Instead of VOTES, release the performances by each act and see who SELLS the most

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
1. Simon can still make money
2. We'd get to see who realistically would be able to sell in the real world.

Of course the charts would be bombarded for a quarter of the year with Xfactor rubbish, but it's always filled with rubbish anyway.

Comments

• Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No that would destroy the integrity of the charts. Maybe people should only vote if they would buy their songs in the real world, that would make sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    No that would destroy the integrity of the charts. Maybe people should only vote if they would buy their songs in the real world, that would make sense.
    The sales wouldn't have to be counted to the chart (or even released tbh), I think it'd be a good idea
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    They'd make much less money this way because they'd have to pay royalties for each cover song (lets face it, they're all covers), distribution costs (e.g. Apple taking a cut of the profit) etc...

£1 per phone call is much easier, especially when it's an automated service (or I assume it is - I have never voted, but I pretty much doubt they have millions of people sitting in a call centre :p)

Plus, you're singling out people who download music. Almost everyone has a phone of some sort and they can vote multiple times. People will be less inclined to download a paid-for song multiple times... if they even download it in the first place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    They'd make much less money this way because they'd have to pay royalties for each cover song (lets face it, they're all covers), distribution costs (e.g. Apple taking a cut of the profit) etc...

£1 per phone call is much easier, especially when it's an automated service (or I assume it is - I have never voted, but I pretty much doubt they have millions of people sitting in a call centre :p)

Plus, you're singling out people who download music. Almost everyone has a phone of some sort and they can vote multiple times. People will be less inclined to download a paid-for song multiple times... if they even download it in the first place.

It's 35p per call (via BT landlines, at least). The rest of your post is pretty much spot on, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    anactoria wrote: »
    It's 35p per call. The rest of your post is pretty much spot on, though.

Oops! I think something on the show is £1... perhaps the competition? I obviously got that mixed up :p

But, yeah, same applies. Phone calls will be making much more than downloads will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a horrible idea, TBH. It's unfair to the contestants and to the fans, seeing people with more money would buy their favorites more than once. All this would show is which contestant has the wealthier fans, after all over time, paying for songs would total up much faster than calling.

Of course, you could set up algorithms to ensure that only song per itunes account count, but they are many ways to get around that. Plus, if you did set up such algorithms, Itunes should surely crash with so much data being transferred over in such a short period of time.

Not to mention you would be isolating anyone without a credit card computer, most people nowadays at least have phones. Not to mention many of the older viewers would have no idea how to buy off itunes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like this idea, but I fear it may skew the result more towards the most popular song each week as opposed to the most popular singer. It may become a song contest rather than a singing contest (not that it actually is a singing contest, but you know what I mean...)

I'd be interested after this series to compare the weekly voting figures to the weekly performance download figures. Wonder whether they will be released.
  • Mr_X_123Mr_X_123 Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should definitely do this. And restrict it to one song per account. That way the block voting of silly little teenage girls would be stopped.

And a true market appeal of each artist would be determined.

I think it would make quite a big change.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    They did do this on popstars the rivals (cheryls one), the highest charting band won (obviously it was the girls) but TBH it took at bit of the fun out of the show as everyone knew who'd won before the final show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not perfect but I like the ethos behind the idea OP - might stop multivoting too. However, as poster above says people would know the frontrunners and the suspense would be killed as weeks went on.
  • GhostlyMaryGhostlyMary Posts: 339
    Forum Member

As well as the contestants getting performers' royalties. I think the American Idol contestants make some money out of this as their studio versions of each weeks' performances are sold on itunes. Correct me if I'm wrong as I don't watch the show.
  • GhostlyMaryGhostlyMary Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    They did do this on popstars the rivals (cheryls one), the highest charting band won (obviously it was the girls) but TBH it took at bit of the fun out of the show as everyone knew who'd won before the final show.

That's not how they did it at all.

There were no "winners" as such. The final shows were when the groups were put together with one last male and one last female contestant being eliminated, leaving five of each. There was no further show after that. Just the releases of the singles by both groups. The girls got to #1 and the boys to #2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    They could do this now with the non-elligible tracks that get released each week. I think it's a good policy because they could limit the purchases or at least only count one download per artist per week so there would be no block voting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They ARE doing this (releasing the perfornances on iTunes) but not making public the sales data. It's probably influencing the judges decisions though and may explain how Katie survived 4 sing-offs.
  • OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member
    http://therealchart.blogspot.com/

Most weeks Matt is top, followed by Rebecca
  • *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    Orri wrote: »
    http://therealchart.blogspot.com/
    Most weeks Matt is top, followed by Rebecca

I doubt this is official. Cher #1 with Stay?...i love her but i don't think so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    That's not how they did it at all.

There were no "winners" as such. The final shows were when the groups were put together with one last male and one last female contestant being eliminated, leaving five of each. There was no further show after that. Just the releases of the singles by both groups. The girls got to #1 and the boys to #2.

they did actually:

'ITV broadcast a special show on 22 December 2002 to reveal which of the two groups (if either) had made it to number one in the UK Singles Chart. '

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popstars_The_Rivals