Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Is ' gardening leave ' a term used exclusively in the UK ?

The institution Beth Sawle was employed by wants her off the premises, but due to either contractural reasons or not wanting the bad publicity if they brought the case to court, she is on permanent paid leave.

It happens...but not that often...

That's what I want. Permanent paid leave, with emphasis on the word "paid".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    i've never heard of it in the U.S. The term, that is. I think we have similar practices, used only occasionally and not called that.

It is generally called 'administrative leave' in the US. In the spooky old bat's case they probably kept her on it indefinetly because of her access to top secret documents and materials in her job. In doing it that way she was legally bound to keep her trap shut because she was still technically employed by the MoD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry about pasting the long list, but I found it on a restricted site and couldn't just publish the link. Notice that all his awards come in the '90's, I think. I don't know how he could not have won something for the first two years of Doc Martin!

Oh, I wasn't complaining, statesidefan. In fact, it's quite an impressive list. I find it hard to believe he hasn't won anything and everything for his portrayal of Doc Martin, but maybe I'm biased.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Can you imagine the fan reaction if they marry DM and LG in S6 and then at the finale have them filing for divorce?

I don't think I would survive it. :cry:
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We understood the situation, had a very good five year run, I got to see a beautiful part of the world in ways that very few do and parted friends. What more can one ask? However I hope you understand why I said what I did about them not lasting more than two years in The Real World(TM). We lasted five because talked it out and understood that, despite love (and a good deal of lust), it was never going to be more than it was.

I agree that it could work if they talked it out but they come from such different words, the identities of both of them are so wrapped up in their jobs and neither of them is happy in the others natural habitat-Martin hates Portwenn and Louisa hates anywhere that isn't Portwenn. One or the other will have to bend almost to the breaking point and change almost everything about themselves to accomodate the other. We are deaing with a fictional world and fictional characters so anything is possible so don't give up hope!

Adelie, I understand completely as I had a similar experience in my younger life that I will always be grateful for but that wasn't sustainable it seemed to us.

And I do see hope for Doc and Louisa.
    We see them have an ordinary conversation with no buttons being pushed when he is peeling the apple.
    When Louisa says she needs to be consulted about things during the christening scheduling scene, he says "doesn't sound too hard" and seems to have a willingness to learn.
    Of course, learning to be a good daddy has recently been mentioned.
    They stand together when upset with L's mum and her tonic in the baby bottle.
    He becomes sort of the white knight charging off to the castle with her to rescue their child and ultimately takes direction from her as to what to say to Mrs. T.
    He finally says what she's been longing to hear.

That being said, I'm not as concerned with Doc learning to share his life, as I am about Louisa. Her insecurity is painful She truly needs to quit looking for the white knight, and see the person who's got her back standing right there and learn to appreciate that his actions speak volumes. (I dearly love the scene when she's about to drink out of the milk bottle and he's already calmly got up and rescued her tea from the fridge.)

But then who knows what direction BP will take??? But I bet (oh, sorry, Pauline) it'll be an interesting one no matter.

And yes, I also base my comments in part on personal experience and how things can work. In my training, taking a story and discussing it through one's life experiences is a blessing and a joy and a wonder. That's why I'm so grateful for finding such a great group of thoughtful people on this forum.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Mona
    I was just pointing out that your fan fic list by AR and Isobel of what was wrong would have taken 20 mins to discuss. Yes solutions and resolutions would take much longer but one day they need to talk.

Each year my dh and I sit down and talk about 3 things we really need in our relationship (or what one dies that drives the other batty) It can be as silly as I'd like this particular horizontal surface (bench) kept clear always. Maybe I need more direction than most or maybe i can only focus on 3 major things a year but it works for us.

I believe it is possible for people to change especially if they believe it is important for their partners happiness which ultimately leads to everyones happiness.

In real life usually an epiphany is preceded by 2 years (or so!) of internal struggle that finally bears fruit.

Oh, sorry for my not understanding your original point.

I definitely believe people can change, too. But, it does take work and it usually isn't a smooth sailing process, but step by step.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too, thought it is just part of the "spooky old bat" who is not all there anymore. And still desperately trying to prove herself. I mean really, her sister is getting sicker and sicker and she can't see it, because of her own determination to be right. And giving her medical advice, like when to take out the stitches, when we plainly see and the Doc sees, that something is amiss.

It's interesting how other medical related people are oftentimes shown to have very problematic personalities AND be wrong at medicine, too, while our doc has the former but not the latter, in general.

1. Edith, our stiff, emotionless, cunning, ex-lover of DMs, is massively wrong to assume the woman needs surgery when she just has diverticulitis. That would have been open to a lawsuit and board review of her qualifications in the States, if she did surgery with no preview imaging to ensure a correct diagnosis. I mean, that was way medically out of line. Medically incomprehensible. One wonders just how good a doc Edith is, even with her posturing around LG.

2. Mark's sister. Awful, annoying personality and although apt with herbal medicines, she treats a person without having first seen them. Not done. She is also not conscious of drug-botanical interactions of which there are established websites due to the dangers of them mixing at times.

3. The spooky old bat. Domineering, egotistic and self-righteous woman who works in a disgusting basement to make antibiotics for her failing sister, and spreads aspergillosis to the community as a result.

4. Dr. Dibbs. Nice gal, but "Yikes!" as a physician. If a medical student cannot diagnose Cushings when they see the pathognomonic purple abdominal striae in a person with her body type they should be kicked out of school. It's THAT obvious.

5. The Midwife. This probable homosexual woman (not the problem) comes with a huge hatred of men, especially those in any type of medical or societal authority (the problem). As a result, she nearly causes LG to have serious consequences of an untreated kidney infection, including the potential loss of her baby.

6. The only one who stands out is Adrian Pitts, who has a smarmy, narcissistic and vengeful personality, but who is an apt surgeon. However, he is that good because he was taught by DM.

7. Well, we also have Chris, DM's friend, who no doubt was a doc, and is a nice guy, but he's no longer in practice, so he doesn't really count in the above list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We understood the situation, had a very good five year run, I got to see a beautiful part of the world in ways that very few do and parted friends. What more can one ask? However I hope you understand why I said what I did about them not lasting more than two years in The Real World(TM). We lasted five because talked it out and understood that, despite love (and a good deal of lust), it was never going to be more than it was.

I agree that it could work if they talked it out but they come from such different words, the identities of both of them are so wrapped up in their jobs and neither of them is happy in the others natural habitat-Martin hates Portwenn and Louisa hates anywhere that isn't Portwenn. One or the other will have to bend almost to the breaking point and change almost everything about themselves to accomodate the other. We are deaing with a fictional world and fictional characters so anything is possible so don't give up hope!

Love the way you embedded that link to the pictures! Boy and I thought I was isolated!

LG did agree to go to London with DM.

Do you think that DM hates Portwenn or that he hates the fact that his phobia put him in a situation that was not of his choosing?

He hates pretentious people from his old world - eg: Holly and didn't seem too impressed with her reference to Johnny Bamford. He chose helping someone from Portwenn over seeing the guy Edith organised about getting back into surgery. He could have left Portwenn numerous times but chose to delay it. Yes he criticises the people of Portwenn but whenever someone criticises Portwenn to him (his father and Edith) he defends it and says he likes it.

Socially they are a bit apart (which is important in the UK) but at least he is the one with good social standing (which makes a difference-sexism abounds) and she's not too far below him on the food chain. If they stayed in PW this would be totally irrelevant anyway even in UK, wouldn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely believe people can change, too. But, it does take work and it usually isn't a smooth sailing process, but step by step.

Don't I know it!
    27 years I've been married to the guy and just this morning his said: You know that agreement we made about keeping the kitchen bench tidy? Do you think we can extend that to the table in front of the TV?

Talk about pushing the boundaries. :)

Better get off this computer and achieve...anything for a happy life. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting how other medical related people are oftentimes shown to have very problematic personalities AND be wrong at medicine, too, while our doc has the former but not the latter, in general.

1. Edith, our stiff, emotionless, cunning, ex-lover of DMs, is massively wrong to assume the woman needs surgery when she just has diverticulitis. That would have been open to a lawsuit and board review of her qualifications in the States, if she did surgery with no preview imaging to ensure a correct diagnosis. I mean, that was way medically out of line. Medically incomprehensible. One wonders just how good a doc Edith is, even with her posturing around LG.

2. Mark's sister. Awful, annoying personality and although apt with herbal medicines, she treats a person without having first seen them. Not done. She is also not conscious of drug-botanical interactions of which there are established websites due to the dangers of them mixing at times.

3. The spooky old bat. Domineering, egotistic and self-righteous woman who works in a disgusting basement to make antibiotics for her failing sister, and spreads aspergillosis to the community as a result.

4. Dr. Dibbs. Nice gal, but "Yikes!" as a physician. If a medical student cannot diagnose Cushings when they see the pathognomonic purple abdominal striae in a person with her body type they should be kicked out of school. It's THAT obvious.

5. The Midwife. This probable homosexual woman (not the problem) comes with a huge hatred of men, especially those in any type of medical or societal authority (the problem). As a result, she nearly causes LG to have serious consequences of an untreated kidney infection, including the potential loss of her baby.

6. The only one who stands out is Adrian Pitts, who has a smarmy, narcissistic and vengeful personality, but who is an apt surgeon. However, he is that good because he was taught by DM.

7. Well, we also have Chris, DM's friend, who no doubt was a doc, and is a nice guy, but he's no longer in practice, so he doesn't really count in the above list.

Of course, we might add :
    8. Anthony Oakwood, the Asperger's interested psychologist (I think) with the horrible parenting skills.

Boy, it is hard to be comprehensive on any given idea, due to the complexity of this show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But then who knows what direction BP will take??? But I bet (oh, sorry, Pauline) it'll be an interesting one no matter.

I thought it was great that they tied that back to the previous episodes about gambling anonymous. Very nicely done.

Also I thought the interaction between DM and Pauline at the beginning about the Sawle sisters was nicely done. DM really listened and Pauline seemed to be being nice to him (maybe grateful for his help re the gambling?).

Loved the way Pauline got to tell him that the whole village knew about the engagement. "Can I be a bridesmaid" What a shock he got!

Loved LG's sign and "maybe I let it slip" (not an accurate quote but that's the message I took away from what she said to Dm where in fact she'd told everyone!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't he practicing? I would have thought he would have had to have been to have been on the medical selection boards and to have been able to get DM back "in" to London?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also I thought the interaction between DM and Pauline at the beginning about the Sawle sisters was nicely done. DM really listened and Pauline seemed to be being nice to him (maybe grateful for his help re the gambling?).

Many different times throughout the episodes, I've thought that Pauline hopes to really engage with the Doc and have a normal and more familiar or should I say congenial, working relationship and perhaps even a friendship of sorts. She'd like some kudos or acknowledgement but mostly never gets it. He is sort of a father figure, doctor hero, and yet she absolutely tells it like it is, maybe because she can't quite "crack the nut" to have the friendly relationship she'd like with him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Conniej and Susie Sagitarius, the mere idea has my mind spinning. I've never played Second Life, but have a co-worker who does, and based on his descriptions of how it works, it's conceivable that Martin and Louisa avatars could actually act out fan fiction events in this SL Portwenn or fan fiction could actually be created by two participants right there and then. Is that right? Of course, I can't imagine that one could create an avatar that actually looks like the Doc. But still, the mere idea, wow, especially as technology continues to advance.

I wonder how complete the Second Life Port Isaac is. Well, I should say Portwenn since the shot at the restaurant actually has a sign, "Large Restaurant". The shots we can see are of the most well known areas. I wonder if any of the streets hidden from google streetview are included.

Your understanding of SL is substantially correct based on the seminar I attended where we got a demonstration. Avatars are customizable, but would it really look like the doc, who knows? And participants can add stuff, like buildings. Try http://computer.howstuffworks.com/internet/social-networking/networks/second-life2.htm for a broader and comprehensible discussion.

I have to admit I was underwhelmed with SL and decided using my time to create my first life the way I wanted it was my way to go. But if one is in to game playing, then it might be an interesting thing to look into.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't he practicing? I would have thought he would have had to have been to have been on the medical selection boards and to have been able to get DM back "in" to London?

It seemed to me that he was in administration, only, and not practicing. Running the show but out of medicine himself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, we might add :
    8. Anthony Oakwood, the Asperger's interested psychologist (I think) with the horrible parenting skills.

Boy, it is hard to be comprehensive on any given idea, due to the complexity of this show.

Good addition, yes! Did I miss any others?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many different times throughout the episodes, I've thought that Pauline hopes to really engage with the Doc and have a normal and more familiar or should I say congenial, working relationship and perhaps even a friendship of sorts. She'd like some kudos or acknowledgement but mostly never gets it. He is sort of a father figure, doctor hero, and yet she absolutely tells it like it is, maybe because she can't quite "crack the nut" to have the friendly relationship she'd like with him.

I agree with you completely, SS. I always felt the exact same things you wrote so well above.

I think she wanted to think she had an "in" more than anyone else in the village to DM, with knowing him and relating to him, but she never quite got there to the level she wanted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think she's on paid leave?
    Pauline said she killed people -allegedly.
    I thought it was all in Janet's mind.

Apologies - I meant Janet Sawle, Beth's sister

Janet herself used the term ' gardening leave ' with the expectation that she would return to her post soon...

I cannot believe she was actually responsible for the DEATHS of people and never charged; maybe she used them as guinea pigs and caused them pain and suffering.

However, there is no arguing with the situation of a person in her profession, doing what she was at home, in the basement, on gardening leave, as being other than the result of very unprofessional activities in her past.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seemed to me that he was in administration, only, and not practicing. Running the show but out of medicine himself.

Oh ok. Not sure how UK system works but that could be right. If so he would still be highly regarded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes I felt so sorry for her. You can see why she might have left. :D:D:D

I am glad they've left the door open for her character to return even if it is only to add closure to her relationship with Al. It was a great opportunity for her career that necessitated her leaving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Apologies - I meant Janet Sawle, Beth's sister

Janet herself used the term ' gardening leave ' with the expectation that she would return to her post soon...

I cannot believe she was actually responsible for the DEATHS of people and never charged; maybe she used them as guinea pigs and caused them pain and suffering.

However, there is no arguing with the situation of a person in her profession, doing what she was at home, in the basement, on gardening leave, as being other than the result of very unprofessional activities in her past.

A little research led me to https://www.gov.uk/porton-down which gives a history of the type of work done there. Ved-dy inte-res-tink! Reminds me of some of the experiments we've heard about on soldiers in the US back when. Of course, I'm sure it was the biological part in later years that Janet was doing.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lovely -- please say again when it is being screened in the UK?
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    lovely -- please say again when it is being screened in the UK?

Nice. I'm looking forward to it. It's airing on Thursday, February 7th from 9-10 PM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for the link, umbrellagirl. Look! There's little James Henry Clunes "helping". I love dogs.
This discussion has been closed.