. I thought he was rubbish.
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole Mason stunt was all a big waste of time really. It didn't get people tuning in, he gave really dull performances and it just made the show look stupid. Nobody bought into the script.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He played out the attitude and strut of Kanye West then walked onstage and turned into a cross between Timberlake and Bieber. A joke who can't be taken seriously.
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jM8 wrote: »
    Don't know what to say

Yesssssss ? :D

(Didn't even know anyone was going tonight, thought it was tomorrow, until I saw this thread.)
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Soppyfan wrote: »
    With Mason gone, R&B really need to go tomorrow.

Sadly not, they are for some reason considered the life and soul of the party. Maybe I am getting old but I find them as entertaining as toothache. On saying that the rest are an insipid boring and bland lot so I would not be overly bothered if R&B were to win. :o
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mason Noise and his ego have left the building
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    Just remember, that because you presumably listen to the radio and believe that the drivel that Mason produces is actually good, those of us who aren't inspired by what we're told to listen to think he's absolutely terrible.

Average singer, average dancer. Only really "positive" anyone can give him...is basically that he's a dick. That might appeal to a small demographic, mainly the demographic that buy singles (young urban wannabe Londoners), but it doesn't appeal to the majority.

Essentially that style of R&B is musically terrible, and unappealing to anyone who does not subscribe to that particular "urban" fashion. His fascination with grabbing his crotch, winking and grinding on girls just makes him look like a prick. That might male him a modern "pop star", but there's a reason the majority of the country don't buy singles any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just remember, that because you presumably listen to the radio and believe that the drivel that Mason produces is actually good, those of us who aren't inspired by what we're told to listen to think he's absolutely terrible.

Average singer, average dancer. Only really "positive" anyone can give him...is basically that he's a dick. That might appeal to a small demographic, mainly the demographic that buy singles (young urban wannabe Londoners), but it doesn't appeal to the majority.

Essentially that style of R&B is musically terrible, and unappealing to anyone who does not subscribe to that particular "urban" fashion. His fascination with grabbing his crotch, winking and grinding on girls just makes him look like a prick. That might male him a modern "pop star", but there's a reason the majority of the country don't buy singles any more.
    Really good post and agree what you're saying, personally i blame the likes of the awful Radio 1 for promoting the disposable crap that is now passed as music.