dubrovnik - places to eat, visit

AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
Forum Member
hi

we're off to Dubrovnik next week, hotel is B&B only so would appreciate any tips on where to eat in the town.

planning on an island trip - any other recommnedations for excursions? we won't have a car.

Comments

• PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Loved, everything about the country. But one of my highlights has to be the hour long exhibition of Konalve folk dancing, music and singing that takes place on Sundays at 11am outside St Nicolas Church, Cilipi. Mass is at 10am and the show outside starts shortly after. It is fabulous watching the dancers in their colourful costumes. There is a small charge but there are a few stalls selling local craftware but no one is obliged to buy anything.
    Its in the village of Cilipi and you can take a bus out to it from Dubrovnik .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke7oglHhJus

Cavtat is lovely, about a half hour drive from Dubrovnik or take the water taxi from the harbour .You could spend a lovely afternoon there walking around the bay and the restaurants are lovely .The water taxies are quite frequent and drive along the bay from Dubrovnik to Cavtat taking in the fabulous views on the way
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two coach excursions in particular are well worth doing:

1. Mostar : along the coast, then turn inland along a river valley.

2. Montenegro : to Kotor, then up 40 hairpin bends to a plateau at about 4000 metres. Visit to an old royal palace, then downhill to Budva. On the way back, cross the fjord on a ferry.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    thanks for the tips.

PinkPetunia, the folk dancing sounds lovely but sadly we're going sunday to sunday so won't be there for that
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We stayed at a B&B in Cavtat which really was lovely. On the Sunday night (I think) they served a big, communal "lamb under the bell" to all the guests. Even though I'm not a huge fan of lamb, the festive atmosphere more than made up for it.
  • fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D'Vino Wine Bar is very good for trying the local wines and tasting platters
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I think the best place I ate was Nautika, a fish restaurant with lovely views over the sea just outside the old town. can't remember what the prices were like to be honest.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I think the best place I ate was Nautika, a fish restaurant with lovely views over the sea just outside the old town. can't remember what the prices were like to be honest.

Yes, great place. We went there twice during the ten days we were in Dubrovnik. Quite pricey, as I recall, but worth it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My partner's daughter got married out there last year, and this is an amazing place, most of the sea fronted places in the old town have amazing food, but a bit expensive, or try going up into the side streets for pizza that is cheaper.
    Things to do, a must is the city wall walk, and stop for a drink in the little turret cafe's on the wall. and if your sporty, kayaking is great fun out to sea.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    My partner's daughter got married out there last year, and this is an amazing place, most of the sea fronted places in the old town have amazing food, but a bit expensive, or try going up into the side streets for pizza that is cheaper.
    Things to do, a must is the city wall walk, and stop for a drink in the little turret cafe's on the wall. and if your sporty, kayaking is great fun out to sea.

Oh yes, the kayaking is brilliant! Good call.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had so much fun on this even, though as old ones, we were at the back!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Between two visits to Dubrovnik about five years apart, we found that prices at the restaurants in the Old Town had more than doubled.

However, there's a very nice place in the southwest corner, next to a small market. It does very nice food at reasonable (for Dubrovnik) prices.

At twelve noon the church bell rings, and thousands of birds swoop down from the surrounding roof tops. It's really scary if you're not expecting it.
    epicurian wrote: »
    We stayed at a B&B in Cavtat which really was lovely. On the Sunday night (I think) they served a big, communal "lamb under the bell" to all the guests. Even though I'm not a huge fan of lamb, the festive atmosphere more than made up for it.

Which B&B was that? We stayed at the Hotel Croatia, which is a fantastic place with great food, but you have to climb 164 steps to get back if you come down to the harbour for a drink.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Which B&B was that? We stayed at the Hotel Croatia, which is a fantastic place with great food, but you have to climb 164 steps to get back if you come down to the harbour for a drink.

This place: http://www.dubrovnikexperience.com/

I think it's changed hands since we were there in '05, but it still looks lovely.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We loved Dubrovnik when we visited Croatia. There are loads of places to eat and they all looked pretty good to me. We had a couple of snack meals out at lunchtimes but ate in our hotel at night.

The little boat ride from Dubrov. to Cavtat is a delight. We stayed in Cavtat and totally fell in love with it. It has got to be one of the prettiest, laidback places I've ever visited. There ae some gorgeous little icecream shops down by the harbour where you can just watch the world go by.

Have a lovely holiday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This place: http://www.dubrovnikexperience.com/

I think it's changed hands since we were there in '05, but it still looks lovely.

Thanks, it does look lovely, I'll read it properly later. Just one question : of the 300 metres from the sea, how much is uphill? :)
  • nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Troubadour cafe in the old town often has wonderful live jazz. Katie O Connors Irish pub has grear craic and it's a fun meeting point. Walk the walls, that's a must. I absolutely love everything about Croatia and I would go back to Dubrovnik in a heartbeat..except the cruise ship hordes are overpowering. You only really get to see the city as it should be in the early morning or evening. We arrived at 6am off the ferry from Bari and went from our apartment to change money at the bank at 8am and the Stradun was wonderfully peaceful. We came back 2 hours later and it was a different story! We went a lot of days to Lokrum island to escape the madness. Naturist beach, with ladders into sea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We also went to Lopud on the small ferry from Gruz harbour, absolutely beautiful island and village, Sunj beach a half hour walk away.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Oh this thread makes me long for a trip to Croatia . Its simply beautiful in all aspects

OP ., I know you might not be up for a museum but there is one room at the city gate ( southern end where the small boats are ) Its simply photos and videos of Dubrovnik under seige during the war . The wall is lined with photos of the young men lost . I found it deeply moving and the men and boys all looked so young and so of our time .Any one of them could be my own son .

Another thing I notice in Croatia are the handsome men !!They are all tall and handsome and so good looking .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Pink for remembering that room. Very moving.

Must be something in the water in Croatia. The tennis players are all gigantic!
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Oh this thread makes me long for a trip to Croatia . Its simply beautiful in all aspects

OP ., I know you might not be up for a museum but there is one room at the city gate ( southern end where the small boats are ) Its simply photos and videos of Dubrovnik under seige during the war . The wall is lined with photos of the young men lost . I found it deeply moving and the men and boys all looked so young and so of our time .Any one of them could be my own son .

Another thing I notice in Croatia are the handsome men !!They are all tall and handsome and so good looking .

LOL! Yes, I certainly noticed that too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nancy1975 wrote: »
    We also went to Lopud on the small ferry from Gruz harbour, absolutely beautiful island and village, Sunj beach a half hour walk away.

Yes we took the boat out there, a lovely place, and if you want a special gift look out for the wooden small sculptures to buy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On one of our days we hired a car and drove to Mostar in Bosnia and Herzegovina, and if you don't fancy driving there was also a coach trip. Well worth it, if only to see that wonderful bridge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mostar edit: which I see has already been mentioned. ^^

@jsmith99: I can't remember exactly how much hill there was from our B&B to the harbour, but I don't remember it being too taxing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

@jsmith99: I can't remember exactly how much hill there was from our B&B to the harbour, but I don't remember it being too taxing.

Ah well, that depends on your age and fitness. We used to walk along from the Hotel Croatia, and walk down the bank which came out by the baker's shop. Going back we'd climb the steps!

Looking at their website, they seem to be higher than that.