Formal Warning (under 18)

mandarulemandarule Posts: 267
Forum Member
Basically, I was angry at a teacher at my school because he was treating me terribly. I went home and told my sister (17 years old) about it, and over the next few days she made 3 prank calls to the school. The first 2 were just "oh, mr soandso's been hitting me" and the school, as they told me later, took them as prank calls. I have to admit, I didn't think the school would take them seriously and at the time I was so angry with the teacher I thought it was funny. I was right, the school told me later they put the first 2 down as prank calls. However the third one, my sister said she was a girl in my year's mum and said "My soandso's been having an affair with my daughter." I didn't know she was going to say that on the phone, and whilst she was doing it I was trying my best to get her to stop and telling her to not do it. I laughed loudly at one point to try and make it clear to the person on the other end that it was a joke.

And I know I'm stupid and wasn't thinking, but I tried to forget about it and convinced myself they wouldn't take it seriously. To get to the point, they pulled me out of class at school and the school assigned policeman asked me about it. Turned out they had traced my sisters number as she has made numerous prank calls to the actual police before - yes I know what she does is wrong but I have no control over her, she does it regardless. I stupidly played dumb and made out I didn't know she had done it or who the teacher was. I did tell them I knew she made prank calls and that she might have told me about it but I hadn't really been listening at the time. They told me I had to get her up to the school so the policeman could give her a row about it. or it would be dealt with officially.

Anyway we went up to the school, I went with her to the meeting with the policeman for moral support (well because she said she wouldn't go unless I was there). To repay me for this, she grassed me up, claiming I knew about it and had told her to do it. Obviously the policeman had a massive row with her about doing it, but he had go at me as well for being "economical with the truth". Me and my sister were arguing because I had told her not to do it, I accidently blurted this out which proved I had been playing dumb (lying) in my original meeting. In the end the policeman interrupted the argument and said that he was giving us both a formal warning for it. He took my sisters details and said he already had mine as I was a pupil at the school.

Basically, my question is what does this mean for my future prospects? Will it come up on a police record check? Will at affect my university prospects and applications, and job prospects and applications? Bear in mind that I'm 16. I'm going to go and ask the policeman about it but until then, could anyone help me on here? Thank you.

Comments

• RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it was a serious accusation and could have damaged the teachers career.
    I think it's right the school took this seriously as false accusations (even in jest) only serve to undermine serious accusation.
    If universities contact the school for a reference it is possible it could have an impact.
  • mandarulemandarule Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    But it wasn't me that did it. I tried to stop her from doing it. It's not fair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where are your parents?
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where are your parents?

Hunting billy goats for little troll's supper.;):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But your sister admitted you were aware and tried to cover up. This surely reflects on your character?
    Forum Member
    RickWhite wrote: »
    But your sister admitted you were aware and tried to cover up. This surely reflects on your character?

How do you mean?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Cautions

Cautions are given to adults aged 18 or over for minor crimes - eg writing graffiti on a bus shelter.

You have to admit an offence and agree to be cautioned. If you don’t agree, you can be arrested and charged.

A caution is not a criminal conviction, but it could be used as evidence of bad character if you go to court for another crime."

https://www.gov.uk/caution-warning-penalty

It won't come up on a CRB check, and universities won't check for that kind of thing. Just don't do anything stupid in the next few years and it will be nothing to worry about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hunting billy goats for little troll's supper.;):)

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mandarule wrote: »
    How do you mean?

Perhaps if you'd have admitted you were aware what she did but had nothing to do with it they would have realised the position you were in and sympathised with you.
    As it stands you played dumb and she involved you anyway.
    There's perhaps a lesson learnt there?
    Forum Member
    Thanks, but I'm not over 18 and it wasn't a caution.
    "Cautions

Cautions are given to adults aged 18 or over for minor crimes - eg writing graffiti on a bus shelter.

You have to admit an offence and agree to be cautioned. If you don’t agree, you can be arrested and charged.

A caution is not a criminal conviction, but it could be used as evidence of bad character if you go to court for another crime."

https://www.gov.uk/caution-warning-penalty

It won't come up on a CRB check, and universities won't check for that kind of thing. Just don't do anything stupid in the next few years and it will be nothing to worry about.
    Forum Member
    Perhaps if you'd have admitted you were aware what she did but had nothing to do with it they would have realised the position you were in and sympathised with you.
    As it stands you played dumb and she involved you anyway.
    There's perhaps a lesson learnt there?

Yeah I've learned my lesson but I'm worried about the police record and prospects thing etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I've learned my lesson but I'm worried about the police record and prospects thing etc.

Well i would imagine that as long as you don't find yourself in an unfortunate position like this again you should be alright.
    We all make mistakes and learn from them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, but I'm not over 18 and it wasn't a caution.

Well don't bother clicking on the link or anything...

"Cautions for under 18s

Young people aged 10 to 17 can get cautions called ‘reprimands’ or ‘warnings’ for minor offences.

The police will usually tell you off, and give you a ‘reprimand’, for a first offence.

They will give you a warning for a second offence, and tell you that you’ll be charged if you commit another crime."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where were your parents?
    Forum Member
    Well don't bother clicking on the link or anything...

"Cautions for under 18s

Young people aged 10 to 17 can get cautions called ‘reprimands’ or ‘warnings’ for minor offences.

The police will usually tell you off, and give you a ‘reprimand’, for a first offence.

They will give you a warning for a second offence, and tell you that you’ll be charged if you commit another crime."

But will it be on a police record that could affect anything?
    Forum Member
    Where were your parents?

Because I'm over 16 they didn't need to get involved, they did know and were extremely angry though, they grounded me for a bit
    Forum Member
    Well i would imagine that as long as you don't find yourself in an unfortunate position like this again you should be alright.
    We all make mistakes and learn from them

Cheers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I'm over 16 they didn't need to get involved, they did know and were extremely angry though, they grounded me for a bit

Why don't you ask them about it all and what it means?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers.

Also next time your angry with a teacher maybe avoid your sister
    Forum Member
    Why don't you ask them about it all and what it means?

I did and they said it shouldn't affect anything but I'm not sure
    Forum Member

Yeah I know that now mate haha
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did and they said it shouldn't affect anything but I'm not sure
    Well you do now. Do what RickWhite says.
  • MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    I would advise you to ask to see your headteacher 1-1. Explain to them that you really regret the incident and, as a serious student you are deeply concerned that this may affect any reference the school may provide for any future uni. applications.

I feel sure they will be able to give you some reassurance (I am a retired senior teacher/head of year and I know I would have treated this sympathetically and would not want it to affect your prospects...)

Now keep your nose clean in future - and get on with your work! :)
    Forum Member
    I would advise you to ask to see your headteacher 1-1. Explain to them that you really regret the incident and, as a serious student you are deeply concerned that this may affect any reference the school may provide for any future uni. applications.

I feel sure they will be able to give you some reassurance (I am a retired senior teacher/head of year and I know I would have treated this sympathetically and would not want it to affect your prospects...)

Now keep your nose clean in future - and get on with your work! :)

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If my 17-year-old had done something like that at school, I'd have been up there like a shot, backing up the policemen.