Will Cheryl get the US XF?

user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
Forum Member
✭✭
The line up is to be revealed in the New Year, so until we'll just have to guess. Do you think she will get it? I'm 50/50 so am going to be flaky and say unsure.

Yes
No
Unsure

Will Cheryl get the US XF? 141 votes

Yes
26% 37 votes
No
49% 70 votes
Unsure
24% 34 votes

Comments

• C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on how much she and Simon want it. If Simon really, really 100% wanted her on it and she was 100% sure about doing it, then she'd be there. As it happens, I don't think it makes a lot of sense from either angle.

I'm going to say no but I'm only 60% sure! :D
  • xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She probobaly will but she's a really bad judge on the UK X Factor but because Simon clearly fancies her he'll give her the job. :rolleyes: Hopefully she won't return to the UK one if she goes to America. Really can't see America liking Cheryl she mimes all her songs and doesn't have the best voice.
  • PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Unsure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Saula fans might hate her lmao
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    I think it depends on how much she and Simon want it. If Simon really, really 100% wanted her on it and she was 100% sure about doing it, then she'd be there. As it happens, I don't think it makes a lot of sense from either angle.

I'm going to say no but I'm only 60% sure! :D
    I can see Cheryl wanting it 100%. It would make sense. She's gone as far as she can go in the UK. She has had really good solo success and is on the top rated show but is so over exposed that a lot of her fanbase is starting to tire of her. America would open up a lot more opportunities for her and give her new goals to aim for.

For Simon it is a big risk. I'm sure he is fond of her but he is first and foremost a businessman would not hesitate to ditch her for his own interests. He has waited nearly ten years to get his own prime time tv show and with the amount of money he can potentially earn, he's not going to let a little thing like friendship get in the way. Cheryl had a lot of booboo's on the X-Factor this year and the only thing that saved her was her already established hardcore fanbase. She will be a nobody in the US and if she eff's up, there will be no second chance.

It's for this reason that while I'm unsure, I'm kinda leaning towards no. Then again, Simon loves contraversey and he can always ditch her after one year if it doesn't work out (or even through the audtitions like Brian Friedman), which is why I'm kinda leaning towards yes. Ahhhhhh why can't I make up my mind! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like C14E said if Simon wants her there and more important, if she wants the job then it is hers, I'm not so sure she wants it, so the answer is yes, she will get it, unsure she will do it.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see Cheryl wanting it 100%. It would make sense. She's gone as far as she can go in the UK. She has had really good solo success and is on the top rated show but is so over exposed that a lot of her fanbase is starting to tire of her. America would open up a lot more opportunities for her and give her new goals to aim for.

I think it's a risk for her. If she fails at such a high profile level in the US, it risks damaging her UK image as well. Plus, she'll probably not even get as well paid for her first season of XF US! With all the press, she's in a position to command vast sums over here. In the US, she's a nobody and FOX won't pay her anything more than they paid someone like Kara DioGuardi (who was getting <$2m). And despite all the "arrogant, smug" comments on here, I think she's very well aware of her limitations and concerned that it might not work.
    For Simon it is a big risk. I'm sure he is fond of her but he is first and foremost a businessman would not hesitate to ditch her for his own interests. He has waited nearly ten years to get his own prime time tv show and with the amount of money he can potentially earn, he's not going to let a little thing like friendship get in the way. Cheryl had a lot of booboo's on the X-Factor this year and the only thing that saved her was her already established hardcore fanbase. She will be a nobody in the US and if she eff's up, there will be no second chance.

It's for this reason that while I'm unsure, I'm kinda leaning towards no. Then again, Simon loves contraversey and he can always ditch her after one year if it doesn't work out (or even through the audtitions like Brian Friedman), which is why I'm kinda leaning towards yes. Ahhhhhh why can't I make up my mind! :eek:

I think whether or not it's Cheryl, we're going to see someone "playing Cheryl" anyway, IMO. And as you say, he loves controversy and she generated heaps of it this year.

I also wonder if Paula Abdul may have the final say. If her new show were to flop, she might want a job. And with the whole judges competition aspect of XF, the idea of marketing the show as "Simon vs Paula" could be quite appealing to FOX.

We also don't really know what FOX think. A lot of the arguments attributed to them don't make much sense. But even more important will be what the Exec Producers think. Those are the people who Cowell trusts and listens to and who have worked with Cheryl as well for the past 3 years.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    I think it's a risk for her. If she fails at such a high profile level in the US, it risks damaging her UK image as well. Plus, she'll probably not even get as well paid for her first season of XF US! With all the press, she's in a position to command vast sums over here. In the US, she's a nobody and FOX won't pay her anything more than they paid someone like Kara DioGuardi (who was getting <$2m). And despite all the "arrogant, smug" comments on here, I think she's very well aware of her limitations and concerned that it might not work.
    Cheryl is aware of her limitations but fear of failure has never stopped her. After toiletgate and she was getting booed on stage, she never stopped. When the press were mauling her to pieces, she never stopped. Despite knowing herself that she can't sing very well, she she still persued a solo career. When the humiation of Ashley cheating for the second time came to light, she still went out on stage. Whatever people want to say about Cheryl, nothing and no one will stop this girl once she has her mind set on something and I don't think the fear of falling from grace will dampen her ambition to make it in America.

The low paypacket to begin with won't faze her. Alexandra Burke said that one of the pieces of advice Cheryl gave to her after she won was "don't expect to see any money for a good few years". Cheryl knows how it works and if her stint on US XF works out, she will be able to earn vast sums of money. The final clincher for me is that if she didn't want the job, she would have said so a long time ago. A quick "I am happy with my level of success in the UK and have no plans to leave" would have put to rest any rumours in the press. By hinting that she would love to go to the US, she is putting herself in a position of ridicule if she doesn't get it. This is why she's always saying "but I'm not sure if they'll get me, we'll have to wait and see".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it - too big a risk.
  • Ash's ManAsh's Man Posts: 7,165
    Forum Member
    Why do so many people say no?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes! America will like her too.
  • iluvdanniiiluvdannii Posts: 3,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I picked unsure but she hasn't denied the reports so probably she will!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,345
    Forum Member
    I would have said "unsure" until i saw her being interviewed by Steve Jones where she was asked about it and she said "It'll be a great opportunity" as opposed to "it would be a great opportunity". Just got the impression she knew she had the job so i'm voting "yes".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant poll options be:

1. Yes but she doesnt deserve it and will get sussed out
    2. Yes, she's been arselicking and smarming up to Cowell all series for it
    3. No, she never had a chance anyway
    4. I couldnt care less
    5. Dream result: doesnt get XF-US or XF-UK11 job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,345
    Forum Member
    Lydian wrote: »
    Cant poll options be:

1. Yes but she doesnt deserve it and will get sussed out
    2. Yes, she's been arselicking and smarming up to Cowell all series for it
    3. No, she never had a chance anyway
    4. I couldnt care less
    5. Dream result: doesnt get XF-US or XF-UK11 job.

No. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

That's like Simon getting some unknown from Japan as a judge for UK XF because that person is huge back in their homeland.
  • wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but I do want her too, as I have no plans to watch it and it would mean she won't be doing the UK one.
  • flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she desperately wants it but not so sure Simon will risk taking her on there regardless of what certain newspapers would have us believe. Besides, if the papers ARE to be believed there are no less than 10 on the panel already !
  • Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she might. stranger things have happened.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Rumours are she hasnt signed anything...
  • Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GA may reform next year as well. She was asked about when Nadine was rejoining TXF and she said next year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xKatieLx wrote: »
    She probobaly will but she's a really bad judge on the UK X Factor but because Simon clearly fancies her he'll give her the job. :rolleyes: Hopefully she won't return to the UK one if she goes to America. Really can't see America liking Cheryl she mimes all her songs and doesn't have the best voice.

Janet Jackson, Madonna, Britney Spears...didn't stop them.

We'll like her because she's British and she's hot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    I think she will get it at some point but for the first series he needs big names in America.

George Michael has been banded around a lot, but to have him & Biffa i think would be a bad move a couple of criminals on a show from the Uk wont go down well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I highly doubt Simon and Fox are waiting around for Paula's show to flop. I think they've moved on from that. We'll see, but I think we are looking at Cheryl, Nicole, or Mariah. Or maybe someone we haven't heard about yet.

But I do think Simon is just a little too nestled up Cheryl's backside for him to drop the ball on her getting on the show. I have a feeling he'll come to some compromise with Fox to get her on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

That's like Simon getting some unknown from Japan as a judge for UK XF because that person is huge back in their homeland.

Paula Abdul had been out of the spotlight for about 10 years before she resurfaced on American Idol.

No one in American knew who Randy Jackson was.

Simon Cowell was an unknown Brit to the American public.

Cheryl will fit in well because of reasons I mentioned before. She's British, therefore exotic. And the fact that she's hot as sin won't hurt her chances, either.

What is more interesting is if the XF concept sells in the USA. What I didn't realize until this year was that it is a giant soap opera. Would all of you still watch it if you removed all the newspaper stories? That just doesn't happen with AI. Either they keep it and the audience doesn't get it, or they do away with it and essentially kill off the guilty pleasure aspect. Either way, it's a loss.