EE: Nancy is practically a different character these days

2»

Comments

• ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically she needs some good material to work with ! Definitely needs to interact with more people. Sort it out, Eastenders.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Nancy is someone that has a feisty side that comes out when necessary, it hasn't been necessary for ages so of course it's not going to be shown, it's not a change of character at all.

People like Nancy are not always on edge looking for a fight, ya know.
  • lollipop1995lollipop1995 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nancy is someone that has a feisty side that comes out when necessary, it hasn't been necessary for ages so of course it's not going to be shown, it's not a change of character at all.

People like Nancy are not always on edge looking for a fight, ya know.
    Nancy reminds me of Mick in that way. She only becomes hot headed when she feels she needs to be. I know they're very different characters but as OP said Nancy is very compassionate and caring. Linda is also like this.
    They actually behave quite similarly towards Johnny. Nancy is quite protective of Johnny too. Obviously not as protective of Linda is, but she's definitely still very protective and wants the best for him. I think Johnny even said to her in last ep that she was like Linda in that she interfered in his life. So I think Linda and Nancy are more alike than they appear to be in that sense and I'd like to see more bonding scenes with them. I wonder if Nancy wishes her mother was as protective of her as she is to Johnny? In an ep during Christmas I remneber Nancy looking wistfully over at Linda joking with Johnny and it seemed like she wished Linda was like that with her.
    They obviously love each other so I hope we got some nice scenes between them. It's always Mock that comforts Nancy over something so it'd be nice for a change if it was reversed and it was Linda doing the comforting. Anyways, Nancy is a really refreshing character and hopefully she will get some good material very soon :)
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want them to do something with her epilepsy. It just seems to pop up every so often then get dropped.
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    _elly001 wrote: »
    "Real scum"? And you're telling me I need to check my moral views? Okay...

There are some horrible, horrible people in the world. A young woman doing something rash like deciding to get married does not make someone scum. A little bit selfish, yes, a little bit silly, sure, but scum? Nope, not even close.

And yes, the marriage that never happened did make me smile. It was just a humorous way of introducing us to her character, showing us her rebellious side but also he closeness to her dad and her brother. It wasn't meant to be taken seriously and it was quickly dealt with.

Anyway, I'm sure I've had this conversation with you before so it's obviously something you're quite hung about. I'll leave it there.

As for Nancy's more recent portrayal, I agree it's great that we've seen her softer side but all I'm trying to get across is that's all we've seen recently. I want her to be a rounded character who isn't just there to act as the calming voice in her family. She's a feisty, wonderful young woman with a good heart but I love the fact that she came in with a prickly side and I'd hate to see that disappear completely. All I want is more 'oomph' from her right now!
    Getting married for a laugh for the sake of annoying your family is a scummy thing to do, it just showed her lack of class and respect. Maybe she wasn't scum herself but she did a nasty thing.

And I think when the idea of marriage is involved it is going to be taken seriously? I get how you interpret it that way but IMO it wasn't the cheeky rebellious Stacey Slater type entrance, Nancy just looked pathetic. I found her unlikable and in glad she's tamed a bit. I think if they have her loads of storylines when the character was like that then I wouldn't like her.

Something I'm hung about? It was you that made the thread
  • The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    I think she's great and all I see is that 'Enders is adding more complexities to her character.

There's a lot of drama going on within the Carter family at the moment; a lot of underlying (as well as obvious) tension and in the last episode she saw her family reach breaking point with the Johnny and Linda storyline. So it's natural she's a bit different. She can't always be the gobby mare - where's the real character in that? You can't be a gobby mare all the time. Even Kym Marsh (don't hurt me) has other sides to her that we don't know about.

She's my favourite Carter because we don't know an awful lot about her and she intrigues me. When she pulled that funny face at Johnny in their scene outside the Vic the other day, it reminded me of my sister and her playful nature. If they just sat there and cried and felt sorry for themselves, that's when I immediately switch off and feel nothing for them.

Just give it time, I say. Nancy will most likely be a fully formed character in a few months. I just see it as a journey. I don't see any difference in her, just more exploration of her character.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    Getting married for a laugh for the sake of annoying your family is a scummy thing to do, it just showed her lack of class and respect. Maybe she wasn't scum herself but she did a nasty thing.

And I think when the idea of marriage is involved it is going to be taken seriously? I get how you interpret it that way but IMO it wasn't the cheeky rebellious Stacey Slater type entrance, Nancy just looked pathetic. I found her unlikable and in glad she's tamed a bit. I think if they have her loads of storylines when the character was like that then I wouldn't like her.

Something I'm hung about? It was you that made the thread

I didn't make the thread to discuss whether Nancy was "scummy" for those marriage scenes, I made it to discuss the change in her character recently. You're the one that made it personal by questioning my moral judgement for finding those marriage scenes humorous and a good introduction to her character rather than some big serious deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she's great and all I see is that 'Enders is adding more complexities to her character.

There's a lot of drama going on within the Carter family at the moment; a lot of underlying (as well as obvious) tension and in the last episode she saw her family reach breaking point with the Johnny and Linda storyline. So it's natural she's a bit different. She can't always be the gobby mare - where's the real character in that? You can't be a gobby mare all the time. Even Kym Marsh (don't hurt me) has other sides to her that we don't know about.

She's my favourite Carter because we don't know an awful lot about her and she intrigues me. When she pulled that funny face at Johnny in their scene outside the Vic the other day, it reminded me of my sister and her playful nature. If they just sat there and cried and felt sorry for themselves, that's when I immediately switch off and feel nothing for them.

Just give it time, I say. Nancy will most likely be a fully formed character in a few months. I just see it as a journey. I don't see any difference in her, just more exploration of her character.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying, I guess I just want to see a bit more from Nancy, not just one side or another, and hopefully she'll be brought more into focus soon. As I've said all along she desperately needs her own storyline so we can get a better sense of what she's all about.
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I didn't make the thread to discuss whether Nancy was "scummy" for those marriage scenes, I made it to discuss the change in her character recently. You're the one that made it personal by questioning my moral judgement for finding those marriage scenes humorous and a good introduction to her character rather than some big serious deal.
    If you're going to make the thread about her character change then people will respond with their opinions and how they found the character before the 'change'. I gave my opinion that I preferred the change as Nancy was very unlikable back then. I wasn't questioning your moral judgement for finding the actual scene humorous as that would be hypocritical given I've cheered on murderers during soaps :blush: But your post sounded as if you admired what she did as an idea in general, apologies if I'm wrong
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    "Go on Johnny, be Gay, be free" ? - AND without being malicious or facetious ? I'm sorry, but Nancy is the golden glue of the Carter family. The way I see it, the Carter family or all on the swings and Nancy is the one pushing them and once they've gone high enough and wish to come down, it'll be Nancy's turn to fly high - and I actually CAN wait until she gets her turn because I want to get as much if the benefit she gives at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Go on Johnny, be Gay, be free" ? - AND without being malicious or facetious ? I'm sorry, but Nancy is the golden glue of the Carter family. The way I see it, the Carter family or all on the swings and Nancy is the one pushing them and once they've gone high enough and wish to come down, it'll be Nancy's turn to fly high - and I actually CAN wait until she gets her turn because I want to get as much if the benefit she gives at the moment.

Lovely post, and I have to admit I did see a lot of the fire in Nancy tonight that I've been missing recently. I'm glad she stuck up for Johnny and helped (along with Stan of course) to bring him and Linda back together.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    I think she has been the same all the way through. Fiesty and sparky, but with a real softness and warmth and a great sense of humour. She is utterly fantastic.
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She was great tonight :)
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was good tonight! :D